Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Signal Strength

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

I'm not having a problem on any other DVR so I'll wait & see if the levels drop any more & when I am ready to have them troubleshoot the HR20 they will probably want to have someone come install it & I'll have them check the dish then.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

'make' those lower ;)

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

'make' those lower ;)

You wouldn't be suggesting to throw a wet towel over this would you? :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

That would make it as really cheating ! Not telling signal would be pushing down to zero...

#25 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

be very careful about 'making' your numbers lower to get a tech visit.

If the tech comes out, and you say your getting pixelation/ff and whatnot on your system, and he finds good numbers, he's either going to walk with a 'call us if it breaks again', or after several minutes of question and answer he's going to find the problem with the HR20, and when he does, it's going to get replaced, or he's going to walk with a 'call us when your ready to have you system repaired'.

If you do manage to lie and hide the 20 from the tech and he peaks your dish and closes the call, if you finish the recordings on the 20 in under 90 days and call for a replacement, your going to end up in case management which means more lying to directv, and pop that tech for a sinXX and a backcharge.

~Netraa

#26 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

Thanks -- when I call it will be specifically for the HR20 unless my signal numbers really do get lower.

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

My point was - the signal level is fluctuating during day hours, weather changes; so, it's pretty close to ordinary see drop to minus 5 or [storm/heavy clouds time] minus ten points.
Deducting the value from your lowest will bring it to that range when it will trigger track roll to re-aiming the dish [and replace LNBF, cabling, switch - if necessary].

#28 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

Now this is interesting. I left the HR20 on the signal strength screen yesterday & turned off the TV. Just now, I turned the TV on & the signal strengths were all still fine. I went to the menu to look at what was recorded on the box & then was going to delete the TV Mail. While I was doing that the screen froze. It unfroze after about 20 seconds & I was continuing on & it froze again for another 20 seconds. I went to the signal strength screen & I again have 0's in some of the non-spotbeam slots & as I let it update, some come back & others go to 0. Curiously, the 18 spot, which is supposed to be 0 had a 15 for a couple of minutes. I'm going to disconnect the external drive, reboot the DVR, & let it go a day or two on the internal drive to see what happens.

#29 OFFLINE   bearcat250

bearcat250

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

This may or may not help but at one time I had signal strength issues. After trying several things I took the surge protector out of the system. Bypassed the surge protector and ran the cables directly from the dish into my two HR21's. Signal strength increased to normal levels.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...