Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BBMP vs Netflix

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jc8097654

jc8097654

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

Have had Netflix for the past two years and have been very happy with it, especially the streaming service for my two young children... Overall, how does the online BBMP content compare to Netflix? How about the Blu-Ray mail order service?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

Have had Netflix for the past two years and have been very happy with it, especially the streaming service for my two young children... Overall, how does the online BBMP content compare to Netflix? How about the Blu-Ray mail order service?

Don't use the streaming much but has worked fine when I have. mail wise, I can send a disk back on Monday, and have a new one on Wednesday, Thursday at the latest.

#3 OFFLINE   ssmark

ssmark

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

From streaming perspective - Netflix is a whole lot bigger in variety (HD) than BBMP.
From Disk perspective - With BBMP you can exchange ONE rental at the store. The next one needs to be from queue. Netflix has more varieties of disks (Blu Ray). They have similar shipping time. Comparing apples to apples - BBMP is cheaper than Netflix (Disks + Streaming) but you get what you pay for. However, BBMP is closing local stores throughout US so you may not be able to use the instore exchange (YMMV).

Edited by ssmark, 31 December 2011 - 09:05 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Wolfpanther

Wolfpanther

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

Netflix charges additional fees for blu-ray, the more discs in your plan the more the monthly blu-ray fee. Blockbuster you receive blu-ray or regular discs for the same price.

#5 OFFLINE   ssmark

ssmark

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:30 AM

Yes, I missed Wolfpanther's point.

#6 OFFLINE   ssmark

ssmark

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:31 AM

In BBMP, you can have upto 3 disks out ($10 for the first one, $5 more for the second one, and $5 more -total $10 for 3 disks out).

Not sure, if Netflix even gives an option of upto 3 disks out.

#7 OFFLINE   lee78221

lee78221

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:50 AM

Not sure, if Netflix even gives an option of upto 3 disks out.

Netflix gives the option of upto 1-8

#8 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

After using Netflix streaming for almost a year (and watching almost no conventional TV), the idea of inserting a DVD into a player seems - well - sorta old fashioned. We have had no desire to rent or buy a DVD in this time, and haven't done so.

#9 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

I've been a Netflix customer for quite a few years. I just dropped my one at a time DVD plus Bluray service but kept the streaming.

I feel the Dish/Blockbuster streaming is very poor compared to Netflix. Titles available are dependent on your channel package (why not just record it when you get the chance!!!) The interface is horrible. I can stream Netflix titles on my relatively slow 1.5 internet service but my wait for Dish streaming is out there in the "hours" time frame.

I also feel that Dish/Blockbuster disc service is poor compared to Netflix. For now (I have no doubt it won't be in the future) it's free so I decided I am willing to live with it's shortcomings and save money by dropping Netflix discs. Selection not as good, availability is poor, and it takes about two to three extra days turnaround at my address to receive new discs.

#10 OFFLINE   chris vesuvio

chris vesuvio

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

I have been a Netflix customer for about 10 years now. I have been streaming since they started the service and I love it. I know it cost extra for Blu-ray titles but of course there is no compression with a disk. The streaming HD content still looks descent on my 92" home theater screen but disc is still better.
Have you looked into VUDU. http://www.vudu.com/
They offer HDX 1080p content w/DD plus audio. You can also view new theatrical trailers which is great. They are a pay on demand service so your credit card is only charged for what you watch.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” Jack Kerouac

#11 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

I have the Blockbuster 3 disc-at-a-time deal as well as Netflix streaming. Can't really compare the streaming since I've never streamed with Blockbuster, but I love Netflix's streaming. Their collection of TV shows is impressive, and there's enough movies to keep me satisfied when I want something right away as well.

As for the disc services, I've gone with Blockbuster because for the same price as Netflix's 3 discs at a time plan with Blu-Ray, I can get the same 3 discs at a time from Blockbuster, which includes Blu-Ray and video games as well. The one thing that Netflix's delivery service has on BB is the availability and speed of their delivery, but with BB's ability to exchange rentals in store (in addition to the games), I've decided to stay with them.

#12 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

I have been a Netflix customer for about 10 years now. I have been streaming since they started the service and I love it. I know it cost extra for Blu-ray titles but of course there is no compression with a disk. The streaming HD content still looks descent on my 92" home theater screen but disc is still better.
Have you looked into VUDU. http://www.vudu.com/
They offer HDX 1080p content w/DD plus audio. You can also view new theatrical trailers which is great. They are a pay on demand service so your credit card is only charged for what you watch.

Vudu, like all "Pay On Demand" video download rental services, IMO, is way overpriced. If you live anywhere near a B&M store (such as Blockbuster or Family Video) or Redbox why pay $5.99 (although I've taken advantage of the 99 cent daily deals) for a 1080p stream (which isn't always 1080p) when you can pay $2.99 or less for a Blu-ray rental? I'm all for convinence, but that is way too expensive. And please don't say your wasting gas and time to get to and from a video store. Unless you're homebound, you can always incorporate a trip to the video store when you're doing something else. I'm extremely lucky because my local BBV store is only a half mile away and we always walk to it from my house.

I've been a Netflix subscriber for several years now. I dropped the "one disc by mail" portion when Dish included Blockbuster By Mail to our Platinum subscription. The fact that I can do the in-store exchange makes the plan better for me and I'm saving $8.47 ($7.99 + MI sales tax) per month on top of that. But Netflix streaming tops BB streaming by a wide margin. And I can stream Netflix from a variety of devices compared to only being able to stream BB from my 722K or a pc.

As a free addition, BB is great. But in the streaming department, it isn't worth dropping Netflix. And I'm sure the reason the streaming service is only available to Dish customers is because even they know that it isn't ready to compete with Netflix in the open market.

#13 OFFLINE   ruralruss

ruralruss

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

BBMP web interface sucks. Netflix web interface is superb. I dropped Netflix however because BBMP is free to me and I am cheap.

#14 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

I've been a Netflix customer for many years but I rarely watch anything streaming because the selection is pretty limited, especially in HD. I dropped Netflix from 3 Discs to 2 and also use the free one disc at a time from BB. I see very similar turnaround times for new disks from both services. The closest processing center for both is in the same city in my case so I send a disk on Monday and have the next one on Wednesday or sometimes Thursday. I agree that Netflix's website it WAY better than BB's but I've used Netflix for years so I'm very familiar with it and that may be part of the reason I like it so much better.

One thing I've not seen anyone else mention though is that BB will have new releases from many studios weeks or months before Netflix does because of the deals Netflix signed. If you want the newest releases as soon as possible this is a big deal. In the short time we've had BBMP I've used it several times already to get movies that Netflix wouldn't have for another month or longer.

I plan to keep both for the time being but will probably drop the Netflix streaming service. I don't use it enough to justify $8 a month because I don't have children and unless it's an old movie or TV show I almost refuse to watch SD.

#15 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

I have had Netflix on and off for many years. After all their shenanigans last summer, I dropped the streaming and went back to just the discs. (Better audio and video quality.)

With that said, Netflix streaming is a lot easier to use than BBMP. Better interface, better selection. HOWEVER, I now have about 300 titles in my Netflix queue. For some reason, the streaming number went from about 64 down to about 38 from early last year to late last year. Maybe them losing the rights. So for me, the streaming just wasn't worth it any more because of the poor selection compared to discs.

My wife uses the streaming a lot on BBMP though. She doesn't really look for specific titles like I do, she just wants "something to watch", and at least in that regard, BBMP has enough of a selection to keep her happy, and she has gotten used to the crappy interface.

For my kids? (6 year old twins Kenny and Karina) we have to go to the local Blockbuster because they want to look at the boxes to decide what they want to watch. I tried showing them the titles on Netflix on the PC for discs-by-mail, and that just didn't float their boat. They want to go look at the boxes themselves.

And now my son more often than not now wants games more than movies, so now we also have Kids Passes at the local store. I really like the flexibility that we can get with BB and all the different plans and options.

So BBMP works really well for us in that we go to the local BB at least once a week anyway, and being able to exchange in-store is a real benefit.

#16 OFFLINE   chris vesuvio

chris vesuvio

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

I forgot to mention in my earlier post about this site http://instantwatcher.com/
Great for looking thru all of the streaming choices for Netflix.

If anyone knows of a similar site please post.
Thanks.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” Jack Kerouac

spam firewall