Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Google TV questions before buying

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:20 AM

Questions about Google TV and my 722k receiver:

1. will the $179 box work well with my sling adapter already in use that is in a usb port in my 722k?

2. I'm an Amazon Prime member. Would I be able to access my Amazon account using this Dish/Google setup to watch streaming Amazon programming?

3. Are some TV's incapable of working with Internet viewing? I have an older Sony Wega, but I'm guessing it would be capable.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

Questions about Google TV and my 722k receiver:

1. will the $179 box work well with my sling adapter already in use that is in a usb port in my 722k?

2. I'm an Amazon Prime member. Would I be able to access my Amazon account using this Dish/Google setup to watch streaming Amazon programming?

3. Are some TV's incapable of working with Internet viewing? I have an older Sony Wega, but I'm guessing it would be capable.

1) Please dont pay $179, the going price is $99 or less!
2) I dont know answer.
3) The Revue only has HDMI inputs and outputs, no other connections, if your Wega is not HD no go...

#3 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

1) Please dont pay $179, the going price is $99 or less!
2) I dont know answer.
3) The Revue only has HDMI inputs and outputs, no other connections, if your Wega is not HD no go...

i just bought one for $99 at amazon.com

#4 ONLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

I have two, and one was bricked by the honeycomb update! I'm just glad it was not built into a TV.

#5 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

I have two, and one was bricked by the honeycomb update! I'm just glad it was not built into a TV.

A) Did you get it working?
B) How was it bricked? OTA download or did you grab one of the update packages to do it yourself?

I bricked mine after I got tired of waiting and got it working. If this happened to you, let me know.

#6 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

As mentioned don't pay over $99. But also be sure to read reviews by users and see if the Roku wouldn't be better, depending on how you really will use it.

#7 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

Comparing it to a Roku is a great point. I have a Roku hooked up to the same TV as the Revue and the only thing I use the Revue for is search and HBO Go.

If you're more interested in streaming content (minus HBO Go), the Roku is the way to go. You can access all most all of the same content on the Revue using Chrome, but it's so slow.

If you want search, HBO Go and access to YouTube and other Web content, Google TV is great. The Netflix app works well as do most of the web videos that I have tried.

Another consideration for you if $180 is your budget, look at the Boxee box. It's ugly, but it's a nice alternative and more or less combines the best of the Roku and Google TV.

#8 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

Even though I like Google TV, I wouldn't recommend the Revue since Logitech has announced that they are no longer going to produce the Revue. Although they seem to be providing good support for the latest software update, once the last Revue is sold, they won't have much reason to continue to support it.

Sony makes add-on Google TV devices and other manufacturers are entering the market.

-- Roger

#9 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

Amazon streaming on Google TV isn't very good, btw. The "Amazon Instant Videos" app just loads Amazon.com's site in the browser. You can use Google TV's search function to find videos, so it's a little better than having just a browser. But, it's nowhere near as easy to use as Netflix.

-- Roger

#10 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

The company that gets a set top box working with the sling/dish installed app. would get alot of new sales!!

#11 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

My Sony Wega only has s-video inputs so i may have to wait for a new TV,:mad:
haha.

#12 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

Comparing it to a Roku is a great point. I have a Roku hooked up to the same TV as the Revue and the only thing I use the Revue for is search and HBO Go.

If you're more interested in streaming content (minus HBO Go), the Roku is the way to go. You can access all most all of the same content on the Revue using Chrome, but it's so slow.

If you want search, HBO Go and access to YouTube and other Web content, Google TV is great. The Netflix app works well as do most of the web videos that I have tried.

Another consideration for you if $180 is your budget, look at the Boxee box. It's ugly, but it's a nice alternative and more or less combines the best of the Roku and Google TV.

HBO GO IS on Roku and works great. I have been watching (again) Deadwood and the picture is excellent. BTW, Amazon on Roku is amazing. A brand new UI when to go to it makes it one of the best apps I have used for movies.

#13 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

I believe Roku does not have a slingplayer app yet. Google tv and Boxee do. I am not speaking from experience only from reading info online.

#14 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

I believe Roku does not have a slingplayer app yet. Google tv and Boxee do. I am not speaking from experience only from reading info online.

Not for the sling/dish support....only sling players

#15 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

apparently Roku will work on a standard TV for those who, short term, don't mind not seeing things in HD.

#16 ONLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:52 AM

A) Did you get it working?
B) How was it bricked? OTA download or did you grab one of the update packages to do it yourself?

I bricked mine after I got tired of waiting and got it working. If this happened to you, let me know.

The Logitech forums have a lot of folks with the same problem as I have. The Company pretty much closed down over the holidays, and so we are just waiting to see if there will be a solution. There has been no good reason why the bricking occurred, but most seem to blame corrupt firmware that came with the Revue.

#17 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

just want to be sure i understand:

Will the sling adapter work (allowing me access to my DVR from any handheld device, etc.) with the Roku setup?

#18 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:20 AM

Not through the Roku, but the Roku won't interfere with using it. If for some reason you need a box to interface with the Sling Adaptor, it's not the Roku.

But if you have the sling adapter, the Dish app works well on mobile devices. I'm not sure some box is needed for use with the sling adaptor unless you are trying to use it as an actual Slingbox. In that case the Slingbox is 1000% better than the adapter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...