Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A couple questions reagrding MRV and receivers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alucard

alucard

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

I have the R22 (w/HD) and I do get the option for Whole Home. However while searching the internet and the site i see some places that says it isnt supported and needs a BSF while others say it is. not sure which is true. I have two R22's but one of them doesn't need to be part of MRV.

The rest of my receivers are HR21's and HR22's. For these models do i need a BSF if i dont want them to be part of MRV or just leave them as is?

Everything right now is connected via SWM and green label connectors.

thank you for the help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,389 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

This thread has a table in the first post that answers your questions.

Are your R22s working right now?

I believe if you want to complete isolate one of your DVRs, you can add a BSF (I'll let someone like VOS address this), but you can also change this under the Whole-Home system set up (change Allow External Access to "Block").

#3 OFFLINE   alucard

alucard

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

trh,
thank you for your reply. that thread is one that confused me. :)

When i searched for R22 on that thread i see where people were able to get it to work in "unsupported mode" but I'm not sure if that means i just connect a cat5 to the back of that receiver to my home network or if i am able to use the DECA. I would rather use the DECA since most of my receivers are not close to my home network and im not sure what IP addressing scheme i would need if one is on my home network getting a DHCP and the others are using DECA. (on my to do list is to run cat5 cables to each room but you know how that goes) :)

Yes, my R22's are working and i do see the option for Whole Home (when i select it i get the options for share playlist, etc. although it does tell me its not activated of course).

I'm thinking i just need to order DECA's for the receivers i want to connect to the MRV but the R22 was my hiccup since ive heard a couple different things.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

From what you've posted so far, if you want to go with DECA, you'll need one for each receiver you want to use MRV, AND one BSF for each receiver that doesn't have a DECA. Then one more broadband DECA or CCK to bridge to your router.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   alucard

alucard

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

From what you've posted so far, if you want to go with DECA, you'll need one for each receiver you want to use MRV, AND one BSF for each receiver that doesn't have a DECA. Then one more broadband DECA or CCK to bridge to your router.

Excellent, thank you. As for the CCK and broadband DECA, is one preferred over the other?

edit: i may have answered my own question. Looks like the CCK has wireless and more features?

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

Excellent, thank you. As for the CCK and broadband DECA, is one preferred over the other?

edit: i may have answered my own question. Looks like the CCK has wireless and more features?

The wireless does have more options [can be used in a wired mode too] and is the latest one to be released.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   alucard

alucard

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

The wireless does have more options [can be used in a wired mode too] and is the latest one to be released.

Sorry, one more question. Does the CCK give me internet access for each receiver or do i need to get one for each receiver?

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

Yes, it gives internet access to every receiver if they are networked via coax.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

in very simple terms, if connected correctly, it connects your Whole Home network to your home internet connection, giving all your networked dvrs access to VOD, etc...only certain features are accessible through the non-DVR models that are connected to your whole home setup.

#10 OFFLINE   alucard

alucard

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:28 PM

Thank you. I'll have to look at some wiring diagrams. I see the PDF from DirecTV on how to hook it up but it shows it connecting to one HD-DVR (in between the DECA, http://www.directv.c...User_Manual.pdf).

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

Thank you. I'll have to look at some wiring diagrams. I see the PDF from DirecTV on how to hook it up but it shows it connecting to one HD-DVR (in between the DECA, http://www.directv.c...User_Manual.pdf).

This would be one way:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1311788989

With this setup, you can either use it wireless or wired [by connecting to the port shown]
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   alucard

alucard

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thank you VOS.

When I see "unsupported mode" on the forums is that when users just bypass DECA and put Cat5 directly from the receiver to the router/switch?

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Thank you VOS.

When I see "unsupported mode" on the forums is that when users just bypass DECA and put Cat5 directly from the receiver to the router/switch?

Generally that is true, but then if someone adds to a DECA things like a switch for the PS3 to "leverage" their DECA network, this too falls under "unsupported".
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...