Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish DVR with a "Smart" TV

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

So here's my question. I just purchased a new Samsung Smart LED & a Samsung Smart BD Player w/Wi-Fi onboard. On either one I can stream apps & video from many sources, Blockbuster, Netfix, Hulu & many more. In 20 years of being a Dish customer, I have never had a Dish DVR. Until I called a Dish CSR, I wasn't aware that one was req'd to utilize the "Blockbuster Movie Pass," unless of course I choose the "snail-mail" option of (1) disk at a time. So basically the "Movie Pass" is useless to me!
If I choose to go with a DVR (which one, I don't know), will there be pros or cons since I do have the "Smart TV" apps mentioned above? Would it even be worth it? And if I don't, can I cancel the "Movie Pass' feature from Dish & save the add'l $10 w/o affecting my current (Platinum) HD package? FYI: My bill shows Dish Platinum for $10 & the HD 250 for $10 in addition to America's Top 250 for $69.99. I don't like paying for something I'm not using or plan on using even if it is only $10!

Ken

Edited by khearrean, 31 December 2011 - 08:28 AM.

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

Movie Pass IS Dish Platinum w/ the Blockbuster features included for the same $10... If you don't want those Platinum channels, then you can drop it... But if you want the channels why would you have a problem? Just don't use the extra features in Movie Pass.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

So here's my question. I just purchased a new Samsung Smart LED & a Samsung Smart BD Player w/Wi-Fi onboard. On either one I can stream apps & video from many sources, Blockbuster, Netfix, Hulu & many more. In 20 years of being a Dish customer, I have never had a Dish DVR. Until I called a Dish CSR, I wasn't aware that one was req'd to utilize the "Blockbuster Movie Pass," unless of course I choose the "snail-mail" option of (1) disk at a time. So basically the "Movie Pass" is useless to me!
If I choose to go with a DVR (which one, I don't know), will there be pros or cons since I do have the "Smart TV" apps mentioned above? Would it even be worth it? And if I don't, can I cancel the "Movie Pass' feature from Dish & save the add'l $10 w/o affecting my current (Platinum) HD package? FYI: My bill shows Dish Platinum for $10 & the HD 250 for $10 in addition to America's Top 250 for $69.99. I don't like paying for something I'm not using or plan on using even if it is only $10!

Ken

Next time buy a Roku. They have 300 free channels.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...