Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

hdmi

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ms1960

ms1960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

I hooked up a 50ft hdmi cable from living room to bedroom and the tv in the bedroom says unsupported. Is their something that I could have done wrong or possibly a bad cable. The cable is new so does anybody have any suggestiions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

Did you hook this cable up to any other devices to make sure it works?

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

That's pretty long for HDMI.

#4 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

true,

I have a 25ft hd cable that works fine tho.

Wonder what version the 50ft is.

I think 2.0 is the newest

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

true,

I have a 25ft hd cable that works fine tho.

Wonder what version the 50ft is.

I think 2.0 is the newest

It's the guage (and quality) of the cable that matters.

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

1.4 is the latest version.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

my mistake.

1.4 seems to be the latest.

#8 OFFLINE   John Williams

John Williams

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

1.4 seems to be the latest.

Misconception.
There has only been 1 update to HDMI cables and that was version 1.3. Version numbers are mostly to due with hardware and software and not the cables.
http://www.hdmi.org/...ying_guide.aspx

To the original poster
You gave us zero information on your setup. No brand or model of cable, no info on source or display, etc...
All I can tell you is 50 feet is a hell of a long way to run an HDMI cable. Most cheap cables will not pass a 1080p signal at that distance, and even a good cable would have trouble passing a full 3D 1080p image.
Also: the TV saying "unsupported" would indicate to me you have a TV that doesn't support the resolution you are trying to send to it.

Edited by John Williams, 02 January 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   ms1960

ms1960

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

The hdmi cable says High Speed E301195 AWM style20276 80c 30v vw-1 pak heng don't know what any of this means. On the samsung tv in the bedroom it says mode not supported.

#10 OFFLINE   John Williams

John Williams

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

Well, that's a generic Chinese cable using 34awg wire. I would be surprised if that cable at 50 feet could pass 1080i. The problem is a cable like this, at that length should have never been manufactured at all... it simply will not work for most things.
You need to buy a new "proper" cable. Even a Monoprice.com cable would be an improvement over this - and I don't endorse Monoprice.

We still don't know what model Samsung TV it is. That would tell us what resolutions it can accept. If it's a small older model Samsung, it might not even accept a 1080p input (1080i might be the highest).

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

temporary move the receiver close to the TV and using short HDMI check/set proper resolution

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,716 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:28 AM

Well, that's a generic Chinese cable using 34awg wire. I would be surprised if that cable at 50 feet could pass 1080i. The problem is a cable like this, at that length should have never been manufactured at all... it simply will not work for most things.
You need to buy a new "proper" cable. Even a Monoprice.com cable would be an improvement over this - and I don't endorse Monoprice.

We still don't know what model Samsung TV it is. That would tell us what resolutions it can accept. If it's a small older model Samsung, it might not even accept a 1080p input (1080i might be the highest).

Not looking for a argument, just curious. You don't endorse Monoprice.com cable which seems to be the favorite for most on this site. Why not and what brand cable would you endorse?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#13 OFFLINE   John Williams

John Williams

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

Not looking for a argument, just curious. You don't endorse Monoprice.com cable which seems to be the favorite for most on this site. Why not and what brand cable would you endorse?

Let's just say as a professional, I have to use a product that I know works everytime. Although the Monoprice stuff may work for a lot of people for thier situtation, it's certainly not any great quality of product. And when pushed on performance it shows sometimes.
Cables brands that I'm am currently using are: Liberty Wire & Cable, Ethereal, and few other for certain things here and there (like Belden, Comscope, ...). But I'm not tied to a brand name, it's whatever is the best value.

That being said. I do use Monoprice myself for a few small things, like power cords. But I would never use any of their electronics, speakers, or mounts.

The fact that I've seen some people use Monoprice speakers and said they sounded great, is just sad. Real sad! It only goes to show how low of stanadards most people have when it comes to audio quality. But now my posts on this board are starting to sound like a broken record. So I digress.

#14 OFFLINE   ms1960

ms1960

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

The tv is a 23 inch 720p it has two hdmi inputs one is hooked up to a directv receiver thats in the bedroom and the one I was trying to hookup is a fta receiver from the living room. The directv receiver works fine on either hdmi inputs but the fta receiver won't work on either one.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

then try the 50' cable between the TV and DTV receiver

#16 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,716 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Let's just say as a professional, I have to use a product that I know works everytime. Although the Monoprice stuff may work for a lot of people for thier situtation, it's certainly not any great quality of product. And when pushed on performance it shows sometimes.
Cables brands that I'm am currently using are: Liberty Wire & Cable, Ethereal, and few other for certain things here and there (like Belden, Comscope, ...). But I'm not tied to a brand name, it's whatever is the best value.

That being said. I do use Monoprice myself for a few small things, like power cords. But I would never use any of their electronics, speakers, or mounts.

The fact that I've seen some people use Monoprice speakers and said they sounded great, is just sad. Real sad! It only goes to show how low of stanadards most people have when it comes to audio quality. But now my posts on this board are starting to sound like a broken record. So I digress.

I too prefer quality and don't buy into the myth all cables are equal and are just priced differently.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

I too prefer quality and don't buy into the myth all cables are equal and are just priced differently.

Each cable (not from same mfg batch) is different, only using lab test equipment you can be sure in it. Question is - would you trust ads without real test's results?

#18 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

Poking around on the monoprice web site - I found this info - Also if you plan in wall install-Test the cable before you put it in the wall.

Note - TO OP - Your cable may be fine but your equipment may not be happy with it.

The maximum range for HDMI is not set and can vary from one set up to another. That is one pair of equipment may be able to function at one distance, but another pair of equipment may work at a much longer range.

Basically, with regards to high speed certified performance standards, 28AWG cables can go up to 10ft, 24AWG can go up to 15ft and 22AWG can go up to 25ft.

For more basic requirements like 1080p, most equipment will function up to 50ft using 22AWG cables. But again, results can vary from one set up to another. Most pairs can even do 75ft with the amplified cables (75ft 26AWG CL2 Standard HDMI® Cable w/ Built-in Equalizer - ).

Beyond that it can be hit or miss and you have to try it with your particular set up to get a definite answer.

Like Life it's a crap -shoot :sure:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#19 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

Component works a lot better for long runs. OP, is it possible to pull component to that other TV?

#20 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

then try the 50' cable between the TV and DTV receiver

To OP, did you try this?

Just curious.

If it works, then is has to be the FTA reciever that is not happy. How was the FTA set up in the living room? HDMI to TV? If yes, what is the resolution of the TV?

Edited by satcrazy, 09 January 2012 - 01:44 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...