Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR34 Error 47 (was CCK Weak Connectivity)

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

Gotcha, I was looking at yours and not his on the second post.:nono: My bad.

"yeah", like I would post crappy results on my setup [even if I had them :lol:]
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   LoweBoy

LoweBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

"yeah", like I would post crappy results on my setup [even if I had them :lol:]

I have mine with some questionable results but I don't have any issues. I am going to get a 4 way and remove a 8 way to see if it corrects some of my issues. I also live in a house that was built in mid 80's so it has some older RG6.
I network off of couple of my nodes to stream Netflix ;).

Edited by LoweBoy, 01 January 2012 - 11:57 AM.

LoweBoy
1 HR34-700 -- Pioneer VSX-1021 -- Samsung 55" B8k
1 HR24-500 -- Samsung 46" C8k
1 HR20-100 -- Vizio 32"
1 H25-700-- Vizio 32"
1 H25-500-- Samsung 40"

nomad & MRV all self installed
iPads & iPhones & AppleTV

#23 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

The two things are:
1) the MESH rates for node 1 are too low, thus causing the error message.
2) the Levels show 57, which is too high.
The MESH rates drop off when the levels are too low [high loss readings].

Based on everything I have posted, do you have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this? Thanks

Jim

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

I have mine with some questionable results but I don't have any issues. I am going to get a 4 way and remove a 8 way to see if it corrects some of my issues. I also live in a house that was built in mid 80's so it has some older RG6.
I network off of couple of my nodes to stream Netflix ;).

Changing from 8-ways to 4-ways changes the DECA loss [for the green labeled splitters] from -14 to -11 dB.
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   LoweBoy

LoweBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

Sorry to high jack your thread. I noticed the other thread poped up right after this one.

Which way does the HR34 go? 40 or 50 for too much?
LoweBoy
1 HR20-100 -- Vizio 32"
1 H25-700-- Vizio 32"
1 H25-500-- Samsung 40"

#26 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

Sorry to high jack your thread. I noticed the other thread poped up right after this one.

This will all get standardized in up coming software, but "for now" if the PHY levels are -xx, they are the lower limits, and if they don't have the minus sign, they are the upper limits.
A.K.A VOS

#27 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

I am not sure what you mean here?

#28 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

Changing from 8-ways to 4-ways changes the DECA loss [for the green labeled splitters] from -14 to -11 dB.

Is this something I should do or is there a better option to better my system?

#29 OFFLINE   LoweBoy

LoweBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

I was asking VOS. None of what I asked really pertained to your specific issues. I was looking for the limits of the coax testing.
LoweBoy
1 HR20-100 -- Vizio 32"
1 H25-700-- Vizio 32"
1 H25-500-- Samsung 40"

#30 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

I was asking VOS. None of what I asked really pertained to your specific issues. I was looking for the limits of the coax testing.

Thanks. Just at a loss on what to do. Not sure if my setup is correct or not. If it is finding out how to increase performance. Thanks

#31 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

Is this something I should do or is there a better option to better my system?

Thanks. Just at a loss on what to do. Not sure if my setup is correct or not. If it is finding out how to increase performance. Thanks

I'm currently waiting to see more of your setup, because I can suggest what changes you should make. Yes changing over to 4-ways looks like something that will help, but if this only changes your 57 to 54, you still aren't in a range that I would be happy with.
A.K.A VOS

#32 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

I'm currently waiting to see more of your setup, because I can suggest what changes you should make. Yes changing over to 4-ways looks like something that will help, but if this only changes your 57 to 54, you still aren't in a range that I would be happy with.

What else in my setup do you need to see? I posted a number of additional pictures earlier and hoped that was enough.

If that is not the case let me know what else I need to provide and will do it. Thanks.

#33 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

What else in my setup do you need to see? I posted a number of additional pictures earlier and hoped that was enough.

If that is not the case let me know what else I need to provide and will do it. Thanks.

I am referring to my 12:24 post with additional pics and detail

#34 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Here are some more pictures.

The splitters have 3 connections to each. Still not sure exactly why there are 3 connections to each as I only have 5 boxes.

Hope this helps, if you need something else, let me know.

I couldnt tell from the size of the picture, but what are the three coax cables just hanging unconnected for? And looking at the splitters, do they have terminating caps on them or are they just open coax connectors? Cant really see that well.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#35 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

Here are some more pictures.

1. Another picture of gutter area
2. 2 cables going down wall.
3. Connection on house
4. 4 wires going into house
5. 4 wires from house are connected to the 4 slots on top of swim 16
6. The 3 cables on left side of swim 16 (see previous pictures) are connected into the 2 green splitters and 1 power adapter.

The splitters have 3 connections to each. Still not sure exactly why there are 3 connections to each as I only have 5 boxes.

Hope this helps, if you need something else, let me know.

For "some reason" [we both posted at the same minute] I didn't see these were posted until now. :shrug:

I see two things that could be "improved":
1) there are way too many open ports on those splitters. All used ports should have terminations on them.
2) you have no need/use for 8-way splitters, so changing to a 2-way on one side and a 4-way on the other will improve your loss.
Since you have "5 boxes", you should have five coax runs from the splitters, which it looks like you have.
How is your CCK currently connected? Is there another splitter connected to it?
A.K.A VOS

#36 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

I couldnt tell from the size of the picture, but what are the three coax cables just hanging unconnected for? And looking at the splitters, do they have terminating caps on them or are they just open coax connectors? Cant really see that well.

There are 4 cables not connected. I have 2 other rooms that are cabled but do not have boxes. They were originally connected to my zinwell 16 but the tech disconnected as they are not being used.

On the 2 8 way splitters, the 5 empty slots do not have anything covering them. Is this what you are referring to? Thanks.

#37 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

On the 2 8 way splitters, the 5 empty slots do not have anything covering them. Is this what you are referring to? Thanks.

Yes. Every unused connector on the splitter(s) need a 75 ohm terminating resistor screwed onto them.

Attached Thumbnails

• term.jpg

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#38 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

For "some reason" [we both posted at the same minute] I didn't see these were posted until now. :shrug:

I see two things that could be "improved":
1) there are way too many open ports on those splitters. All used ports should have terminations on them.
2) you have no need/use for 8-way splitters, so changing to a 2-way on one side and a 4-way on the other will improve your loss.
Since you have "5 boxes", you should have five coax runs from the splitters, which it looks like you have.
How is your CCK currently connected? Is there another splitter connected to it?

To respond to your comments.

1. It seems like the tech should have put terminating resistor onto each empty port. Where do I purchase these?

2. There are 6 cables connected, 3 on each side. I am not sure what the 6th is for as I only have 5 boxes. What kind of 2 and 4 way connectors should I get? If I get a 2 and 4, and since there are 3 on each now, how do I know which 1 cable to move to the 4 when I purchase it?

The CCK is connected wirelessly to my hr20 in my house. There are 2 cabled connections from the hr20 to the WCCK.

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Jim

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

To respond to your comments.

1. It seems like the tech should have put terminating resistor onto each empty port. Where do I purchase these?

2. There are 6 cables connected, 3 on each side. I am not sure what the 6th is for as I only have 5 boxes. What kind of 2 and 4 way connectors should I get? If I get a 2 and 4, and since there are 3 on each now, how do I know which 1 cable to move to the 4 when I purchase it?

The CCK is connected wirelessly to my hr20 in my house. There are 2 cabled connections from the hr20 to the WCCK.

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Jim

Not quite sure what you mean by this "but" you shouldn't be connecting the CCK wirelessly to your HR20 [at all] and I hope that the count at the splitters, is five coax to receivers, and one to the CCK.
Terminators can be bought most places that have this [home depot/lowes, radioshack, etc.]
The green labeled splitters are a bit harder to find. Solid Signal is one place, but your "tech" should be providing them.
From what "I can figure" [through the internet] changing over to a 2-way on one leg with the HR34 and another receiver [DVR] and a 4-way on the other leg, for the CCK and the rest of your receivers, is the best option and will drop your loss down to within range. I'd expect high forties to low fifties, after making these changes.
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Not quite sure what you mean by this "but" I'd now guess that the count at the splitters, is five coax to receivers, and one to the CCK.
Terminators can be bought most places that have this [home depot/lowes, radioshack, etc.]
The green labeled splitters are a bit harder to find. Solid Signal is one place, but your "tech" should be providing them.
From what "I can figure" [through the internet] changing over to a 2-way on one leg with the HR34 and another receiver [DVR] and a 4-way on the other leg, for the CCK and the rest of your receivers, is the best option and will drop your loss down to within range. I'd expect high forties to low fifties, after making these changes.

I did find the 2 way and 4 way splitters at Solid Signal which I can purchase. I am not real skilled at this but how do I figure out which boxes are on each one. I assume, if I turn on all the tv's, disconnect one and whatever tv goes out, that is that one? Probably should figure out a way to label them for future reference.

If I do this, I will not need any terminating caps. If I used two 4 ways would that make much difference? The reason I ask is that I may be adding another receiver in the near future? Not sure at this point when, but that may happen.

Thanks again.

Jim

spam firewall