Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR34 Error 47 (was CCK Weak Connectivity)

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

I did find the 2 way and 4 way splitters at Solid Signal which I can purchase. I am not real skilled at this but how do I figure out which boxes are on each one. I assume, if I turn on all the tv's, disconnect one and whatever tv goes out, that is that one? Probably should figure out a way to label them for future reference.

If I do this, I will not need any terminating caps. If I used two 4 ways would that make much difference? The reason I ask is that I may be adding another receiver in the near future? Not sure at this point when, but that may happen.

Thanks again.

Jim

Think you answered your own question "lots of running around" :lol:
As to "maybe" adding another receiver, there are at least a couple of ways to do this.
Since your current loss is so high, I would first want to address this.
Does your CCK have two coax ports?
If so, then it can be configured in a pass through mode, so it doesn't require a coax for itself, but can be inline with a receiver. I'm currently doing this with mine.
If it doesn't have two, then it isn't a wireless CCK, but if/when you need to add another receiver, I would use a second 2-way splitter and connect it to the 2-way splitter you may get now. I'd still keep the HR34 on the first splitter, run another receiver & CCK off the second splitter. This way, the HR34 has the least loss, the double splitter is no more than a 4-way, but this would only effect the receiver connected to it, and all the others on the "other side" wouldn't be affected at all.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

Think you answered your own question "lots of running around" :lol:
As to "maybe" adding another receiver, there are at least a couple of ways to do this.
Since your current loss is so high, I would first want to address this.
Does your CCK have two coax ports?
If so, then it can be configured in a pass through mode, so it doesn't require a coax for itself, but can be inline with a receiver. I'm currently doing this with mine.
If it doesn't have two, then it isn't a wireless CCK, but if/when you need to add another receiver, I would use a second 2-way splitter and connect it to the 2-way splitter you may get now. I'd still keep the HR34 on the first splitter, run another receiver & CCK off the second splitter. This way, the HR34 has the least loss, the double splitter is no more than a 4-way, but this would only effect the receiver connected to it, and all the others on the "other side" wouldn't be affected at all.

I looked at the CCK and there are two ports and two wires connected to the back. One is thicker and one is thinner. The thinner one is connected to the deca. The other end of the deca has a coax going into the receiver and then an ethernet going from the deca into the receiver also.

Another thing that may be a problem is that the other coax that connects into the deca goes into my surge protector. There are a total of 4 coax going into my surge protector, not sure what they all are.

This is an hr20-700. Is this connected properly with the deca and cck?

Is there a diagram how the hr20-700 with deca and cck should be connected? I am wondering if this is done incorrectly?

Jim

#43 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

I looked at the CCK and there are two ports and two wires connected to the back. One is thicker and one is thinner. The thinner one is connected to the deca. The other end of the deca has a coax going into the receiver and then an ethernet going from the deca into the receiver also.

Another thing that may be a problem is that the other coax that connects into the deca goes into my surge protector. There are a total of 4 coax going into my surge protector, not sure what they all are.

This is an hr20-700. Is this connected properly with the deca and cck?

Is there a diagram how the hr20-700 with deca and cck should be connected? I am wondering if this is done incorrectly?

Jim

So don't connect any of the DirecTV coax through a surge protector.
At the HR20, it isn't connected "as well as" it could. It needs to have a filter between the DECA and the HR20, but "better yet" it should have its own white DECA, and not be sharing the CCK.
Now this brings up: why or where does the sixth coax go from the splitters?

This is how the CCK & HR20-700 should look:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1311788989
A.K.A VOS

#44 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

So don't connect any of the DirecTV coax through a surge protector.
At the HR20, it isn't connected "as well as" it could. It needs to have a filter between the DECA and the HR20, but "better yet" it should have its own white DECA, and not be sharing the CCK.
Now this brings up: why or where does the sixth coax go from the splitters?

This is how the CCK & HR20-700 should look:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1311788989

Good question, isn't it. I guess I can take them out one by one and see if it has any effect on the boxes? That would be one way. Any other thoughts?

On getting the hr20-700 connected properly with the deca and cck. I will disconnect everything from the surge protector but how do you suggest I get this connected properly? I don't have a white deca or filter? I also noticed on the white deca that the link button is amber with the other two green. Not sure what that means.

#45 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

I also noticed on the white deca that the link button is amber with the other two green. Not sure what that means.

I do and it ain't good.
You really need to sort out all of this cabling.
The amber cLink LED is because you have reduced RF performance on the DECA. This can come from: too much noise, and/or too low a signal level.
A.K.A VOS

#46 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

I do and it ain't good.
You really need to sort out all of this cabling.
The amber cLink LED is because you have reduced RF performance on the DECA. This can come from: too much noise, and/or too low a signal level.

I went through and disconnected all 6 of the coax connected into the splitters. When I removed 5 of them, I received a 771 error, which means that cord went to that box. The 6th one didn't do that to any box. However, with the 6th one disconnected, I ran info and test and received an error that swim was not available because there is not enough tuners. I connected the 6th one back in and we are back to normal. So, I still don't understand what the 6th one is for? It did not disconnect the cck either.

On the cck, the light is mostly green but on occasion it goes to amber.

Not sure what to do at this point? I will get the 2 way and 4 way but when I separate the 5 boxes as you state below, the 6th one, which splitter should it go on? I assume, the one with the 3 other boxes? Since there are 8 connections now, there are 3 on each. If I go to 2 and 4, one has to go off the one where there will be two. Confused yet?

Anyway, I am confused. Thoughts?

#47 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

I went through and disconnected all 6 of the coax connected into the splitters. When I removed 5 of them, I received a 771 error, which means that cord went to that box. The 6th one didn't do that to any box. However, with the 6th one disconnected, I ran info and test and received an error that swim was not available because there is not enough tuners. I connected the 6th one back in and we are back to normal. So, I still don't understand what the 6th one is for? It did not disconnect the cck either.

On the cck, the light is mostly green but on occasion it goes to amber.

Not sure what to do at this point? I will get the 2 way and 4 way but when I separate the 5 boxes as you state below, the 6th one, which splitter should it go on? I assume, the one with the 3 other boxes? Since there are 8 connections now, there are 3 on each. If I go to 2 and 4, one has to go off the one where there will be two. Confused yet?

Anyway, I am confused. Thoughts?

There is something fishy here.
At first I expected it to have been from the PI, but checking your photo, shows you're using the PWR connector for the PI.
Disconnecting any of the coax, should have given you what you saw on the first five, or nothing at all. There is nothing that can be connected to a splitter that enables tuners, and if not connected disables them.
The PI is the closest thing, but if it was disconnected 771a messages will show.
I would like to see this repeated and more info for exactly what this message is.
A.K.A VOS

#48 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

How about some more photos of the cables at the splitters?

It kind of looks like the PI is connected to the one on the right, which then brings up the question of what's connected to the SWiM-16's middle connector?
A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

I unplugged the 6th coax and ran info and test on all 5 receivers. I did not receive the error regarding swim not aviailable due to not enough connections. However, what I did was reset one of the dvr's and it would not connect. When it go to step 2, it was searching for signal. When I plugged the 6th one in, it was able to connect, no problem.

I took a few more pictures for you. The power inverter is connected to the 'middle' outlet on the swim 16, not to either of the splitters. I did follow the coax to make sure where it was connected.

Disregard all the non-connected wires. Is there something I should be doing with these? Caps or just leave as is.

Talk about confusing. I do know that when I disconnected the other 5 coax cables from the splitters, one of the boxes did not work properly, it was giving the 771 error.

Anyway, I did order the new splitters from solid signal, should get them later in the week and will install.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20120101-132141-DSC_0005.jpg
  • 20120101-132206-DSC_0006.jpg
  • 20120101-213113-DSC_0007.jpg
  • 20120101-213116-DSC_0008.jpg

#50 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

I unplugged the 6th coax and ran info and test on all 5 receivers. I did not receive the error regarding swim not aviailable due to not enough connections. However, what I did was reset one of the dvr's and it would not connect. When it go to step 2, it was searching for signal. When I plugged the 6th one in, it was able to connect, no problem.

I took a few more pictures for you. The power inverter is connected to the 'middle' outlet on the swim 16, not to either of the splitters. I did follow the coax to make sure where it was connected.

Disregard all the non-connected wires. Is there something I should be doing with these? Caps or just leave as is.

Talk about confusing. I do know that when I disconnected the other 5 coax cables from the splitters, one of the boxes did not work properly, it was giving the 771 error.

Anyway, I did order the new splitters from solid signal, should get them later in the week and will install.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Sorry, but there still must be a mix up here.
The two shots of the SWiM-16 & splitters look identical to what was posted before and they look to even have the same labels.

The PI on the right sure looks like it run to the first port on the splitter on the right.
If this is what is going on, then this makes sense: "However, what I did was reset one of the dvr's and it would not connect. When it go to step 2, it was searching for signal. When I plugged the 6th one in, it was able to connect, no problem."
You must be running the PI through this "sixth" coax.

If in doubt, pull the power cord on the PI and then check your receivers.
Even with this sixth coax connected "I bet" you'll what happens with it removed.
A.K.A VOS

#51 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Just so we're on the same page here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...01&d=1261069733

And the SWiM to splitter coax must be connected to the single port on the side of the 8-way splitters, which is on the top in this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1325472346

Attached Thumbnails

• 8-way.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#52 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:01 AM

Sorry, but there still must be a mix up here.
The two shots of the SWiM-16 & splitters look identical to what was posted before and they look to even have the same labels.

The PI on the right sure looks like it run to the first port on the splitter on the right.
If this is what is going on, then this makes sense: "However, what I did was reset one of the dvr's and it would not connect. When it go to step 2, it was searching for signal. When I plugged the 6th one in, it was able to connect, no problem."
You must be running the PI through this "sixth" coax.

If in doubt, pull the power cord on the PI and then check your receivers.
Even with this sixth coax connected "I bet" you'll what happens with it removed.

No, these are all different pictures, look at the time stamp on them. Similar, yes, I wasn't sure what else you wanted pictures of. I must have misunderstood what exactly you wanted me to take additional pictures of. I will take more, just let me know.

I did take one more today, which is easier to see the PI and where it is connected. It is connected to the middle one on the left, just as your drawing in the post shows.

So you know, I did pull the power cord on the PI the other day when Directv wanted me to reset it and then reset all of the receivers. That is prior to the tech coming out and figuring out he had too many lines on each splitter.

Still, cannot figure out what the 6th one is for.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 20120102-090126-DSC_0001.jpg

#53 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

Thanks, that shot makes it clear.
[again] there is no cable that if removed from the output of a splitter, will do anything more than cause one receiver to lose signal, as happened with your five coax.

Let also add the wildcard here of having none of the open ports terminated.
This is such a no no that I have no experience troubleshooting this type of setup, and "might be" why the sixth coax is acting like it has.

Edited by veryoldschool, 02 January 2012 - 10:30 AM.

A.K.A VOS

#54 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

Thanks, that shot makes it clear.
[again] there is no cable that if removed from the output of a splitter, will do anything more than cause one receiver to lose signal, as happened with your five coax.

Let also add the wildcard here of having none of the open ports terminated.
This is such a no no that I have no experience troubleshooting this type of setup, and "might be" why the sixth coax is acting like it has.

To answer your first question, correct. all the 6th does is cause the 2nd tuner to cause problems on the boxes but does not shut off the box.

Let me install the 2 way and 4 way later this week and see what happens to the setup. I also ordered terminators but not sure I will need them now. I will connect the 5 and leave the 6th out and see what happens. If it doesn't work right then I will connect the 6th one to the 4 way.

#55 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

To answer your first question, correct. all the 6th does is cause the 2nd tuner to cause problems on the boxes but does not shut off the box.

Let me install the 2 way and 4 way later this week and see what happens to the setup. I also ordered terminators but not sure I will need them now. I will connect the 5 and leave the 6th out and see what happens. If it doesn't work right then I will connect the 6th one to the 4 way.

For the cost [a couple of bucks] of terminators, it would be worth [to me] removing the sixth coax and terminating all open ports.
The open ports cause both the SWiM & DECA signals to bounce/reflect back into the system. Terminations [loads really] stop this.
A long coax with nothing on the other end, can effect the bouncing.

SWiM & DECA gets fairly complex running through a SWiM-16, and it would be interesting to run your original tests, on a properly terminated system.
A.K.A VOS

#56 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

For the cost [a couple of bucks] of terminators, it would be worth [to me] removing the sixth coax and terminating all open ports.
The open ports cause both the SWiM & DECA signals to bounce/reflect back into the system. Terminations [loads really] stop this.
A long coax with nothing on the other end, can effect the bouncing.

SWiM & DECA gets fairly complex running through a SWiM-16, and it would be interesting to run your original tests, on a properly terminated system.

I did order some terminators and will install them when received and rerun the tests and post. I will then remove the 6th one and see what happens and report back.

Is there anything with the coax's that were disconnected that I need to be concerned about? Since they are not connected at the other end, it shouldn't be a problem, but figured I would ask.

I believe I get them Thursday so will do this Thursday night. Should get the new splitters then also.

Thanks again for all your assistance. I really do appreciate it.

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

I did order some terminators and will install them when received and rerun the tests and post. I will then remove the 6th one and see what happens and report back.

Is there anything with the coax's that were disconnected that I need to be concerned about? Since they are not connected at the other end, it shouldn't be a problem, but figured I would ask.

I believe I get them Thursday so will do this Thursday night. Should get the new splitters then also.

Thanks again for all your assistance. I really do appreciate it.

What tests and in what order, I'll leave up to you, but "my interest" is in your current setup, with the sixth coax removed and terminations installed.
This is a fairly common install, so the results will be informative/helpful.
As for the disconnected coax, there isn't much to do/worry about, with them.
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

What tests and in what order, I'll leave up to you, but "my interest" is in your current setup, with the sixth coax removed and terminations installed.
This is a fairly common install, so the results will be informative/helpful.
As for the disconnected coax, there isn't much to do/worry about, with them.

That will be the first test I do and will post results. I will then deal with the splitters and retest.

Also, I disconnected the wcck and other wires from the surge protector and verified that the wcck is setup exactly like the picture you posted yesterday. I also verified this is how it is shown to be setup in the manual. Though, based on your comments, there seems to be a better way. Do you have a diagram of how you are suggesting it be setup?

#59 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

That will be the first test I do and will post results. I will then deal with the splitters and retest.

Also, I disconnected the wcck and other wires from the surge protector and verified that the wcck is setup exactly like the picture you posted yesterday. I also verified this is how it is shown to be setup in the manual. Though, based on your comments, there seems to be a better way. Do you have a diagram of how you are suggesting it be setup?

The picture I posted, where your receiver has a white DECA, and the CCK is connected using its two connectors, might be your best choice. I use mine this way and what it does is not add anymore loss to the SAT signals.
You could do the same thing by connecting it to the main splitter, using a "spare" coax.
Since you're thinking about adding another receiver, it would be worth not using another port on the splitter for "just' the CCK.
A.K.A VOS

#60 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

Attached are four pictures of the coax stats on my HR34. The first two are without the 75ohm transistors on the 10 open ports on the 2 splitters.

The final two pictures are with the 75ohm transistors installed. I really do not see any difference with these installed.

I do not have the splitters yet, will get those tomorrow so will see what the test is like when those are installed.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 20120105-181824-IMG_0062.jpg
  • 20120105-181841-IMG_0063.jpg
  • 20120105-182514-IMG_0064.jpg
  • 20120105-182531-IMG_0065.jpg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...