Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR34 Error 47 (was CCK Weak Connectivity)

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

I continue to work on replacing the barrels and jumpers around the house but did so in my living room, which is connected to the 4 way splitter. When I took off the barrel, the wire was just hanging there. I had a couple other connectors so I searched for the one that worked for this receiver, replaced the barrel and jumper and got this receiver working again.

This work is showing improvements.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

This work is showing improvements.

Went to check out another receiver, on the 4 way and found that the coax was connected through the surge protector. I took that out and connected it properly.

Also, I did notice something different about the way this was connected. Not only is there a deca but there is a red connector. Deca and red connector going to splitter into the wall. This is an hr20-700.

Any reason why this is like this?

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo1.jpg

#103 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

Went to check out another receiver, on the 4 way and found that the coax was connected through the surge protector. I took that out and connected it properly.

Also, I did notice something different about the way this was connected. Not only is there a deca but there is a red connector. Deca and red connector going to splitter into the wall. This is an hr20-700.

Jim

This looks like a DECA that was setup for internet connection before the new ones came out. Is there a PI connected to this DECA?

#104 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

Jim

This looks like the installer mixed up your HR20-700 with a HR20-100.

Your setup should look like this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...77&d=1279031824

The coax going to the left should connect directly to your wall plate
A.K.A VOS

#105 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Yes I think he did. I disconnected all this and connected the deca correct and everything works fine.

Jim

#106 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

Yes I think he did. I disconnected all this and connected the deca correct and everything works fine.

Jim

Maybe time to run "the tests" again.
A.K.A VOS

#107 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

Maybe time to run "the tests" again.

I checked on the connection in the final room connected to the 4 way. Once again, I had it connected through the apc unit. I disconnected and connected the coax directly. There is no barrel here as the wire is under my stairs and goes direct to the swim.

With respect to connecting through the surge protector, is the rule of thumb always?

Here are the updated tests. Looks like the numbers on node 1 went down. Wonder why that would be. They are down quite a bit from the last test.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20120108-191008-IMG_0093.jpg
  • 20120108-191035-IMG_0094.jpg

#108 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

I checked on the connection in the final room connected to the 4 way. Once again, I had it connected through the apc unit. I disconnected and connected the coax directly. There is no barrel here as the wire is under my stairs and goes direct to the swim.

With respect to connecting through the surge protector, is the rule of thumb always?

Here are the updated tests. Looks like the numbers on node 1 went down. Wonder why that would be. They are down quite a bit from the last test.

"Rule of thumb" never run a coax for DirecTV through a surge protector.
You got good losses now, and a Phy Mesh matrix that points to issues with the HR34.
You've gone well beyond what you should have for your cabling, and the losses show improvements from your work.

The HR34 should fail a system test with error 47 [again].
EVERY Phy Mesh number is great from any other node, "AND" to the HR34.
The low numbers only come from the HR34 to anything else.
IF THERE is was a cabling problem, then the other nodes back to the HR34 would also have low numbers.
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1326068285

If you read down the column on the left and compare the row across the top.
"1 to 2" is 217 [bad]
"2 to 1" is 243 [good]
or
1 to 5 is 222 [poor]
but 5 to 1 is 252 [great]

"If the cable was bad", both of these would be low numbers.
Run a system test to check for error.
You can retest this in say 12 hours, then if "this test" the same, roll back to the old software, re-run the system test and if it reports error 47, call DirecTV and plan to have this HR34 replaced.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#109 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

"Rule of thumb" never run a coax for DirecTV through a surge protector.
You got good losses now, and a Phy Mesh matrix that points to issues with the HR34.
You've gone well beyond what you should have for your cabling, and the losses show improvements from your work.

The HR34 should fail a system test with error 47 [again].
EVERY Phy Mesh number is great from any other node, "AND" to the HR34.
The low numbers only come from the HR34 to anything else.
IF THERE is was a cabling problem, then the other nodes back to the HR34 would also have low numbers.
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1326068285

If you read down the column on the left and compare the row across the top.
"1 to 2" is 217 [bad]
"2 to 1" is 243 [good]
or
1 to 5 is 222 [poor]
but 5 to 1 is 252 [great]

"If the cable was bad", both of these would be low numbers.
Run a system test to check for error.
You can retest this in say 12 hours, then if "this test" the same, roll back to the old software, re-run the system test and if it reports error 47, call DirecTV and plan to have this HR34 replaced.

Ran system test, no errors. I will re-rerun tomorrow and see what happens. Mesh numbers are all between 210 and 225. Everything else is around 250 or so.

Be back tomorrow.

#110 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

Ran system test, no errors. I will re-rerun tomorrow and see what happens. Mesh numbers are all between 210 and 225. Everything else is around 250 or so.

Be back tomorrow.

"Normally" 220 and below trigger the system error.
A.K.A VOS

#111 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:32 AM

Ran the test this morning, 208-227 with no errors. Everything else in the 250 range. I will run again tonight, if same scores, will roll back software and run the test again. Will report later tonight.

#112 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:33 AM

I had one other thought. Maybe we can check other hr34's to see if they are also running low on the test? It could be the unit, software or something else? Just a thought.

#113 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

I had one other thought. Maybe we can check other hr34's to see if they are also running low on the test? It could be the unit, software or something else? Just a thought.

I've got reports from two other HR34s that don't show this, so I'm leaning more and more to this one having a problem, but haven't determined how bad/important it is right now.

Here's another HR34 [node 3], with similar levels:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1326115013

Attached Thumbnails

• -Capture.PNG

Edited by veryoldschool, 09 January 2012 - 07:17 AM.

A.K.A VOS

#114 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

I've got reports from two other HR34s that don't show this, so I'm leaning more and more to this one having a problem, but haven't determined how bad/important it is right now.

Here's another HR34 [node 3], with similar levels:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1326115013

Just did another test, all levels between 211-228.

Note that I received the 48-190 error, network interference problem.

Jim

Edited by jimlenz, 09 January 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#115 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

VOS

The directv tech was out today and spent 2 hours at the house doing a number of things.

1. He put the two 8 way splitters back to the swim. He said that the system needs these and I should not be using the 2 and 4 ways.

2. He disconnected the wireless CCK and connected the broadband deca to my router directly. Once he did this the errors did not occur on the hr34 and the mesh levels were in the 250's.

3. Realigned the dish as the 103 even had low values.

4. Replaced the grounding block and redid the outside connections. Apparently, these were not to code. He got rid of the 2 ways and put all cables on a 4 way.

The HR34 works great with no errors and no errors on any other receiver.

The only problem I have now is with my nomad and directv2pc. For some reason the status light keeps going bronze after about 5 minutes of being on. I have to reset and then it is able to see the units. Spent 45 minutes on with case management. Couldn't figure out the problem.

As for directv2pc, it is not seeing any receivers. Haven't spent much time on this but will work on this.

Anyway, here is the update on the 48-190 error. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Jim

#116 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

VOS

The directv tech was out today and spent 2 hours at the house doing a number of things.

1. He put the two 8 way splitters back to the swim. He said that the system needs these and I should not be using the 2 and 4 ways.

2. He disconnected the wireless CCK and connected the broadband deca to my router directly. Once he did this the errors did not occur on the hr34 and the mesh levels were in the 250's.

3. Realigned the dish as the 103 even had low values.

4. Replaced the grounding block and redid the outside connections. Apparently, these were not to code. He got rid of the 2 ways and put all cables on a 4 way.

The HR34 works great with no errors and no errors on any other receiver.

The only problem I have now is with my nomad and directv2pc. For some reason the status light keeps going bronze after about 5 minutes of being on. I have to reset and then it is able to see the units. Spent 45 minutes on with case management. Couldn't figure out the problem.

As for directv2pc, it is not seeing any receivers. Haven't spent much time on this but will work on this.

Anyway, here is the update on the 48-190 error. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Jim

• He clearly didn't know what he was talking about. Too bad he doesn't know that much about splitters.
  • Changing from a wireless to a hardwired BB DECA, shouldn't have made any difference. If you still have the wireless you could try it at this location and see if anything changes. The HR34 was the only thing reading low, which the change of BB DECA shouldn't have had any effect on.
  • peaking the dish had nothing to do with your error.
  • Nor was this house keeping at the ground blocks. Both of these are good to have been done, but had zero impact on what the problem was.
Nomad & DirecTV2PC "may" be a router problem, which resetting the router could help with.

What are the losses listed on the DECA test?
Do any of the connectors look to have been changed at the splitters?
A.K.A VOS

#117 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

• He clearly didn't know what he was talking about. Too bad he doesn't know that much about splitters.
  • Changing from a wireless to a hardwired BB DECA, shouldn't have made any difference. If you still have the wireless you could try it at this location and see if anything changes. The HR34 was the only thing reading low, which the change of BB DECA shouldn't have had any effect on.
  • peaking the dish had nothing to do with your error.
  • Nor was this house keeping at the ground blocks. Both of these are good to have been done, but had zero impact on what the problem was.
Nomad & DirecTV2PC "may" be a router problem, which resetting the router could help with.

What are the losses listed on the DECA test?
Do any of the connectors look to have been changed at the splitters?

No losses at all on the deca test, all looks well. The only connectors that were changed was back to the 8 ways. Also connected the bbdeca into the 4 way.

Tried to reset of router for the nomad and directv2pc....just figuring I am never going to get everything set right.

He took the wcck with him, so I cannot test.

Thanks

Jim

#118 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

Unfortunately tech's live by the "so and so told me" mentality when it comes to things outside of the training guidelines. I had to explain to my tech when he did the install that 8 way splitters were not as effecient as a 2 way or 4 way. He chose to argue with me for awhile and I eventually said to do it my way or I'd get someone else to complete it how I wanted it. He kept talking about how one tech used a tool and measured the signals and there weren't any changes. This is just one area where people don't follow the installation standards and use "field knowledge" that is wrong.

#119 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

"You know they haven't paid attention to the training when" [they don't have a clue of the material]:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1326502483

Notice the source at the bottom.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#120 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

I know this is not specifically on task with this thread but it did arise out of the fix, so I will ask the question.

First, I will say that I do plan to put the 2 way and 4 way splitter back on. Wasn't going to fight with the tech.

He installed the broadband deca into my router and then into my wall. I used to have a receiver in this room. If I decided to put a receiver back in this room, how would I connect the broadband deca. For example, I get a HR24, will i have to have a separate line going to the swim or can i run it off the same line as the bbdeca? The reason I ask is that I dont have an extra line in this room. Is this possible? Is it something I should even consider?

Thanks

Jim

spam firewall