Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34..Another question or 2

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 947 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:47 AM

Current setup is an HR20-700 in 2nd floor bedroom and an HR21-100 in the living room(main viewing) Both have 2 cables running to them from the dish(no SWM) and both have MRV via ethernet cable. If I convert to 1 HR34, what will my recording capacity be?(more than now?) Would I only need the HR34 and an "H" model in the bedroom? Would an HR34 require a complete re-wire from the dish? Would it require a conversion from ethernet to DECA?
If I can get a good deal on an HR34 from DTV(including install) I might go for it.
Thanks for any responses...

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

You'll just go from 4 tuners to 5, and depending on if you eliminate both of your current dvrs, you lose the ability to record OTA unless you also put in an AM-21. It doesnt mean a total re-wire, but it does require SWiM install as the HR34 is SWiM only. It would make more sense to go DECA at the same time.

#3 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

Another thing, you can always add an eSATA.
2TB will more than double your recording space.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#4 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

Another thing, you can always add an eSATA.
2TB will more than double your recording space.

Is the recording capacity of the HR34 greater than the combined capacity of the HR20+HR21?

#5 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

You know I never did commit to memory or jot down just how much of a DVR's hard drive that DirecTV reserves for their use, or how big a hard drive is in a partucular DVR model (up to 500 MB I think for your models). But I'm sure a detail guy can post that info.
The HR34 has a 1 TB drive and only one DirecTV reserved section vs. two for your DVR combo, so at least more efficient use of drive space.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#6 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

Is the recording capacity of the HR34 greater than the combined capacity of the HR20+HR21?

Yes, but not by much. The HR20 has either a 300GB or 320GB drive and the HR21 has a 500GB drive. So you would go from 800/820 to 1000.

The question I have is since you already have DVR's, why downgrade the bedroom unit to an H. It doesn't cost any more to keep the DVR in there and gives you trickplay features. So unless the sound of the DVR drive is bothering you, why not just keep it. Then you would have 1.3 to 1.5TB of recording space.

Yes, you would need a SWM upgrade.

The other option would be to buy a 6000 series Samsung TV which has RVU and use it in the room that does not have the HR34. Then you would get trickplay back.

#7 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,065 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

There is a nice document that compares all of the current HDDVR's here: http://hr20.dbstalk....ocs/DVR FAQ.pdf

Check out the Tips and Resources Forum and for a list of our newly updated information. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=200024

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#8 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,065 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

One other thing to keep in mind is with each DVR DIRECTV keeps a portion for pushed VOD. I would think you would gain even more recording capacity by using one HR34.

#9 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

Yes, but not by much. The HR20 has either a 300GB or 320GB drive and the HR21 has a 500GB drive. So you would go from 800/820 to 1000.

The question I have is since you already have DVR's, why downgrade the bedroom unit to an H. It doesn't cost any more to keep the DVR in there and gives you trickplay features. So unless the sound of the DVR drive is bothering you, why not just keep it. Then you would have 1.3 to 1.5TB of recording space.

The other option would be to buy a 6000 series Samsung TV which has RVU and use it in the room that does not have the HR34. Then you would get trickplay back.

good point... I've never had an "H" unit before only "HR's" Didn't realize and just assumed trick play was an option no matter what you had. The 21 is noisier than the 20 for sure, but it does seem to have a larger capcity.
Is doing a SWM upgrade a DIY project or is it best left to DTV Tech's?

#10 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

There is a nice document that compares all of the current HDDVR's here: http://hr20.dbstalk....ocs/DVR FAQ.pdf

Check out the Tips and Resources Forum and for a list of our newly updated information. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=200024

Great links!... Have not looked at those for a while...A lot more info there now..
Regarding the "Capacity" column on the chart page, are those in hours?

#11 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

Is doing a SWM upgrade a DIY project or is it best left to DTV Tech's?

It all depends on your level of comfort. Since you have 2xDVR's, you have 4 wires from the dish entering your house. The question then is do all 4 enter at the same place. If so, then a SWM upgrade is very easy (assuming you can install coax fittings). If the wires go from the dish directly to the receivers, then it can be more difficult.

You could always do a SWM LNB, but I would not recommend it as it could mess up your dish alignment. Plus you need to make sure you get the correct model to match your reflector.

How is everything set up?

Also, it looks like I missed the capacity by a generation. The 21 still has the 320GB drive. It wasn't until the 22 that they went to 500. Yes, those are in hours of MPEG-4 HD content. OTA recordings take up more space, therefore if you use them, you get less hours.

#12 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,065 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

Great links!... Have not looked at those for a while...A lot more info there now..
Regarding the "Capacity" column on the chart page, are those in hours?

Yes in hours.

#13 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

Current setup is an HR20-700 in 2nd floor bedroom and an HR21-100 in the living room(main viewing) Both have 2 cables running to them from the dish(no SWM) and both have MRV via ethernet cable. If I convert to 1 HR34, what will my recording capacity be?(more than now?) Would I only need the HR34 and an "H" model in the bedroom? Would an HR34 require a complete re-wire from the dish? Would it require a conversion from ethernet to DECA?
If I can get a good deal on an HR34 from DTV(including install) I might go for it.
Thanks for any responses...

No one has pointed out the problem of your last sentence.

No HR34's to Directv customers directly from Directv until February (9th I was told by Ellen's team).

You can do what lots of us did and get it and then schedule the upgrade install with Directv and see what they offer you in discounts there.

Or wait another month. :)
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#14 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

It all depends on your level of comfort. Since you have 2xDVR's, you have 4 wires from the dish entering your house. The question then is do all 4 enter at the same place. If so, then a SWM upgrade is very easy (assuming you can install coax fittings). If the wires go from the dish directly to the receivers, then it can be more difficult.

You could always do a SWM LNB, but I would not recommend it as it could mess up your dish alignment. Plus you need to make sure you get the correct model to match your reflector.

How is everything set up?

Also, it looks like I missed the capacity by a generation. The 21 still has the 320GB drive. It wasn't until the 22 that they went to 500. Yes, those are in hours of MPEG-4 HD content. OTA recordings take up more space, therefore if you use them, you get less hours.

Setup is: 2 wires go from dish to upstairs bedroom(about 45' of wire) 2 wires go to 1st floor living room(about 65' of wire).They run on the outside of the house so I am not sure how I would put in the power supply....

#15 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

No HR34's to Directv customers directly from Directv until February (9th I was told by Ellen's team).

You can do what lots of us did and get it and then schedule the upgrade install with Directv and see what they offer you in discounts there.

Understood... I am thinking in the long term...a few months perhaps, if then...just trying to understand it all...

#16 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

Side note: Good to hear construction has re-started at COTA...Lets hope..:):)

#17 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

Side note: Good to hear construction has re-started at COTA...Lets hope..:):)

Waiting for Tickets to go on sale!

Havent been to a live race for a couple of years!

Looking forward to NY street race in 2013 too!
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#18 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

Setup is: 2 wires go from dish to upstairs bedroom(about 45' of wire) 2 wires go to 1st floor living room(about 65' of wire).They run on the outside of the house so I am not sure how I would put in the power supply....

Then it is probably best if you had a tech do it. I did all mine, but I had all 4 wires coming into a central location.

The PS stays inside the house and puts power into one of the coax runs. Not a problem as long as you have an extra outlet at one of your locations.

#19 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,860 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

My 3 HR21-100 were 320 MB.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#20 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

My 3 HR21-100 were 320 MB.