Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New to Dish - bad first impression

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   esojmc

esojmc

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

I have been a DirecTV subscriber for the last 14 some years and decided to change to Dish for the cheaper rates. So I called Dish last week and subscribed to the America's Top 120 package. My daughter is into Korean pop music so she was excited to hear that we would get KBS World. The installer came yesterday and was very professional. He installed a Dish HD DP Plus disk and hooked it up to a 722K DVR in the family room and a SD extension in the basement. Everything is working fine - the HD picture quality is not as good as DTV and the channel selection is less but the price can't be beat.

Anyway, after the initial excitement of trying to figure out the DVR my daughter tried to watch channel 704 (KBS World) but it would give some message and tune to a different channel. I look through the guide but didn't see KBS. I called the 800 number and talked to a CSR. Her first response was that KBS was not part of my package. I told her the DIsh website shows KBS as part of the AT120. She puts me on hold and a few minutes late comes back online stating the satellite dish I have does not get KBS and that I would be charged for the installation and the new dish. How can Dish say they have 120 channels but not provide them with the install? Anyway, asked to talk to a supervisor and she put me back on hold. She came back and said that they would install another dish (?) and that they would reverse the charges. I forgot to ask the CSR but my question is, will they install a second dish (which I wouldn't want) or install a latger dish that will support the extra satellite? My zip code is 60564 (Naperville, IL) and I get my locals from Chicago and I have the HD for life package.

Thanks for listening.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

Send a PM to http://www.dbstalk.c...ber.php?u=95802. Ray if he is on duty will be able to help you. If not one of the other team members may be able to help.

#3 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

My initial thought is, Dish is apparently making what you want happen at no cost. Dish isn't advertising you will get all channels with one Dish, even though often you do. So if you do not want two dishes I think Dish has done what they can. That said, they can put that into one Dish usually.
It is true KBS world is shown in the Top120 package. It would be if you had the Eastern Arc, your area apparently is the Western Arc. That is not your problem, I would not expect you to know that. But Dish is giving you the 118 satellite for no charge, for which they do usually charge for.

I am also curious about less channels than Direct. If you got a lesser comparable package, then sure you would have less channels. What package did you have with Direct TV? Did you check the differences before you switched?

#4 OFFLINE   esojmc

esojmc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

Regarding number of channels, you are correct - my comparison was not fair as I had a more expensive package on DirecTV.

If Dish advertises 120 channels shouldn't the installer do whatever is required to make sure we get all 120 channels? I did not see it clearly stated anyplace (I didn't look very hard either) that said that some channels would require additional hardware and additional cost. Or is it assumed that everyone brushes up on astrophysics :) before ordering Dish?

Anyway, I will have them install the second dish if needed so my daughter can watch KBS - she was really looking forward to it.

#5 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 734 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

It looks like KBS is available with an EA installation and you probably have a WA installation (which is necessary for your locals). They should put an asterisk next to channels that may require a second or a special dish for some areas.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

There is a single Dish solution for western arc that includes 118... So they could do that instead of adding a second dish...

For eastern arc, if they keep moving international channels off of 61.5 then eventually eastern arc customers would be forced to a two-dish solution.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

Use channel 9850 for KBS World once the activation to Satellite 118 is completed. I believe 704 is only active if the Korean PAck is ordered. We got 9850 "free for the asking" years ago. I don't think that has changed. My wife loves the channel!

#8 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

If Dish advertises 120 channels shouldn't the installer do whatever is required to make sure we get all 120 channels? I did not see it clearly stated anyplace (I didn't look very hard either) that said that some channels would require additional hardware and additional cost. Or is it assumed that everyone brushes up on astrophysics :) before ordering Dish?

Anyway, I will have them install the second dish if needed so my daughter can watch KBS - she was really looking forward to it.

As I said, I do not expect new subscribers to know that. As for 120 channels, I bet you get that and more without KBS, so they are fulfilling that amount. That doesn't change that the channel list has KBS, but it appears Dish is living up to that too....

#9 OFFLINE   esojmc

esojmc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

Dish came out yesterday and replaced the existing dish with a slightly larger one. Now I get KBS and some additional Chinese channels. I am very happy now since Dish did this at no cost to me.

Also, I ordered the Sling adapter so I can stream video. Does streaming video via Sling cut into the usage of either TV1 or TV2? Meaning, can three people watch at the same time - TV1, TV2 and Sling?

Thanks.

#10 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

The Sling adapter takes over TV2 while it is being used. When you access the Sling it changes the receiver mode to dual.

Edited by klang, 04 January 2012 - 09:45 AM.
duel dual

#11 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

Maybe you can change your thread title to New to Dish Good first impression?? :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...