Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NASCAR Hotpass 2012

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

Supposed to rain on Sunday. Grrrr

http://wx-man.com/NASCAR/

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Are you guys in a fantasy pool? If so, where do you go for stats, figures and predictions etc?

#103 OFFLINE   zmclean

zmclean

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Recording used to stop when race was over but now it extends to full 6 hours and the recording is black. If u watch the recording before it stops at 6 hrs you can watch it but stop and come back later and its stopped at 6 hrs recording no longer viewable just black screen. I can rewind and fast forward but just a black screen in all sets in the house.

#104 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

Are you guys in a fantasy pool? If so, where do you go for stats, figures and predictions etc?

I am in leagues on ESPN, Yahoo! and NASCAR.com.

I sometimes read the little reports they post in the fantasy sections of those sites but mainly I just try to pick strong teams and pay attention to practice speeds. IMO it all pretty much comes down to luck. Jeff Gordon had a top 5 runs going the last 2 races and finished 26th and 35th through no fault of his own. Took from near first in some leagues to near last.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#105 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Yeah it sure is luck. I had JJ pegged to finish fourth and would have rec'd some nice bonus points. But he pits for some unknown reason with a monsoon obviously coming on the radar and then has the oil leak.

#106 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Ended up watching the entire race on HotPass today since our Fox affiliate in San Diego is one of the Tribune stations that got pulled. Normally I'll just reference one of the HP stations during the race to get some perspective, but generally stay on the broadcast channel.
I haven't been following the this thread closely, so apologies if this has already been discussed to death. I was pleasantly surprised to find the feed completely un-edited. Is that a change for this year? Nary a bleep, mute, or sound-over, just the naked truth...and Chad Knaus can curse like a sailor...he he.

#107 OFFLINE   mikeren1

mikeren1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts
  • LocationJax, Fl

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

try jayski .com all the info u need from history at the track to every practice of the weekend.

#108 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

Thanks. Once again I was sitting pretty having picked JJ, Gordon and Bowyer in the top five. Until David Reutimann ignored the black flag and parked on the track. :nono:

#109 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

It doesn't help that Reutimann was trying to help a Stewart-Haas driver (Danica Patrick) and ended up helping another Stewart-Haas driver (Newman) to a victory. I don't believe Reutimann wanted to tank the race - he just wanted as many laps as possible.

#110 OFFLINE   timdub71

timdub71

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

Ended up watching the entire race on HotPass today since our Fox affiliate in San Diego is one of the Tribune stations that got pulled. Normally I'll just reference one of the HP stations during the race to get some perspective, but generally stay on the broadcast channel.
I haven't been following the this thread closely, so apologies if this has already been discussed to death. I was pleasantly surprised to find the feed completely un-edited. Is that a change for this year? Nary a bleep, mute, or sound-over, just the naked truth...and Chad Knaus can curse like a sailor...he he.

Yes, HotPass is a good alternative when D* is having a channel dispute. In my area it is a Pappas Telecasting Fox channel that was pulled (along with an ABC affiliate).

#111 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

The lack of activity in this thread may be an indicator of how uneventful this season has been. Other than that horrendous finish at Martinsville where Reutimann ruined the race there hasn't been much for us to fight about. haha

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#112 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Still in shock ... and waiting for my favorite driver to find the gas pedal.
Still, I suspect he will win a race before Junior. :D

(The only reason I want Jr to win is so I don't have to hear about him being "due" a win. Of course if he ever wins a race they will just start hyping the next win.)

#113 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Every time I decide to give HotPass another shot I wind up getting PO'd again.... I've been watching Smoke's channel and his camera has been the secondary, smaller, window on his channel all race. I thought the point of HotPass was to be able to watch your driver with the network broadcast in the BACKGROUND.

Oh, and no positions scrolling across the top either.

Oh, and now they pop up the "team communications" graphic and have "Darian Grubb" listed as his crew chief. Do the HotPass people even know what NASCAR is?!?!?!

Edited by RunnerFL, 22 April 2012 - 12:00 PM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#114 OFFLINE   ChuckZ

ChuckZ

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

I too am a bit peeved with this weeks showing. I was watching Juniors channel and it appeared to me that the drivers audio was dropped from about lap 15 to about lap 35. Plus a couple other times it appeared that it was out...Junior is usually more vocal. During the first time, there were "beeps", which may have been them trying to get the audio back (?). The second time, there was "breaking squelch" sounds. It also appeared to me that the network audio was at times as loud or louder than the driver. I betcha if addressed, DTV will say it's all NASCAR's fault. BS! I don't know if any of the other drivers channels had the same problem, because I am experimenting this year (during Fox's run) with allowing the buffer to fill up for an hour and fast forwarding through the commercials AND the mini ads and anything else that bothers me...I would have lost the buffering if I changed channels.

I also noticed that the usual graphics were missing...the ones that showed the drivers position and the car in front and behind.

I've previously mentioned about Mikey (vaccinated by a Victrola needle when born) joining the pre-race and the cut-ins during the race. With three dang good folks in the booth, why in the heck do they feel he can add anything better than them?! I purposely don't watch the pre-race because of him. I can't wait 'til the Fox portion ends and the other networks kick in.

I know "Hot Pass" is to be considered free, but in reality it's a part of our monthly fees and DTV can do way better all the way around. I realize that DTV can't do much about the Fox production...but!

ChuckZ
Harvest, AL

#115 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

I too am a bit peeved with this weeks showing. I was watching Juniors channel and it appeared to me that the drivers audio was dropped from about lap 15 to about lap 35. Plus a couple other times it appeared that it was out...Junior is usually more vocal. During the first time, there were "beeps", which may have been them trying to get the audio back (?). The second time, there was "breaking squelch" sounds. It also appeared to me that the network audio was at times as loud or louder than the driver. I betcha if addressed, DTV will say it's all NASCAR's fault. BS! I don't know if any of the other drivers channels had the same problem, because I am experimenting this year (during Fox's run) with allowing the buffer to fill up for an hour and fast forwarding through the commercials AND the mini ads and anything else that bothers me...I would have lost the buffering if I changed channels.

That's DirecTV's version of censorship.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#116 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

The telemetry showing the running position was not working so they took down the graphics. As far s I could tell the driver audio was fine.

If it wasn't free I'd probably feel short changed but since it is free I just roll with it. I can't imagine watching a race without Hotpass.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#117 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Hotpass worked great tonight. They fixed the issues they had last week and the volume levels were better.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#118 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

The telemetry showing the running position was not working so they took down the graphics. As far s I could tell the driver audio was fine.

If it wasn't free I'd probably feel short changed but since it is free I just roll with it. I can't imagine watching a race without Hotpass.

I agree, while they don't often feature my favorite drivers, I usually find one of the 4 to be acceptable.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#119 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

Destructor plate time at Talladega. Usually means doom for my fantasy teams.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#120 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

Destructor plate time at Talladega. Usually means doom for my fantasy teams.

ARCA put on a good show ... congrats to Larry Mac's kid! I suspect the older pros will not disappoint.

spam firewall