Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NASCAR Hotpass 2012

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Can't stand Wally, but I do enjoy Kyle's candor. Adam Alexander has done a nice job with the play by play too. Not looking forward to ESPN's Cup broadcasts. Allen Bestwick is excellent but DJ and Petree are brutal. Get Rusty out of the studio and put Nicole Briscoe with Ricky Craven and Brad Daugherty and things would be fine there.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   skaman74

skaman74

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

100% agree on how badly TNT does NASCAR. But ESPN is pretty garbage at it also with that stupid bottom line scoreboard during races and the top drivers scoreboard leaves the actuall viewing of the race in a small window.

Heres hoping FOX picks up NASCAR for the whole season soon.

rolltide

#143 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

TNT is, by far, the worst broadcaster of NASCAR and I do not see many people disagreeing. Absolutely bottom of the barrel. No one should ever let Petty on TV, let alone call a race. Everything from his voice to his attitude piss me off to no end.

Could not agree more. They are all interrupting each other in the booth all the time. And Petty's stammering is annoying.

I can't wait for ESPN and Bestwick to take over.

#144 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:03 AM

Last night's race was almost unwatchable. That huge spam section on the bottom with pop-ups was so annoying. They still had full screen commercials anyway. And Wally clearing his throat on air all night.......sheesh.

TERRIBLE!!!!

NASCAR, please, please, please never sign a deal with TNT again!!!

#145 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Last night's race was almost unwatchable. That huge spam section on the bottom with pop-ups was so annoying. They still had full screen commercials anyway. And Wally clearing his throat on air all night.......sheesh.

TERRIBLE!!!!

NASCAR, please, please, please never sign a deal with TNT again!!!

I, on the other hand, completely enjoyed last night's broadcast and wish all races had "Wide Open Coverage".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#146 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

I, on the other hand, completely enjoyed last night's broadcast and wish all races had "Wide Open Coverage".

Really? It was amateur hour in the booth. Talking over one another, stuttering and stammer about, walking us through replays like a few drunken dazed and confused fans. Not to mention the bottom 1/4 of the screen was wasted.

#147 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

Really? It was amateur hour in the booth. Talking over one another, stuttering and stammer about, walking us through replays like a few drunken dazed and confused fans. Not to mention the bottom 1/4 of the screen was wasted.

I don't think it was amateur hour at all. Wally and Kyle, in my opinion, make the best team and they aren't NASCAR's puppets. Wally and Kyle are better than Larry Mac murdering the English language with DW and WAY better than Andy Petree with that lamer Rusty Wallace. And as far as Alan Bestwick, well I wouldn't cry if he somehow got lost forever.

As far as the screen being wasted... Would you rather have the bottom of the screen used for commercials while we still get to see the race or a full screen commercial break every 2 minutes?

Yes, I like "Wide Open Coverage" and think all races should be done that way.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#148 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

it would be better if they did not go to commercial every 7 laps and they have done this all season long

#149 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,180 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

I thought the coverage last night was great. Whining about the bar at the bottom is just ridiculous when we get near constant coverage.

Between Trackpass Scanner and Hotpass, the commercials don't bother me much during the other broadcasts. Also, I always have the option of not watching if I don't like it.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#150 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

it would be better if they did not go to commercial every 7 laps and they have done this all season long

Which is why "Wide Open Coverage" is better. The only time they "went" to commercial was a few times for local commercials, which is mandatory.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#151 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Whining about the bar at the bottom is just ridiculous when we get near constant coverage.

Agreed.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#152 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

I watched Smoke's channel (795) on Hotpass all night so the TNT broadcast was in the background. I do like the "Wide Open" coverage and Indycar's similar "Side by Side". I thought TNT's most recent version of "Wide Open" was the best they have done. In past years much more screen was used for the ads and the race was much less visible. Last night was less intrusive.

#153 OFFLINE   Cravenfan

Cravenfan

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

I've watched two races now with HotPass and I've got to say, I love it! I have the PIP going with another driver in the bottom right corner, so I can see two in car cams at the same time. :) Sometimes the "vroom!" sound effects freak me out a bit, but they seem to be less as the race progressses.

#154 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,180 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

I've watched two races now with HotPass and I've got to say, I love it! I have the PIP going with another driver in the bottom right corner, so I can see two in car cams at the same time. :) Sometimes the "vroom!" sound effects freak me out a bit, but they seem to be less as the race progressses.

I can't even imagine NOT having Hotpass anymore. If it goes away I will be really really bummed. And my driver barely ever gets a channel.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#155 OFFLINE   ChuckZ

ChuckZ

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Could someone clarify something for me about the TNT broadcast? It concerns the "local broadcast" mentioned by Mr Alexander Saturday. I know when any program is on the big three ABC, CBS and NBC, they have our local broadcast stations that will insert their local ads. However, since TNT is a cable broadcast company, where does the "local broadcast" situation come into play? Could it be that the local cable company (or DTV in our case) has the right to insert their ads?! Just wondering!

As to the comments about Larry Mac killing the English language, I guess since I was moved down here from Pennsylvania by the Army back in 1993, I have gotten used to many southerners in the "Heart of Dixie" speaking a language different from what I had been used to...but I got over it. HA!

Plus, praise be to God that next weeks race at Loudon will be TNT's last of this year. Their broadcast of the races are the worst. The onliest exception is Fox since they inserted Michael Waltrip into their program...my mute button really gets a workout during his stint.

ChuckZ
Harvest, AL

#156 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Could someone clarify something for me about the TNT broadcast? It concerns the "local broadcast" mentioned by Mr Alexander Saturday. I know when any program is on the big three ABC, CBS and NBC, they have our local broadcast stations that will insert their local ads. However, since TNT is a cable broadcast company, where does the "local broadcast" situation come into play? Could it be that the local cable company (or DTV in our case) has the right to insert their ads?! Just wondering!

All broadcast channels are required to provide X amount of time, per hour I believe, to "local broadcast". it doesn't matter if it's a cable channel or one of the big four, you forgot FOX.

As to the comments about Larry Mac killing the English language, I guess since I was moved down here from Pennsylvania by the Army back in 1993, I have gotten used to many southerners in the "Heart of Dixie" speaking a language different from what I had been used to...but I got over it. HA!

I was born in the south and I've heard bad grammar before but his is an insult. Someone who can't clearly speak English shouldn't be an on air personality for anything. Mushmouth from Fat Albert's gang would be a better on air broadcaster than Larry Mac.

The onliest exception is Fox since they inserted Michael Waltrip into their program...my mute button really gets a workout during his stint.

Yeah, definitely a bad choice on FOX's part by adding Mikey.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#157 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

All broadcast channels are required to provide X amount of time, per hour I believe, to "local broadcast". it doesn't matter if it's a cable channel or one of the big four, you forgot FOX.

Just to clarify, it's not "required" in the sense that it's a government regulation or law, it's only required by contract: the broadcast networks' contracts with their affiliates, and cable networks' contracts with satellite and local cable providers, contain provisions that they'll provide X minutes of time per hour for local commercials.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#158 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Dream Team:

Ned Jarrett - color Analyst
DW - color Analyst
Mike Joy - lap by lap
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Remote Logitech Harmony 900
Service DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic
Receivers HR-34/700

#159 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

Mike Joy is the best of the best.

I think Ned's son Dale does a very nice job and he keeps getting better.

That is why I like ESPN. They don't have announcers that embarrass the sport....(Kyle Petty, Wally (choke on air) Dallenbach.)

#160 OFFLINE   ChuckZ

ChuckZ

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Good riddance TNT...at least for another year.

Yesterday's race was the worst as far as times for commercials...according to CAWS & JAWS -
http://www.cawsnjaws...trial-tools-301

The race took 124 minutes whereas the commercial times were 56 minutes and when you add in the brief commercials of 5 minutes...that's roughly 61 minutes total or half of the race. Not to mention all of the TV promos...absurd.

Why does NASCAR allow one entity to ruin an otherwise halfway decent race? I guess NASCAR likes the revenue! If it wasn't for Hotpass, I'd be more livid. Bring on the ESPN family and the Chase.

Chuckz
Harvest, AL

Protected By... spam firewall...And...