Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Direct TV / MSG Network carriage agreement

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rtisby

rtisby

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

I live in Rochester, NY where FIOS is not available and Both Dish Network and Time Warner have lost MSG network feeds through failed negotiations. The only carrier left is Direct TV and I am considering switching in order to continue watching Sabres games. The concern that I have is that Direct TV is refusing to disclose whether their current contract with MSG will be coming up for renewal within the next two years and that leads me to believe that it probably is. I would switch over today if they would just assure me that they will be carrying MSG for the length of my contract with them but they are being very evasive and claim that they don't have that information. MSG has also not yet responded to emails. Why so secretive about the length of the contract? I'm not looking for specific terms, just some reassurance that I won't be held hostage with ETF's if MSG decides to use the same negotiating tactics with Direct TV when the current agreement expires. I would think that it would be a great advertising tool to announce to all of the current Time Warner customers that they won't have to worry about loosing MSG during their commitment if they make the switch. Does anyone out there have any knowledge of the current situation or contract that DTV has with MSG?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

I live in Rochester, NY where FIOS is not available and Both Dish Network and Time Warner have lost MSG network feeds through failed negotiations. The only carrier left is Direct TV and I am considering switching in order to continue watching Sabres games. The concern that I have is that Direct TV is refusing to disclose whether their current contract with MSG will be coming up for renewal within the next two years and that leads me to believe that it probably is. I would switch over today if they would just assure me that they will be carrying MSG for the length of my contract with them but they are being very evasive and claim that they don't have that information. MSG has also not yet responded to emails. Why so secretive about the length of the contract? I'm not looking for specific terms, just some reassurance that I won't be held hostage with ETF's if MSG decides to use the same negotiating tactics with Direct TV when the current agreement expires. I would think that it would be a great advertising tool to announce to all of the current Time Warner customers that they won't have to worry about loosing MSG during their commitment if they make the switch. Does anyone out there have any knowledge of the current situation or contract that DTV has with MSG?

Thanks

You have the wrong forum. You should go to the Directv forum and ask.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=200438

Protected By... spam firewall...And...