Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 coming this weekend - what cabling needed?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cbd1

cbd1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

Hi, I have an HR34 scheduled to be installed this weekend, and due to a previous hack job that was done on my prior home by the D* contractor some years ago, I prefer to have all of my rg6 in place myself so they are not tempted to destroy anything to add cabling. Currently, i have 3 rg6 from an existing mast that run into the attic (old E* install) and a single rg6 from the attic to the LR where the HR34 is needed. This is the only box i am getting for now, so I am wondering if this is enough, or will I need an additional rg6 from the attic to the LR? I am guessing that the 3 from the mast to the attic should be enough for that run?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jasonki32

jasonki32

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

It really depends on what the installer does. If he uses a SWiM Lnb there will be one line coming into your house. If a SWiM8 or SWiM16, then there will be 4 lines coming into the house if they put the SWiM8 or 16 indoors. If the SWiM8 or 16 is installed outdoors, then one line would be coming indoors. As far as your LR you will only need one line going to the HR34.
HR24-500 Sony 46" LCD
HR24-500 Samsung 52" LCD
HR22-100 Sony 46" LCD
HR21-200 Sony 27"LCD
SWiM16 + DECA

#3 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

My Guess would be Since you are only getting a Hr34 (one box) the installer will use one of the three existing wires coming from the roof (SWM). And then you will one line to your HR34 location.

That is all that is need for now- The installer will place a swm switch at (location) where the wire's for the LR meet. After he leaves You can run additional rg6 from that location to any other rooms for future use-as any additonal wiring changes would only take place at the (*new) Swm Switch.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#4 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

It's tough to say what the installer would do if you gave him a chance.

But if you can set up a single continuous RG6 with no splitters, etc. in it from the HR34 location to the dish, that's all you'll need.

He'll replace your antenna with an AU9 with SWM ODU and put the power inserter by your HR34 (so make sure you have a 2nd plug).

Also, have internet at the HR34 if possible, or otherwise just have it somewhere else near the RG6 run. If you're using phone, it must be at the HR34.

Good luck.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

#5 OFFLINE   cbd1

cbd1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

Beautiful, thank you! I want to make this as easy as possible for both the installer and myself. I have a ups at the HR location with plenty of outlets, an Ethernet hub with available ports and a new HDMI receiver on the way from Newegg so hopefully this will be quick and painless.

I can barely contain my excitement! :D I "cut the cord" 2 years ago and went with a media center 7 PC with OTA only. I decided that while this may be ok for some people, I really missed the dish. I have been wanting to go back to D*, as I was with E* before, but wasn't interested in playing receiver roulette with D*'s policies about refurbs etc. Now that the 34 is available and I can be sure of getting exactly that, I'm all in again.. Thanks again!

spam firewall