Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

nomad apps android

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,979 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

Except for those devices that are not upgraded.

For many of those there will be CyanogenMod 9. I have Android 4 on a bootable SD card for my Nook Color. It's very early in the development process but looks quite promising.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

Except for those devices that are not upgraded.

Dun, dun, dunnnnn.....

Thats the crux of it alright. I'm just happy I'm not in that boat. Morotola has said that ICS is coming to the Xoom (eventually).

Apple has left devices behind as well. It's not just android.

Don't remind me, I'm still peeved about Siri on my iPhone 3GS.

:backtotop Android is a major platform, I sure something is in the works.

When it releases, thats another story.

Edited by Draconis, 04 January 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

We stated that 2.3 would merge the field with Android devices. It's always the same story. The bottom line is I couldn't care less buy developers do and they want to have stability. This is something the Android community keeps saying "soon" on but something always fragments it between the phone makers and the phone companies. At this point I'm not longing drinking the kool aid and I need industry proof that this is happening. That will only come from developer app support.

#24 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

But Draconis is right. It's not a matter of if, but when, there will be an android client.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#25 ONLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

In my day job, we are going through heck with Android 2.1-2.3 compatibility and 3.0 and now 4.0. I am not generally a fan of Apple but have to admit, their stricter environment makes life easier for developers. Didn't think so at first but now I know.

#26 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,723 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

Google is recognizing that they were too open and free with phone manufacturers, letting them run amok with customizations that caused headaches for developers, so Google has been taking steps with new development tools, policies, and partnerships with phone manufacturers to standardize the Android experience and establish accelerated update schedules for newer phones when new Android OS releases are made available.

Even with those changes, there's still a larger percentage of Android devices on Froyo than on Gingerbread, while the number of devices on Honeycomb and ICS doesn't even come close to the Gingerbread number.

I think at some point app developers have to make a decision to not support older Android versions, just like many web sites stopped supporting IE6 a couple of years ago, or for brand new apps, have to make a decision that they will only support ICS and later.

#27 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

It's hard to say when... it could be months... but there will be a Nomad Android app.

Ten months later I find this post amusing. :D

#28 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Ten months later I find this post amusing. :D

Ten months later I find this post disappointing.

#29 OFFLINE   infounlim

infounlim

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

+1

Protected By... spam firewall...And...