Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung RVU TVs - Issues and Discussion (Q1-2012)

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

This is an unofficial issue and discussion thread for Samsung TVs with RVU, firmware 1025 and higher.

This firmware is available as of 12/8/11.

To use RVU, make sure the HR34 is powered up, select RVU as the source, and follow the onscreen instructions.

This Setup Guide will give you an idea on how to configure the Samsung TV with an HR34 running the "blue UI." When the new HD UI rolls out for HR34, the instructions will be the same, except getting to the menu will be different.

A note: at this time the only approved RVU setup option is a truck roll, in other words, allowing DIRECTV to do the install. However, if you have a spare broadband DECA it is possible to do this install yourself by hooking up the TV via the DECA.

The Samsung TV remote is used to control the RVU TV, not the DIRECTV remote. If you have had professional installation, the installer will leave the appropriate remote for you.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

I have the HR34 and a Samsung D6400 series working, but am unhappy with this setup. I was sent a RC70X remote, which is supposed to control the Samsung TV out of the box. However, mine doesn't. It'll control the HR34 directly, but not the RVU client. I have talked to Case Management who says that there's something wrong with the RC70X remote, but are not able to send me a replacement. They recommended contacting Samsung for resolution, even though the RC70X isn't a Samsung remote. I am less than thrilled with the result, and even less so with the RVU client.

DirecTV insisted that the TV is connected by DECA. I've had mine connected three different ways - through a Netgear Powerline adapter (XAVB1004), DECA (DECABB1R0) and a direct Ethernet connection through a Cisco 100-series switch (SR2016T). They all suffer from the same latency problems. The menus are slow and it's next to impossible to rewind/fast forward through commercials. And with the Samsung remote, there's no skip.

Right now I don't know what to do to resolve my issues. Unless I want to have another DVR, I still don't get back the features I want. No rewind using an H24 and I suspect the performance of the C30 will be similar to the client built into my 6400.
  • rdjohnso likes this

#3 OFFLINE   drp392

drp392

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

I have the HR34 and a Samsung D6400 series working, but am unhappy with this setup. I was sent a RC70X remote, which is supposed to control the Samsung TV out of the box. However, mine doesn't. It'll control the HR34 directly, but not the RVU client. I have talked to Case Management who says that there's something wrong with the RC70X remote, but are not able to send me a replacement. They recommended contacting Samsung for resolution, even though the RC70X isn't a Samsung remote. I am less than thrilled with the result, and even less so with the RVU client.

DirecTV insisted that the TV is connected by DECA. I've had mine connected three different ways - through a Netgear Powerline adapter (XAVB1004), DECA (DECABB1R0) and a direct Ethernet connection through a Cisco 100-series switch (SR2016T). They all suffer from the same latency problems. The menus are slow and it's next to impossible to rewind/fast forward through commercials. And with the Samsung remote, there's no skip.

Right now I don't know what to do to resolve my issues. Unless I want to have another DVR, I still don't get back the features I want. No rewind using an H24 and I suspect the performance of the C30 will be similar to the client built into my 6400.

I'm having the same latency issues as well with my D6400. The worst part is the audio gets out of sync with the picture. I have firmware version 1026.
  • rdjohnso likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

What's the thoughts on the RC70X remote?

Any thoughts on how it compares to the RC65 if it was used as the remote for the HR34 directly?

(Love to play with one but don't think there's anyway to obtain one)
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#5 OFFLINE   TAK3210

TAK3210

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

Boy, doesn't sound like a great start for RVU. Glad I passed. The clencher for me was when I found out the "you don't need a box!" thing turned out to be "you don't need that box, but you do need this other rectangular shaped thing here called a DECA..."

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

Any thoughts on how it compares to the RC65 if it was used as the remote for the HR34 directly?

I'll tell you, the RC70 is cute, smaller than the RC65 but has the same overall build quality. I'm still waiting for the final Samsung version, as are others, so I'm holding off on a full review.

#7 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

I'm having the same latency issues as well with my D6400. The worst part is the audio gets out of sync with the picture. I have firmware version 1026.

I just upgraded to 1026 from 1025 a few minutes ago. We'll see if it makes any difference. I've found when the audio gets out of sync, if I pause for about 5 seconds, then press play, it syncs again. I've also had a problem with 1025 that if I hit fast forward twice too quickly, it'll skip to nearly the end of the recording. I have to hit fast forward, wait a second or two, then hit it again, count to ten, then press play and hope that I'm somewhere close to skipping through the commercials.

So far, it blows. It can't be programmed through the normal mute/select procedure, so there's no tv control. At least I can't program mine that way. From what I've found, they're not only hard to get in the first place, it's impossible to get a replacement for a defective unit.

#8 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

Boy, doesn't sound like a great start for RVU. Glad I passed. The clencher for me was when I found out the "you don't need a box!" thing turned out to be "you don't need that box, but you do need this other rectangular shaped thing here called a DECA..."

You don't really need a DECA. I've used a Powerline adapter, a DECA and am currently hard-wired with a Cat5e cable and I don't see a performance difference between any of them.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

Really? You must have used one of the 250Mbps powerline adapters. Mine was unwatchable through an 85Mbps powerline adapter.

I suspect good wired GigE would work just fine, but the spec is to use coax and a powered DECA.

#10 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

Really? You must have used one of the 250Mbps powerline adapters. Mine was unwatchable through an 85Mbps powerline adapter.

I suspect good wired GigE would work just fine, but the spec is to use coax and a powered DECA.

Both the TV and the HR34 are 100MB Ethernet connections. The DECA is rated at 200MB (100MB each direction). I used Netgear Powerline XAVB1004 (also rated 200MB, 100MB each direction). My switch is an unmanaged Cisco 100 series (10/100/1000 ports).

#11 OFFLINE   penetronn

penetronn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

Ugh, that's bad news. RVU is supposed to be "pixel perfect" with zero latency, etc. All IPTV solutions I've seen over the years (Media Center, Mediaroom, Xbox Live) have serious latency/buffering issues. I would have hoped this would have been fixed with RVU.

#12 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

RVU Alliance Announces Major Update to RVU Specification:

http://www.businessw...U-Specification

3D, mobile ... cool stuff ...
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#13 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

I read that to mean that there are too many shortcomings with the current version of RVU and they're hoping for better performance with the next version.

Has anyone been successful in getting the RC70X to control their Samsung TV?

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

A better question, how many people actually have an RC70x? They seem to be in short supply.

#15 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

RC70X success! Controls my TV and I have my skip forward/back buttons again! My local DirecTV guys are awesome and I can't thank them enough in getting this resolved.

#16 OFFLINE   swannyva

swannyva

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

I know you guys are all "wired," and "in the know," etc. But since this isn't a Cutting Edge thread, might I respectfully request that you provide a little more detail, like explaining some of the buzz-words, acronyms, and nomenclature. It sure would go a long way toward making this an even more usable resource.

This is a great forum, guys, but one can sure get lost in the techno-speak.

Thanks for all the time and attention spent on so many issues!

John

#17 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

... and please tell us how to program the RC70X if mute-select doesn't work.

#18 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

I know you guys are all "wired," and "in the know," etc. But since this isn't a Cutting Edge thread, might I respectfully request that you provide a little more detail, like explaining some of the buzz-words, acronyms, and nomenclature. It sure would go a long way toward making this an even more usable resource.

This is a great forum, guys, but one can sure get lost in the techno-speak.

Thanks for all the time and attention spent on so many issues!

John

You might find this thread useful: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=200024

There is a link to a list of common acronyms.

#19 OFFLINE   MichaelG_STL

MichaelG_STL

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

Quick note on a couple of items. Specifically on the Samsung UN46D6050TF, Firmware v1026. Samsung states specifically RVU is supported. Calling case management again as my RH34 does not show the option to "add client" nor can the Sammy see it on the network. The Sammy CAN see other network sources such as my DLNA enabled NAS and PC's on the network. RVU IS showing on my account.

The last tech that came out was unaware in any way what RVU was or the concepts of how it could work. After he was here, the diagnostics test on the HR34 now shows an error of "network interference" and lists the MAC address of everything connected to my network. He suggested that the DECA could be bad in my HR34, but, I DO see the playlist from H25's also on the DECA network.

DirecTV also shipped me two RC70X's with no information. Not using them right now. Have played just a bit, and, of course, they control the receivers well. Haven't yet attempted to set them up for the Sammy.

#20 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

... and please tell us how to program the RC70X if mute-select doesn't work.

Mute/enter together until the light flashes twice, then enter 54000.

Quick note on a couple of items. Specifically on the Samsung UN46D6050TF, Firmware v1026. Samsung states specifically RVU is supported.

As far as I know, only the D6000, D6400 and D6420 support RVU. None of the other 6-series has it.

spam firewall