Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung RVU TVs - Issues and Discussion (Q1-2012)

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   eball

eball

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:18 AM

Don't know if this is the right thread for this question, but does anyone know what is the smallest RVU TV available? Looking to add one in the master bath and anything larger than 19" would be too big.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

Don't know if this is the right thread for this question, but does anyone know what is the smallest RVU TV available? Looking to add one in the master bath and anything larger than 19" would be too big.

I believe the smallest screen size currently available with RVU from Samsung is 32". The following Samsung series TV's have or have announced RVU capability:

6000, 6400, 6420
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#23 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

I don't think a RVU-capable set in that screen size is available yet. IF the RVU "standard" becomes more popular and more manufacturers release products that support RVU, you may eventually see the technology in smaller screen sizes. Also, RVU "support" in a device requires a certain amount of "computing horsepower" and many of the small screen TVs simply don't have the necessary electronics due to cost constraints.

I think DirecTV will eventually (later this year?) release a RVU "clent box" that will contain the necessary hardware/software and you could connect most TVs regardless of screen size to this box via a standard HDMI cable. Also, remember that the "standard" DirecTV functions such as changing channels, viewing the Guide and Playlist, playback, recording, etc. must be controlled by the TV remote since you don't have a "physical" DirecTV box at the RVU location. In other words, the TV IR/RF/Bluetooth interface must process the remote key presses and pass the appropriate "command" to a RVU server such as the HR-34. However, once the DirecTV RVU "client box" is released, you'll probably be able to use a regular DirecTV Remote since the DirecTV box will process the remote key presses and forward the corresponding commands to the HR-34.

#24 OFFLINE   eball

eball

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

Thx for the responses, mjwagner & denpri.

#25 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

It's possible we could see more RVU TVs at CES.

If you're not seeing "Add Client" on your HR34 it's because your RVU service isn't turned on. DIRECTV's policy is to have the tech call to turn it on after the install. If you go high enough in the chain you may get someone to turn it on for you but that would be the exception not the rule.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#26 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,479 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

We'll be looking high and low for RVU stuff! Especially hints at non-TV clients. I have a bet with someone about the size and shape of what's possible.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#27 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

It's possible we could see more RVU TVs at CES.

If you're not seeing "Add Client" on your HR34 it's because your RVU service isn't turned on. DIRECTV's policy is to have the tech call to turn it on after the install. If you go high enough in the chain you may get someone to turn it on for you but that would be the exception not the rule.

I was working with a very helpful Case Management Rep. on activating the RVU functionality and everything was going fine "on both sides" until the "Call DirecTV to Add A Location" screen appeared on my TV. The Rep. was ready to take the "next step" but apparently couldn't find any screen, entry, code, etc. on his side to add the RVU TV (and thereby add another "receiver charge" to my Account). Unfortunately, his supervisor also didn't know the "magic" code/steps to "Add A Location". The Case is supposedly still open and I was told to expect a callback in the next few days with a further response. Not sure but it looks like I may be "partially activated" since I can (a) select the RVU Input on the Samsung TV, (B) see a screen that says "Go to the HR-34 and select Add a Client", © select Add A Client and receive a PIN from the HR-34 and (d) enter this PIN on the TV and again see the "Call DirecTV" screen to add the "new location". Firmware version 4C9 is also running on the HR-34.

I do understand the need for a slow, methodical rollout of the new RVU technology but I'd think the "universe" of new customers in limited markets who want an HR-34 and also have and want their Samsung RVU-capable TV connected as a "RVU client" would be rather small and it would benefit everyone if a current customer who had the appropriate equipment was willing to be a "guinea pig" (and pay the extra charge!). However, I also realize that I probably don't understand the entire process and the various "behind the scenes" activity currently underway and the need to "go slow"! :)

#28 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

I don't know when or if directv will officially allow self-install of RVU clients. The underlying reason, though, is clear. I initially had problems with my RVU tv because I was networked over powerline. If directv allowed self installs, I am sure they would be deluged with people who didn't understand why the picture kept freezing. Sending a tech out is the bet way to confirm that the user has a good network connection to the client.

#29 OFFLINE   chellyaz

chellyaz

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

The 1026.0 version of the official samsung firmware for the UN32D6500VF states that it provides RVU support. This is the link I've been using:

http: / / samsung.com / us / support / downloads / led-tv / UN32D6500VF

The firmware description clearly states that this version 1026.0, dated Jan 3, 2011, provides RVU support. However I can't get my 6500 to recognize the firmware when trying to load it via USB. TV see's the flash, allows me to browse, etc..., but it doesn't think that there is a version on the drive to upgrade. I've unzipped, etc....

My TV upgraded itself over the network to 1026 a few weeks ago, but there is no indication in the inputs options that RVU support is available.

Samsung, rather than helping understand how to get the firmware recognized, keeps telling me that RVU support is not available for the D6500. Is there a real answer here?

Thanks in advance.
Carter

#30 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

You raise a valid point. However (and just like the original rollout of the Whole Home functionality that included a "public beta"), it should be possible to make it clear (i.e., by disclaimer language at time of activation) that any self-install is not supported and any service call(s) WILL be at the CUSTOMER'S expense on a time & materials basis. Also (and not by way of criticism!), there are posts in this Forum that suggest even tech-installed new/updated overall configurations are not always done right. Finally, IF product-based RVU-functionalilty (as opposed to RVU-support via DirecTV client boxes) DOES become popular, I'm sure the industry (especially for client-side products) will start emphasizing self-connect and "Plug-N-Play" concepts.

FWIW, I'm using DECA-based connectivity on all of my receivers and I've looked at the Coax Network Stats on all of the units. Phy Levels and Phy Rate Mesh values all appear to be well within the critieria stated in the DECA Networking FAQs. In other words, "I'm all dressed up and ready to go" but stuck in "limbo".

#31 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

The 1026.0 version of the official samsung firmware for the UN32D6500VF states that it provides RVU support. This is the link I've been using:

The firmware description clearly states that this version 1026.0, dated Jan 3, 2011, provides RVU support. However I can't get my 6500 to recognize the firmware when trying to load it via USB. TV see's the flash, allows me to browse, etc..., but it doesn't think that there is a version on the drive to upgrade. I've unzipped, etc....

My TV upgraded itself over the network to 1026 a few weeks ago, but there is no indication in the inputs options that RVU support is available.

Samsung, rather than helping understand how to get the firmware recognized, keeps telling me that RVU support is not available for the D6500. Is there a real answer here?

Thanks in advance.
Carter

Not sure I can help you on the firmware flash issue but after I performed a F/W 1.26 download via the "Online" process for my UN40D6420, the Inputs "Menu" included a new "RVU" input line. However, it was "greyed out" because, at the time, I didn't have any RVU-server(s) connected to my network. If you actually have version 1.26 installed, did you scroll all the way down on your Inputs "Menu"? In my case, I had several DLNA devices on my network and the RVU input line wasn't visible when I first opened the "Menu".

#32 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

Thanks in advance.
Carter

The following Samsung series TV's have or have announced RVU capability:

6000, 6400, 6420
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#33 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

Do we have any confirmation whether an RVU device can be added and removed to your account at will? In other words, many who own their receivers will activate them for a period of time (football season, spare bedroom, etc) will one be able to do the same with an RVU device?
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#34 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

I know I was easily able to change the number of clients on my account as long as I had a minimum of one.

#35 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

I know I was easily able to change the number of clients on my account as long as I had a minimum of one.

What would that mean for this situation?

Customer received install of:
1 HR34
3 H25's

Purchases a Samsung RVU capable Tv several months after install, but only wishes to use the Tv at certain times of the year.

If this customer has no additional RVU clients, and activites the Samsung Tv, can they not deactivate the same Tv when they wish (to save the mirror cost when not in use?)
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#36 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

What would that mean for this situation?

If this customer has no additional RVU clients, and activites the Samsung Tv, can they not deactivate the same Tv when they wish (to save the mirror cost when not in use?)

And will it restart their contract when an owned RVU client is activated?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#37 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

I think you're asking a lot of hypotheticals. There probably are policies in place for that sort of stuff but I don't know what they are.

#38 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

My "proposal" would include:

- Monthly fee equal to whatever the current "Add A Receiver" (mirroring) fee is at the time you "Add A Location".
- Month-to-month "subscription" (based on your billing cycle) with NO partial-month refunds if you cancel your subscription mid-cycle.
- On-line "activation" at no cost (and you ARE "on your own" when it comes to connectivity, how to connect, etc. issues) via existing customer account management features. This would allow you to add/subtract locations depending on your needs (e.g., Super Bowl weekend, kids home from college, etc.) with minimal customer/DirecTV time and expense.
- On the other hand, IF you need installation help (e.g., added coax run, additional DECA box), impose either a flat fee or time/materials service charge for a truck roll. Also, IF RVU technology becomes popular and the installed HR-34 (and later) base becomes significant, consider implementing a limited "free customer telephone support option" similar to what other consumer electronics companies offer customers who purchase a new product. However, the PROBLEM with limited "free support" by DirecTV is they will NOT see any new revenue from the sale of the RVU-product (e.g., Samsung TV, Onkyo A/V Receiver, etc.) and, in effect, would be incurring expense to support another company's product.
- IF you're a new install or eligible (& pay) for an HR-34 upgrade, normal installation would include a "one-time" connection of requested RVU-devices.

I know this "proposal" is probably unworkable in practice but IF RVU-technology ever "takes off", DirecTV will be simply one more "vendor" in the RVU-universe and they will have to support and manage customers who want to attach/remove/move RVU-devices on a regular basis. It would be fascinating to see what would happen to the RVU "support discussion" if a MAJOR, non-TV vendor decides to support RVU technology in their devices (the company with a fruit logo? :) )

#39 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,479 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

. It would be fascinating to see what would happen to the RVU "support discussion" if a MAJOR, non-TV vendor decides to support RVU technology in their devices (the company with a fruit logo? :) )

United Fruit Co.? Chiquita Banana is here to say.....

Or, is that low-hanging fruit? Adam n Eve stuff?

You raise great points.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#40 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

denpri, I think that makes a lot of sense, in the future. With RVU in such an early phase, I understand why it's sort of closed right now.

spam firewall