Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung RVU TVs - Issues and Discussion (Q1-2012)

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

Success! Worked with another Case Mgmt. Rep a few minutes ago & RVU client (UN40D6420) is now active. Only spent a few minutes "navigating" with the TV Remote (i.e., the Rep couldn't find any way to send a RC70X) but, so far, the video & BASIC functions (e.g., channel change, last channel, "info", etc.) work fine. The only problem I've noted so far is the "audio sync" issue mentioned earlier in this thread. Audio trails video by a fraction of a second. HR-34 F/W is 4C9, Samsung F/W is 1026 and using DECA connectivity between HR-34 & TV (and all other DirecTV receivers).

Does anyone have a "translation guide" that IDs which keys on the Samsung Remote correspond to DirecTV functions? The Rep. mentioned an internal-only document which I obviously can't see.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   alexginga

alexginga

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

I am able to control all my DirecTV HD DVR Receivers in the house using the following IP Control Remote URL on my ipod and iphone:

www.waltzremote.com

I have bookmarked the URL on my iPhone and can use it for trickplay and all advanced functions. It even includes a Macro for Smart Search (macro currently working only with the traditional blue UI).

Note: If you hold INFO button for two seconds (or visit the system info & test screen on the system menu) - the unit's IP Address will be displayed - you need to enter it in the remote Setup screen before you control the TV.

Have you tried using it for your RVU client?

#43 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

Actually, the regular Samsung TV Remote works quite well when controlling a RVU "session" and most of the DirecTV keys have similar counterparts on the Samsung remote so I probably won't experiment with third-party solutions right now. Of course, if the DirecTV iPad App would start supporting RVU "sessions", I'd be a happy camper! :)

Also solved the audio sync issue - Had to adjust the "audio delay" setting in the Samsung "Sound Menu". It was set to "60" (not sure if this is the "default setting") and I adjusted it to "30".

So far, I'm very pleased with the RVU feature. There is some slugishness in Menu appearance, etc. BUT I'm not sure it's an RVU-only issue since the HR-34 Menus, remote response, etc. are also slow (at least compared to the HR-24/H-25 HD GUI) even on a TV directly connected to the HR-34.

#44 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

denpri, have you found a key combination that allows you to do 30-second skip or replay? Everything else seems to have a counterpart but that.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#45 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

denpri, have you found a key combination that allows you to do 30-second skip or replay? Everything else seems to have a counterpart but that.

You are right - Can't find any combinations that support these 2 functions.

Also, I'm noticing the audio sync issue is a little more subtle than a simple adjustment to the TV's "audio delay" setting. If I change channels, stop/resume playback of recorded items and even stop/resume live TV during a RVU session, there may/may not be a slight audio delay. As a result, the "value" of the "audio delay" setting seems to vary between 0 and 20-30. Based on this, I think there IS a sync issue but not sure whether it's in the server (HR-34) or client (TV) software.

#46 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

I never could figure out how to make the Samsung remote skip, even though the logo is printed right above the ff/rw buttons. But the skip button is on the Samsung iPhone remote app.

It pains me to say that even though I now have the RC70X remote working, skip operation sucks.

Every day I become less and less tolerant of the RVU shortcomings :mad:

#47 OFFLINE   shaddow22

shaddow22

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

If you're not seeing "Add Client" on your HR34 it's because your RVU service isn't turned on. DIRECTV's policy is to have the tech call to turn it on after the install. If you go high enough in the chain you may get someone to turn it on for you but that would be the exception not the rule.

FYI, I can "Add Client" on the HR34 and enter the PIN on the D6400 just fine without RVU enabled on my account. Once the two are paired, it goes to a screen that says to call DirecTV to add RVU. As an existing customer, this is where it all stops until Feb 9...

#48 OFFLINE   brent112

brent112

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

I never could figure out how to make the Samsung remote skip, even though the logo is printed right above the ff/rw buttons. But the skip button is on the Samsung iPhone remote app.

It pains me to say that even though I now have the RC70X remote working, skip operation sucks.

Every day I become less and less tolerant of the RVU shortcomings :mad:

Same here, i have an RVU capable TV but ended up having to just use a H25 i bought off ebay. The wife acceptance factor was not there. The sluggish interface and no skipping was driving her crazy. Hopefully they will push an update soon to fix those issues so i can go back to using it.

#49 OFFLINE   chellyaz

chellyaz

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Not sure I can help you on the firmware flash issue but after I performed a F/W 1.26 download via the "Online" process for my UN40D6420, the Inputs "Menu" included a new "RVU" input line. However, it was "greyed out" because, at the time, I didn't have any RVU-server(s) connected to my network. If you actually have version 1.26 installed, did you scroll all the way down on your Inputs "Menu"? In my case, I had several DLNA devices on my network and the RVU input line wasn't visible when I first opened the "Menu".

Sorry for the delay and thanks for responding. Yes, I did go through the complete inputs menu with no joy. Of course its possible that the error is in the 1026.0 firmware description for the UN32D6500VF, but I won't really know until I can download the latest 1026.0 to my TV. Any suggestions on how to get the Jan 03, 2012 release installed would be most excellent.

Thanks again

#50 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

Sorry for the delay and thanks for responding. Yes, I did go through the complete inputs menu with no joy. Of course its possible that the error is in the 1026.0 firmware description for the UN32D6500VF, but I won't really know until I can download the latest 1026.0 to my TV. Any suggestions on how to get the Jan 03, 2012 release installed would be most excellent.

Thanks again

I simply used the "online update" method. Also, keep in mind some features listed in the "firmware changes" log may not be available on all models. For example, the log talks about changes to 3D functionality but not all sets have this capability. I'm not sure but RVU functionality may be limited to certain screen sizes. The easiest solution is to make sure you have installed 1026.0 (1/3/12) and then check the input menu again.

#51 OFFLINE   penetronn

penetronn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:07 AM

Same here, i have an RVU capable TV but ended up having to just use a H25 i bought off ebay. The wife acceptance factor was not there. The sluggish interface and no skipping was driving her crazy. Hopefully they will push an update soon to fix those issues so i can go back to using it.

When you say sluggish interface, are you saying between 1 or 2 seconds after button press on the remote the TV will respond?

#52 OFFLINE   brent112

brent112

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

When you say sluggish interface, are you saying between 1 or 2 seconds after button press on the remote the TV will respond?

Correct. Which makes skipping/ff/rw nearly impossible. Same response using Samsung remote and harmony.

#53 OFFLINE   penetronn

penetronn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

Correct. Which makes skipping/ff/rw nearly impossible. Same response using Samsung remote and harmony.

Well that's a complete bummer. I hope they support the 2011 models since Samsung seems to barreling full steam ahead with all of their 2012 Smart TV models with this feature.

#54 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

Thanks again

Your TV does not support RVU.

#55 OFFLINE   hrerikl

hrerikl

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hey guys,
My parents just got a new install that included an hr34 and rvu to their samsung. They did not get an rc70x yet. So far they have 2 complaints. Often after ff/play, theyaudio will drop out completely. Also, they have not been able to find the button on their samsung remote that maps to the guide button. Does anyone who has this same setup, know the corresponding button so I canhelp them over the phone.

Thanks,

Erik

#56 OFFLINE   brent112

brent112

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hey guys,
My parents just got a new install that included an hr34 and rvu to their samsung. They did not get an rc70x yet. So far they have 2 complaints. Often after ff/play, theyaudio will drop out completely. Also, they have not been able to find the button on their samsung remote that maps to the guide button. Does anyone who has this same setup, know the corresponding button so I canhelp them over the phone.

Thanks,

Erik

The "CH List" button in between the Vol and Ch buttons will bring up the guide.

#57 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Erik

I have the same setup & occasionally suffer the same drop out problem along with occasional audio "sync" issues. I assume there will be a firmware update fairly soon that will address some of the issues. Also, I found that briefly hitting the "pause" button after performing the FF function will help "resync" audio and video.

#58 OFFLINE   penetronn

penetronn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

I have the same setup & occasionally suffer the same drop out problem along with occasional audio "sync" issues. I assume there will be a firmware update fairly soon that will address some of the issues. Also, I found that briefly hitting the "pause" button after performing the FF function will help "resync" audio and video.

I hope there is a firmware update to address these issues, although Samsung hasn't always been the best about getting these things out in a timely manner, if at all.

#59 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:14 AM

Actually I think Samsung has been fairly proactive with updates. I've had 3 since I got my TV in the summer. The whole time I had my Philips I had one.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#60 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

I hope there is a firmware update to address these issues, although Samsung hasn't always been the best about getting these things out in a timely manner, if at all.

One ongoing problem with RVU issues is "Who's at fault?". For any given problem, is a Samsung, DirecTV or both F/W fix required? The other problem all RVU "early birds" such as you and I will face is, as of now, there isn't any other hardware (either "server side", HR34, or "client side", Samsung) that we could use to better isolate which device is causing the problem. We should see additional RVU hardware in the next several months but, at least in my case, there's a limit to how much more $$ I'll spend on this technology over the next 12-18 months since I've pretty much updated all of my audio/video hardware to the "latest & greatest" over the past few months.

I believe you'll see a DirecTV F/W update before Samsung updates their F/W but, assuming they both want to continue supporting/expanding RVU-functionality, I would hope BOTH companies will work together to produce timely F/W updates to BOTH devices over the next 3-6 months. I just hope Samsung recognizes the need to continue supporting RVU-functionality (via periodic F/W updates) in their 2011 models for AT LEAST another 12-18 months instead of simply "abandoning" these models as soon as the 2012 models hit the showrooms in the next few months. IMHO, if they do, in fact, abandon their 2011 RVU customer base, it will NOT bode well for the future of any "RVU alliance". The TV set manufacturers need to understand they have essentially "crossed the line" and are now selling BOTH hardware AND SOFTWARE to their customers. In the PC industry, PC/tablet/etc. customers generally realize the hardware (absent a major design flaw or safety-related problem) is "fixed" at the time of purchase BUT they EXPECT software (e.g., BIOS, device-specific drivers, etc.) will be updated/fixed for at least 18-24 months (in some cases, much longer) after first release even though the manufacturer may not "technically" be required to provide such support. I hope TV set manufacturers such as Samsung will recognize the need to embrace a similar support strategy and continue providing F/W updates for at least TWO (THREE?) model year "cycles" after the initial year.

The problem with this idea is it discourages customers from wanting/buying the "next great" TV but I frankly think new, HDTV set demand in many regions of the world will quickly plateau in the next year or two and then fall to a more typical "replacement demand" cycle of 4-7+ years. I know many folks think the appearance of new set technology could continue to stimulate a more frequent replacement cycle (similar to the PC/tablet industry) but it's one thing to trash, sell, trade-in, etc. a relatively small, stand-alone device such as a cellphone, PC, tablet, etc. compared to a much bigger, wall-mounted, custom-installed, etc. home audio/video device such as a 55" flat screen.
  • rdjohnso likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...