Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung RVU TVs - Issues and Discussion (Q1-2012)

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   penetronn

penetronn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

Correct. Which makes skipping/ff/rw nearly impossible. Same response using Samsung remote and harmony.

Any improvemnt on the sluggish interface? Even if Sammy did realease an update, it's possible that updates to the 34 might improve performance. The reason I ask is that I'm about to pull the trigger on the UN46D6000S this week when the tax return comes. I'll still probably get it, but I'd feel better if I knew there was improvement.
Also I have another question: does the RVU protocol support 5.1 Dolby Digital for the client TV? If so, I assume it passes to a receiver with the television's toslink/optical connection?

Edited by penetronn, 26 January 2012 - 06:12 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   kerbo

kerbo

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

I had Direct installed 3 weeks ago and got an HR34 and three H25s. I only have one HD TV and currently using component video to get an SD signal to the old TVs.

My intent when getting Direct was to replace my old TVs with HD TVs and as part of that process, I just bought a Samsung D6050 that I was hoping to connect to the HR34 using RVU.

I called Direct regarding the process to activate and they said it is not officially available to the public so there was nothing they could tell me, at least not officially. What they think will happen is there will be an activation fee to connect the TV and a $6/mo "mirroring" charge. An installer will have to come out to do the install although if you have an ethernet connection, I suspect the process will simply be flipping through the menus on your TV and making sure it works. I asked about a self install option and they didn't know, citing again nothing is official.

Lastly, they hinted at Feb 9 as being the official availability date.....

#63 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

My intent when getting Direct was to replace my old TVs with HD TVs and as part of that process, I just bought a Samsung D6050 that I was hoping to connect to the HR34 using RVU.

One thing you need to check is whether your Samsung (a) has the latest firmware (v. 1026) and (B) actually supports RVU functionality. An easy way to determine whether your set supports RVU is to verify the 1026 F/W is installed and then scroll through the "Source Input" list. If you see a greyed-out "RVU" as one of the inputs, you're ready to go and hopefully you can get more installation information on/after Feb. 9.

#64 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

Can someone please post a few pictures in this thread real quick of the RC70X remote control for me so I can verify that I'm getting the right one?

#65 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,839 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Can someone please post a few pictures in this thread real quick of the RC70X remote control for me so I can verify that I'm getting the right one?

Here.

Attached Thumbnails

• DirecTV_Remote_RC70X.png

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#66 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

I know it's OT but as an FYI, HBO2GO is now available on many Samsung SmartTV's for DIRECTV HBO subs.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#67 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

Now that HR34s are officially "out in the open" for existing customers, does anyone know if/when the RC70X can be ordered via the Web Site?

#68 OFFLINE   jcricket

jcricket

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

So My Samsung UN46D6000 is on its way. If I call up D* after that and ask to replace my existing HR22 with an HR24 + RVU it's all legit now right (I'm not asking what it will cost, I know there's another thread for that). Meaning - they should be able to have someone, as part of the install, give me the right remote and get RVU set up?

#69 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

So My Samsung UN46D6000 is on its way. If I call up D* after that and ask to replace my existing HR22 with an HR24 + RVU it's all legit now right (I'm not asking what it will cost, I know there's another thread for that). Meaning - they should be able to have someone, as part of the install, give me the right remote and get RVU set up?

HR24's are not going to do much with RVU.... I presume it's the HR34 you meant to write.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#70 OFFLINE   jcricket

jcricket

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

Typo - yes, HR34. Figured out the connection stuff, but after reading all this wondering if I'm not just better off getting a 2nd DVR and dealing with MRV until they get RVU figured out.

Meh... worst case is I try it, hate it, and then get an H25 or something to go along with the HR34.

Edited by jcricket, 23 February 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#71 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 647 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

I've seen a couple of RVU setup options and I'm still not clear. Does RVU eliminate the 'dish'? and....is the system a wireless?

I thought I saw where you still need the dish and the signal is still brought in the way it is now the only difference is the HR34 acts like a server and delivers the signal to the other TVs as long as they are hooked up via cable on the network...?:confused:

#72 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

I've seen a couple of RVU setup options and I'm still not clear. Does RVU eliminate the 'dish'? and....is the system a wireless?

I thought I saw where you still need the dish and the signal is still brought in the way it is now the only difference is the HR34 acts like a server and delivers the signal to the other TVs as long as they are hooked up via cable on the network...?:confused:

Correct, RVU is just the technology that is used between the server and the client. In this case the HR34 is the server and the Samsung TVs are the client. RVU allows the Samsung TV to connect to the HR34 over an internal network to get both the GUI and programming off of the HR34. So you no longer have to have a DirecTV receiver at every TV.

In the future we may see stuff like an RVU Blu-Ray changer that would allow you to watch your Blu-Ray collection in any room of the house on your RVU enabled TV.

As far as the dish and HR34 are concerned they are still hooked together like any other HR2x HD-DVR that DirecTV offers.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#73 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'm out. RVU on a bedroom TV might be ok, but it blows when it's on the main viewing area set. I gave up waiting for C31 a couple weeks ago and ordered a H25 for the master bedroom. Today I ordered a HR24 for the master bedroom, the H25 will go into the guest room and I'm moving the HR34 to the main television. I've been waiting and hoping for updates from DirecTV/Samsung to take care of the issues, but they never come. Maybe I'll try it again after they do some updates and someone else goes through the pains. I miss the positive DirecTV experience that's been absent with RVU. I can't wait to have functioning trick play again!

#74 OFFLINE   slapshot54

slapshot54

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Any idea if the whole line of 2012 samsung flat screens are RVU enabled. Im looking at the 26" EH4000 set for the kids playroom and want something small.

#75 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

Any idea if the whole line of 2012 samsung flat screens are RVU enabled. Im looking at the 26" EH4000 set for the kids playroom and want something small.

No, it's not the whole line. Specific models are mentioned earlier in this thread.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#76 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:02 AM

No, it's not the whole line. Specific models are mentioned earlier in this thread.

According to Samsung all 2012 "Smart" TV's will be RVU enabled.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#77 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

Looking at Samsung's website
It doesn't specify which models are considered "SMART TVs". I don't want to buy a 2011 model when the 2012 models are cheaper

Also their official pricing press release on prices is kinda confusing unless i am not reading it properly

Edited by naijai, 07 March 2012 - 09:18 PM.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#78 OFFLINE   themadbear

themadbear

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

As far as I've been able to put together, Samsung's 2012 (UNxxExxxxx) Smart TVs start with the 6100 series - nowhere have I seen the 2012 6000 series referred to as "Smart TVs", on Samsung's website, or anywhere else.

Compare the new 6000 http://www.abt.com/p...EH6000FXZA.html with the new 6100 http://www.abt.com/p...ES6100FXZA.html - the 6000 seems less expensive than last year's, but only because it's lacking the Smart TV features. Samsung has also implemented a new pricing policy that will result in overall higher pricing for their 2012 sets - http://hdguru.com/wi...7317/#more-7317, if you're an internet shopper.:mad:

Bottom line - look for clearance sales on the D6XXX models right now, if you're in the market.

#79 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

I believe that the smart TVs will have an "S" in them. Here's what I can decipher from Samsung's naming system:

"UN" = television, (possibly LED backlit or sidelit LCD only)
## = size in inches, nominally.
"E" = 2012 model. I know "D" = 2011 and "C" = 2010.
"S" = new code for 2012 that may indicate smart TV.
#### = more details (240Hz, local dimming, 3D, etc.)

I have a UN46D6420, that's a 2011-model 46" TV. I think the equivalent model is the UN46ES6500.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#80 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

I believe that the smart TVs will have an "S" in them. Here's what I can decipher from Samsung's naming system:

"UN" = television, (possibly LED backlit or sidelit LCD only)
## = size in inches, nominally.
"E" = 2012 model. I know "D" = 2011 and "C" = 2010.
"S" = new code for 2012 that may indicate smart TV.
#### = more details (240Hz, local dimming, 3D, etc.)

I have a UN46D6420, that's a 2011-model 46" TV. I think the equivalent model is the UN46ES6500.

PN = Plasma North America
LN = LCD North America
UN = LED-LCD North America

There are also UE and UA among others, E for Europe and A for Asia.

spam firewall