Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung RVU TVs - Issues and Discussion (Q1-2012)

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   slapshot54

slapshot54

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

Found something. This is from Amazon.com. Looks like the 5300 is the cheapest smart tv.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2012-03-09 at 7.24.43 PM.png

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

Found something. This is from Amazon.com. Looks like the 5300 is the cheapest smart tv.

Nice find. Answers alot of questions
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#83 OFFLINE   MyDTV

MyDTV

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

I recently added an HR34 and a Samsung 6420 to my DTV setup. I also have several HR24's and everything is on the whole home network. In addition to some the issues discussed in the forum, I have also noticed that when I am viewing directly connected to the HR34, the playlist will include the playlists of the HR24's I have. But I am on the samsung using RVU, if I pull up the playlist it will only show the playlist on the HR34, not the playlists from the other HR24's. I don't know if there is something I don't have set correctly, or if this is a limitation of RVU. If this is a current limitation of RVU, does anyone know if there are future plans to allow RVU to see other connected playlists.

#84 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

I recently added an HR34 and a Samsung 6420 to my DTV setup. I also have several HR24's and everything is on the whole home network. In addition to some the issues discussed in the forum, I have also noticed that when I am viewing directly connected to the HR34, the playlist will include the playlists of the HR24's I have. But I am on the samsung using RVU, if I pull up the playlist it will only show the playlist on the HR34, not the playlists from the other HR24's. I don't know if there is something I don't have set correctly, or if this is a limitation of RVU. If this is a current limitation of RVU, does anyone know if there are future plans to allow RVU to see other connected playlists.

I believe this is a limitation of RVU and I don't think there is anything they can do about it. The way whole homde DVR works is the HR24 actually plays the program and sends it out over the DECA network to whatever receiver you are watching the program on. The HR34 can understand this so you are able to watch the content on it. However your Samsung TV can not understand the information that the HR24 is sending out, so it can't access it. The HR34 can send it's recordings out as a whole home signal that the H2x receivers/HR2x DVRs can understand, or it can send the recordings out as a RVU stream that your TV understands so you can watch it's recordings either way.

I don't believe there are any plans to upgrade the HR2x DVRs to support RVU. I don't know if their hardware could support it if they even wanted to add the feature.

The only way to get around this would be to have mutliple HR34s, but I'm not sure if the Samsung TVs can access multiple RVU servers or not so I'm not 100% sure if this would work either.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#85 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

RVU TV sets will only access recorded content on the HR34 receiver not any other HDDVR since they do not have the RVU hardware/software in them.
Winston Churchill

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#86 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

My PN51D8000 had a new software update this week. I was hoping to see RVU added but it wasn't, oh well.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#87 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

Any improvements with 001028?

#88 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

DO NOT UPGRADE to 1028!

http://www.dbstalk.c...796#post2985796
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#89 OFFLINE   dogbreath

dogbreath

AllStar

• Registered
  • 112 posts
  • LocationFranklin, North Carolina

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

Got 0026 on UN55D8000. Still no mention of RVU.

#90 OFFLINE   Jax DirecTV User

Jax DirecTV User

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

I have been trying to get my Samsung UN55D6050TF to see the RVU server on the HR34 for over a week. I have daily calls with the DirecTV case managment group and no one seems to know what to do.

I called the DirecTV rep to see if I was authorized for RVU and she said that there was no special autorization needed, just the whole home feature enabled.

After the call all of the sudden the "Add a Client" menu option showed up, however, when I perform the add a client function and my TVs can still not see the HR34.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jerry

I have 2 of these TVs. One has firmware 1026 and the other 1028.1.

Edited by Jax DirecTV User, 28 March 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#91 OFFLINE   worker

worker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

On a UNxxD6050TF Samsung would have to enable this feature in the firmware. It is not currently enabled despite what the firmware release notes say. I doubt that they will be enabling it anytime soon or ever for these models. I have the UN46D6050TF and it is not RVU enabled even though the relese notes for the firmware indicate it is. I also have an email from Samsung claiming this model supports RVU but obviously they don't have a clue about their own product.

#92 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,598 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

I have 2 of these TVs. One has firmware 1026 and the other 1028.1.

Samsung broke RVU in the latest 1028 update ....
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203334
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#93 OFFLINE   63thk

63thk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Is there a list of the TVs that work with the HR34? I have Samsung PN51D6500

#94 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Is there a list of the TVs that work with the HR34? I have Samsung PN51D6500

Currently capable of RVU viewing
Samsung D6000, D6400, D6420

Future TV Sets for RVU capabilities
All 2012 Samsung Smart TV sets
Specific model numbers are available on post #81 of this thread

Edited by naijai, 14 April 2012 - 03:03 PM.

Winston Churchill

#95 OFFLINE   kram82

kram82

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Does anyone know specifically what to tell DirecTV to add to my account to add a RVU client? DirecTV says I need a RVU Client Device but I know based on what I've read I only need the RVU input on my Samsung D6000. I get all the way to the Add a Client but I need someone at DirecTV to "turn it on" in the system which several customer reps say they don't know how to do. If anyone know specifically what to tell them to "push" or "codes to use" I would be very grateful!

Thanks!

#96 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Does anyone know specifically what to tell DirecTV to add to my account to add a RVU client? DirecTV says I need a RVU Client Device but I know based on what I've read I only need the RVU input on my Samsung D6000. I get all the way to the Add a Client but I need someone at DirecTV to "turn it on" in the system which several customer reps say they don't know how to do. If anyone know specifically what to tell them to "push" or "codes to use" I would be very grateful!

Thanks!

Call and ask for HR34 Tech support. They should be able to help you.
Winston Churchill

#97 OFFLINE   bmmarly

bmmarly

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

I have a Direct TV HR34 and Samsung 40D6000 hooked up as a RVU.....works like a charm (other than remote response slow, a well known issue).

I see here, as in other forums, several posts indicating ALL 2012 Smart TVs will have RVU capability....that was my understanding too from CES.

Now I'm not so sure! Just bought a UN46ES6100, hooked up, made sure has latest firmware, go to sources menu, no RVU! Strange, can't figure it out.

Get on Samsung chat, agent seems to research thoroughly and comes back and says their internal database indicates only these 2012 models have RVU capability; EH5300, ES6500, ES6600! My new 2012 Smart TV is NOT RVU capable! Of course he won't send me any document to validate it.

Anyone else heard/experienced this issue...I think the agent may be correct? And of course the Samsung website is weeks/months behind the eight ball as always, so no use at all!

#98 OFFLINE   bmmarly

bmmarly

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

Just received this from Samsung:

We understand you would like to know the TV model numbers compatible with RVU feature.

The compatible models with RVU feature are:

UN**EH5300, UN**ES6500, UN55ES6600 with any firmware version installed on them.

UN**D6000, UN**D6400, UN**D6420 with 1025.0 firmware version installed on them.

#99 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Wow, hopefully the 6100 gets RVU with a firmware update. Seems really crappy for them to say all 2012 Smart TVs will have RVU and then not follow through on it. The 6100 is definitely marketed as a Smart TV.

It might be worth questioning them on it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#100 OFFLINE   bmmarly

bmmarly

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

From my exchange with Samsung, I do not think so. It looks like the models I listed above will be the only 2012 TVs that are RVU capable with Direct TV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...