Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung RVU TVs - Issues and Discussion (Q1-2012)

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

From my exchange with Samsung, I do not think so. It looks like the models I listed above will be the only 2012 TVs that are RVU capable with Direct TV.

I would be complaining then if I had bought that TV. Samsung's press release clearly said all 2012 Smart TVs (third paragraph).

http://www.samsung.c...?news_seq=20087
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   bmmarly

bmmarly

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

So, I hook up my new ES6500, update firmware, check sources, guess what....no RVU source!!

Call Samsung support, get escalated to RVU Engineering. After a short wait to research, he comes back with a NEW "definitive" statement from Samsung on 2012 Smart TV/RVU capability:

"None of the 2012 Smart TVs have RVU capable firmware at this time. We are working on it and will roll it out to ALL 2012 Smart TVs at some point in the future, but there is no information on when that might be"

How hard can this be! What a cluster in terms of communications of product features.

So now it's a wait and see on new firmware!

#103 OFFLINE   WindyCityGuy

WindyCityGuy

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

I read the Samsung/DirecTV press release regarding the fact that all 2012 Samsung SmartTVs would be RVU-enabled and therefore purchased the UN46ES6100. DirecTV spent SEVEN hours trying to install the new Home Media Center and RVU for the Samsung TV to no avail. I find it odd that several 2011 models are ready for RVU and not the 2012 models. I bought an HDTV antenna for the TV since I never ordered a set-top box (since RVU is supposed to make that obsolete....as least in theory). Bummer.

#104 OFFLINE   joshadam84

joshadam84

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Here's a link on Samsung's website stating what the firmware version has to be in order to use the RVU feature with DIRECTV (which I imagine a lot of you already knew or mentioned previously in this thread).

http://support-us.sa...de=&session_id=

It states it must be 1025.0 or higher on the TV. You can check out the highest available firmware version of a specific TV on their website. Once you're on the specific TV model, click on the support section on top right of the page, then select "Firmware" under "Manuals and Downloads."

I was planning on buying one of the 2012 Smart TV's as well from Samsung; however, looks like I'll be waiting until I see a higher available firmware version.

#105 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

Actually, it seems to me that some programmer at Samsung must have screwed up the firmware and broke RVU. It doesn't work on last years TVs if they upgraded to the 1028 firmware, and I'm assuming this years TVs must have the same or similar firmware with the RVU code broken in it too. I imagine they will eventually get it figured out and send out a new firmware to all of the TVs to fix it. How long that might take is anyones guess though.

I have to believe they will get to it eventually though, or they could end up with a class action lawsuit coming after them for false advertising.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#106 OFFLINE   bmmarly

bmmarly

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

I have a 40D6000 with 1028 firmware and the RVU functionality works flawlessly....remote response a little slow, other than that it's perfect

#107 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Wow, hopefully the 6100 gets RVU with a firmware update. Seems really crappy for them to say all 2012 Smart TVs will have RVU and then not follow through on it. The 6100 is definitely marketed as a Smart TV.

It might be worth questioning them on it.

Yes the 6100 is marketed as smart tv, so i am hoping they do not fail on sending an update for the tv to enable RVU on it soon. If not i is gonna :flaiming
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#108 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

For me, the failure of an RVU TV to be able to see the playlist of all my HR's in my house is a nonstarter. What good is an RVU enabled TV if I'm not able to use the whole-home feature with it? Am I missing something?

#109 OFFLINE   joshadam84

joshadam84

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

I just noticed on Samsung's website that there is new firmware available as of 05/15/2012 for the following tvs: EH4500 / EH5300 / ES60-70

It specifically states, "This firmware update will improve the following: - Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices. - Improves picture quality."

Anyone have a 2012 Samsung Smart TV with one of the above model numbers and HR34 to verify that DLNA works as it should?

http://www.samsung.c.../UN46ES6500FXZA

This is under: Manuals and Downloads, Firmware, Upgrade File(USB Type) (Firmware)

#110 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

For me, the failure of an RVU TV to be able to see the playlist of all my HR's in my house is a nonstarter. What good is an RVU enabled TV if I'm not able to use the whole-home feature with it? Am I missing something?

MRV and RVU are not the same thing. The HR2x receivers are not RVU servers, and never will be so it is impossible for them to send out an RVU signal. Without an RVU signal from them your TV cannot work with them. The only RVU server out right now is the HR34 so you can only view recordings from it.

If you want to be able to watch certain recordings on the RVU TV you need to make sure they are being recorded on the HR34.
-by Jack Handy

#111 OFFLINE   bmmarly

bmmarly

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

RMSko, I initially felt the way you do and was disappointed that RVU TVs would only have access to the HR34 playlist. Having had my HR34 and 3 x RVU TVs for a few weeks now, it's simply a non issue. With 5 tuners on the HR34, I never have recording or playing conflicts, and simply make sure all recorded TV takes place on the HR34. Of course I can still set recordings on the HR34 from any TV, RVU or not, so there's no hardship there.

No question there are still some bugs in the HR34/RVU function....I have to reboot the HR34 a couple of times a week when one or more RVU freezes. Other than that, it's awesome and the RVUs only seeing HR34 playlist isn't a factor at all (at least for me).

#112 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

Having had my HR34 and 3 x RVU TVs for a few weeks now, it's simply a non issue.

Glad to hear it's working well for you so far.

Have you happened to ask DirecTV if there is any charge if you were to add another RVU TV? Many of us are wondering if they will continue to charge the $6/month fee for additional RVU TVs past 3 or not, since you can only use 3 at a time max.
-by Jack Handy

#113 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

Many of us are wondering if they will continue to charge the $6/month fee for additional RVU TVs past 3 or not, since you can only use 3 at a time max.

Interested in the answer to that also. I also wonder if their RVU client will be a leased item like regular STB's or will they consider that a purchased/owned item like AM21's or nomad?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#114 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hi All:

Does anyone with a Samsung RVU tv also happen to have an AM21N OTA receiver attached to their HR34 main receiver? When remote tv's required the use of an H25 receiver, I understood that OTA channels from the AM21N (attached to the main HR34) were not passed to the remote tv (presumably because the H25 tuner was being utilized by the remote tv). With the removal of that H25 tuner from the remote tv setup, I was wondering if the OTA channels from the AM21N might now be passed to the Samsung RVU tv along with the satellite-delivered channels in the same way the OTA channels are blended into the main (HR34) on-screen lineup, since one of the HR34's tuners is now being accessed by the RVU tv. Thanks in advance for any responses/comments.

#115 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi All:

Does anyone with a Samsung RVU tv also happen to have an AM21N OTA receiver attached to their HR34 main receiver? When remote tv's required the use of an H25 receiver, I understood that OTA channels from the AM21N (attached to the main HR34) were not passed to the remote tv (presumably because the H25 tuner was being utilized by the remote tv). With the removal of that H25 tuner from the remote tv setup, I was wondering if the OTA channels from the AM21N might now be passed to the Samsung RVU tv along with the satellite-delivered channels in the same way the OTA channels are blended into the main (HR34) on-screen lineup, since one of the HR34's tuners is now being accessed by the RVU tv. Thanks in advance for any responses/comments.

I think what you're asking is will RVU clients be able to access OTA channels from a HR34 that has an AM21/AM21N attached. If that's the question then the answer is yes they will be able to access OTA channels via the HR34. But remember you're still limited to the 5 concurent tuner rule, so if both AM21 tuners are being used then you can use only 3 DBS tuners in the HR34.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#116 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

Thank you, RAD, that's excellent news. Planning to connect an existing second tv (non-Samsung-RVU) to my DirecTV receiver, as well as a future third tv, and would really need to access the OTA channels on all tv's. The 3 DBS tuner limitation is not a problem. Will plan to upgrade to an HR34 once the RVU client boxes are released.

#117 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

I have a question as to the networking involved with an RVU enabled TV. Currently, I have whole home DVR connected just through ethernet (I have no desire to add DECA) and it works fine, as long as both receivers are connected to the same router. However, if I connect them each to a different router, they can't see each other. Is this the same with an RVU TV? Do they have to be connected to the same router/network as the HR34? Thanks.

#118 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

I have a question as to the networking involved with an RVU enabled TV. Currently, I have whole home DVR connected just through ethernet (I have no desire to add DECA) and it works fine, as long as both receivers are connected to the same router. However, if I connect them each to a different router, they can't see each other. Is this the same with an RVU TV? Do they have to be connected to the same router/network as the HR34? Thanks.

Yes, any device that wishes to communicate needs to be on the same network. There are advanced scenarios to use multiple routers, and different subnets, but you would need a solid understanding of networking.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#119 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

I have a basic understanding, but I'd probably just put all DirecTV units on the same switch and call it good. Neat idea, can't wait to see where the technology goes with this.

#120 OFFLINE   sarhaynes

sarhaynes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

I just purchased a Samsung UN32EH5300 and despite the fact the screen was cracked when it arrived, I was not able to get it to connect to my HR34 via the built in wireless. I read somewhere that in order to use RVU, you have to use a wired connection. This kind of defeats the purpose of the reason I bought the TV in the first place. If I could run wires to the thing, I would have just gotten another HD box (as it was whole lot cheaper than the HR34!). Besides, I don't even think this TV has a wired Ethernet port on it!
I spoke with Samsung support before I purchased the TV and they told me the UNxxEH5300 series TV were RVU enabled.
I'm currently sending the TV back to get one without a cracked glass. Any help would be appreciated.
I'll let you know what happens once I get back a new TV.

HR34-700 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR605 to Philips 42" Plasma (1080i)
HR24-500 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Magnavox 32" LCD (1080i)

C31-700 to 32" Samsung Smart TV (1080p)
H21-200 HDMI to Vizio 32" LED LCD (1080p)
H23-600 HDMI to LG 26" LED LCD (1080p)
Whole-Home DVR Enabled (Wireless Networked via Bridge)
D12-300 to Ancient Magnavox CRT
Sat-Go
Charlottesville, VA - Still waiting for Locals via Sat

spam firewall