Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung RVU TVs - Issues and Discussion (Q1-2012)

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   haddock

haddock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

OK. So my HR34 finally got installed, so ready to try out the Samsung RVU along with the C31s I had installed by D*.

I'm happy to see that all my Samsungs have the grayed out RVU option after updating the firmware to 1023 earlier, so that's a step in the right direction.

I do though still need to provide a wired ethernet connection to the TV I'm planning to test the RVU client on. To do this I'm planning to use a DECA adapter on the coax feed that is at that TV location.

Question... does that DECA adapter have to have its own power? My installer seemed to imply there was a 'server' DECA that was powered, which is the unit installed to mix in the ethernet connection to the coax network... and a 'client' DECA that would go at the individual device, but this isn't powered. Is this right?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   haddock

haddock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

OK. So my HR34 finally got installed, so ready to try out the Samsung RVU along with the C31s I had installed by D*.

I'm happy to see that all my Samsungs have the grayed out RVU option after updating the firmware to 1023 earlier, so that's a step in the right direction.

I do though still need to provide a wired ethernet connection to the TV I'm planning to test the RVU client on. To do this I'm planning to use a DECA adapter on the coax feed that is at that TV location.

Question... does that DECA adapter have to have its own power? My installer seemed to imply there was a 'server' DECA that was powered, which is the unit installed to mix in the ethernet connection to the coax network... and a 'client' DECA that would go at the individual device, but this isn't powered. Is this right?

Should have mentioned that I'm guessing the DECA at the Samsung needs external power. Guessing the installer was thinking in terms of the DECA connecting to the back of an H* box, where I'd assume it could draw power from. Since the Samsung TV doesn't provide such power on the coax connector, the DECA would need a separate power supply. Unfortunately, while I have 2 space DECA adapters, I don't have a power supply for them, so will have to order one and wait for it to arrive before I can try the Samsung RVU.

#163 OFFLINE   sarhaynes

sarhaynes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

It seems that Samsung is not quite ready yet.
They sent me a DECA over the weekend, but did not send the power supply for it. The installers came out this morning and we got it hooked up, but every time we selected the RVU option on the Samsung, all we got was a screen that said "This location not authorized." The techs called in to try to get the TV authorized.
It seems that besides the firmware there is some application in the Samsung Apps that needs to be downloaded. I was not able to find this application.
Anyone else have any ideas on when or how to solve this issue.

HR34-700 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR605 to Philips 42" Plasma (1080i)
HR24-500 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Magnavox 32" LCD (1080i)

C31-700 to 32" Samsung Smart TV (1080p)
H21-200 HDMI to Vizio 32" LED LCD (1080p)
H23-600 HDMI to LG 26" LED LCD (1080p)
Whole-Home DVR Enabled (Wireless Networked via Bridge)
D12-300 to Ancient Magnavox CRT
Sat-Go
Charlottesville, VA - Still waiting for Locals via Sat

#164 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Did they go to the Genie/HR34 and go into the menu and select "Add a Client" under the whole home menu before trying the TV setup?
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#165 OFFLINE   sarhaynes

sarhaynes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Did they go to the Genie/HR34 and go into the menu and select "Add a Client" under the whole home menu before trying the TV setup?

Yes. No sequence of events could ever get us to the PIN entry screen. All we ever got is "This location is not authorized".

HR34-700 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR605 to Philips 42" Plasma (1080i)
HR24-500 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Magnavox 32" LCD (1080i)

C31-700 to 32" Samsung Smart TV (1080p)
H21-200 HDMI to Vizio 32" LED LCD (1080p)
H23-600 HDMI to LG 26" LED LCD (1080p)
Whole-Home DVR Enabled (Wireless Networked via Bridge)
D12-300 to Ancient Magnavox CRT
Sat-Go
Charlottesville, VA - Still waiting for Locals via Sat

#166 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,773 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Yes. No sequence of events could ever get us to the PIN entry screen. All we ever got is "This location is not authorized".

If you logon to your DIRECTV account, under the "My Services" tab there's an "Additional TV" section, does that show it's active with X number of clients (at $6 each)?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#167 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

I had the exact same issue when they tried to authorize my second c31. They put me on hold and worked on it for a bit then came back and said to try again and it worked, so apparently there is a way to rectify it. I have no idea what they did, but I suggest you keep calling back and hope you get someone who can do it, as I did. I do seem to remember a message coming up that said something like "Too many locations authorized" or some-such if that helps?

To me it almost sounds like they didn't input the serial number or MAC ID in correctly so it's not registering it as an "authorized location". That's my 2/100ths of a dollar anyway. ;)
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

spam firewall