Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM16 Frustration

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

I recently installed a Swm16 in preparation for an HR34. I have SWM8 along with an HR20, and HR22 and two HR24's. The HR34 is going to exceed the eight tuner limit of the SWM8. As a result of wanting to keep my OTA diplexed into the SWM8, my plan was to attach the SWM16 to the Slimline 5 dish and output the legacy ports of the SWM16 into the SWM8 and use the SWM16 exclusively for the HR34 (overkill I know but due to eventually wanting to add additional DVR's I opted to get the SWM16 as opposed to another SWM8). That would leave six tuners on the SWM8 and five tuners on the SWM16. I installed the SWM16 and connected the SWM8 and all was good, all DVR's functioned like nothing had changed.

In preparation for the HR34 and to test the SWM16 I moved one HR24 to to the SWM16, that worked just like I planned and everything functioned well. In my infinite wisdom and because I like to tinker, I decided that it would be good to test both output ports of the SWM16. When I did that the second HR24 would not sense the SWM module. No matter which HR24 I attached to either output port, only the first DVR attached would get the SWM recognized. I initiated the Satellite Setup on the non-functioning DVR (freezes and searching for signal) and immediately was presented with the error of "no SWM sensed".

Any ideas on what what the problem may be or what I should try next?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

You might want to start off with a wiring diagram so people know how it's all laid out right now.

Are you using the power through the SWM 16 power port or through the line outs?

#3 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

You might want to start off with a wiring diagram so people know how it's all laid out right now.

Are you using the power through the SWM 16 power port or through the line outs?

I am using the power port with the HR24 500's connected to each of the line out ports.

#4 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

1. wiring diagram please
2. I assume that you're using a splitter somewhere, is it green label?
3. it sounds like you're powering via the SWM1 port on the SWM16

if there's a splitter between the SWM16 and the PI make sure that the PI is going to the red port (ie the power passing port)

#5 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

1. wiring diagram please
2. I assume that you're using a splitter somewhere, is it green label?
3. it sounds like you're powering via the SWM1 port on the SWM16

if there's a splitter between the SWM16 and the PI make sure that the PI is going to the red port (ie the power passing port)

There is no splitter and I will attempt to put a diagram together but to put it simply until then, the dish is connected via four coax cables to the SWM16.

The legacy outputs of the SWM16 are connected to the input ports of the SWM8.

The HR22 and HR20 are connected to the output ports of the SWM8 (not using the power port), there is also an OTA input into the antenna port of the SWM8 and then diplexed back out at the DVR's. These boxes appear to have no issues.

There are two HR24's are attached to the two output ports of the SWM16 (also not using the power port). there is no antenna diplexed into the SWM16 output coax's, I have a separate antenna coax into the AM21's that are connected to the HR24's.

Only one of the SWM16 output ports appears to be usable at a time. Both ports work but only if there is just one of the HR24's attached.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

There are two HR24's are attached to the two output ports of the SWM16 (also not using the power port). there is no antenna diplexed into the SWM16 output coax's, I have a separate antenna coax into the AM21's that are connected to the HR24's.

Only one of the SWM16 output ports appears to be usable at a time. Both ports work but only if there is just one of the HR24's attached.

Guess it will take a diagram/layout to know what's going on here. :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

I am using the power port with the HR24 500's connected to each of the line out ports.

Do you have two Power injectors, one for the Swim16 and one for the SWiM8. Power injectors need to be connected to the output 1 port or the dedicated power port. If the PI is in line with one of the receivers. it must be on output port 1. It won't work if on port 2.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

As a result of wanting to keep my OTA diplexed into the SWM8, my plan was to attach the SWM16 to the Slimline 5 dish and output the legacy ports of the SWM16 into the SWM8 and use the SWM16 exclusively for the HR34 (overkill I know but due to eventually wanting to add additional DVR's I opted to get the SWM16 as opposed to another SWM8).

Cascading probably isn't the best way to go about this. I'd suggest two SWM8s in parallel.

Another option would be to just use a SWM16 and put a BSF on the satellite input to the HR34.

I guess it comes down to how you're going to network the HR34.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Cascading probably isn't the best way to go about this. I'd suggest two SWM8s in parallel.

Another option would be to just use a SWM16 and put a BSF on the satellite input to the HR34.

I guess it comes down to how you're going to network the HR34.

"Cascading" off a SWiM-16 isn't a problem, and would end up "better" than using splitters to run two SWM8s in parallel.

Using a BSF filter in the SAT input of a HR34, ISN'T a good idea either, as this would reflect the DECA signal straight back into it without any attenuated.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

Guess it will take a diagram/layout to know what's going on here. :confused:

I'm not very good (understatement) at this stuff but maybe this will help explain what I have. I have attached a rudimentary diagram.

I can only get one of the HR24 500's to work at a time, the picture either freezes or I get a searching for signal on whichever HR24 I connect second.

Attached Files

#11 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

On the SWM16 you need you power it via SWM1 or the PWR port

on the SWM8 it can be powered via ether the SWM1 port or the Leg#3 port
the diagram doesn't tell us which ports things are connected to

the line of 3 ports for the SWM16 are SWM1/PWR/SWM2, and for the SWM8 SWM1/OTA/SWM2

on the SWM16 the PWR port is only for powering it when you for some reason (there are some out there) don't want to power via SWM1

on the SWM16, SWM1 and SWM2 are each a set of 8 tuner channels

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

I choose to power mine via the PWR port because I have the extra line and then there is no chance I'll swap the wires and electrocute the receiver.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

I opted to power via SWM1 because I plan to use the extra coax to do OTA later

and it puts the PI near the UPS for my DVR/TV/360/ect

#14 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

On the SWM16 you need you power it via SWM1 or the PWR port

on the SWM8 it can be powered via ether the SWM1 port or the Leg#3 port
the diagram doesn't tell us which ports things are connected to

the line of 3 ports for the SWM16 are SWM1/PWR/SWM2, and for the SWM8 SWM1/OTA/SWM2

on the SWM16 the PWR port is only for powering it when you for some reason (there are some out there) don't want to power via SWM1

on the SWM16, SWM1 and SWM2 are each a set of 8 tuner channels

I took the same approach as Stuart. The SWM16 is powered by the Power Port and the SWM8 is powered by the SWM1 port.

#15 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

ok
and its swm1 going to one HR24 and SWM2 going to the other correct?

btw the SWM8 can be powered via the LEG3 port, Got that info from VOS

#16 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

ok
and its swm1 going to one HR24 and SWM2 going to the other correct?

btw the SWM8 can be powered via the LEG3 port, Got that info from VOS

That is correct and either port works if only one HR24 is connected.

Thanks for the information on the SWM8 power (I assume by LEG3 you are referring to the port labeled OTA?). I don't think I will have occasion to use it but all information is good information

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

I took the same approach as Stuart. The SWM16 is powered by the Power Port and the SWM8 is powered by the SWM1 port.

While the drawing isn't the best, "it works", but what or how are you trying to connect a second DVR/receiver after you have the first connected?
You do need a splitter to feed more than one receiver on an output.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the information on the SWM8 power (I assume by LEG3 you are referring to the port labeled OTA?). I don't think I will have occasion to use it but all information is good information

Not OTA but the #3 legacy port.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

While the drawing isn't the best, "it works", but what or how are you trying to connect a second DVR/receiver after you have the first connected?
You do need a splitter to feed more than one receiver on an output.

I am trying to connect one HR24 to SWM1 output on the SWM16 and another HR24 on SWM2 on the same SWM16. There is only one HR24 per SWM16 output, so only two tuners per output.

Thanks for the clarification re the legacy port power option, I did have a misunderstanding of what Dark said.

#20 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

I might be off just due to how odd it sounded to me when I read it but the LEG#3 port (the 3rd legacy out port) (but that's only for the SWM8 because the SWM16 has a power only port)

It had something to do with an issue caused by powering the SWM8 from to close and thus messing with the RF when SWM1 was used

VOS had a pic of it somewhere showing this
I figured I'd pass the info along as you're powering the SWM16 via the PWR port and from reading the LEG3 port on the SWM8 can serve the same function

btw sorry for my abbreviations
I've been referring to the legacy out ports as LEG1-4 (or 1-3 if talking about a SWM8)
and the 2 SWM ports as SWM1 and SWM2

Protected By... spam firewall...And...