Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-700 - Upside-down triangle LEDs

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wilhite

Wilhite

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

HR20-700
External 2GB EVDS drive that was put in service in August 2010.

I've read through several of the threads on here regarding the problem and it appears that most of them are pointing to a bad drive.

Two questions:

• Is there anything else that the LED error could be pointing to?
  • If I decide to delete everything and format the drive, will that end up fixing the issue or am I looking at a drive that is toast?

I would hate to think that the useful life of a drive is 16 months in one of these things.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

It's very likely there's a drive issue.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Wilhite

Wilhite

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

It's very likely there's a drive issue.

But is there anything else that it could be?

DirecTV went to the trouble of programming in the code that makes the LEDs flash. Was it just to indicate drive errors or errors in general or is that an unknown that nobody has found out and that they aren't telling us.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

It "could" be a lot of things I suppose. There is no external documentation about the LED triangle. Most likely according to our testing it is the drive.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

Did you try booting the machine on the original drive with the eSATA disconnected?

Before you delete everything you might want to try the drive copying that is described on this forum. That way you may be able to save your series lists and recordings. Maybe just in part but at least it is worth a try before losing everything. Of course it would require another drive. I think there is a routine to check the drive as well. Search here for that. some sort of keypresses during bootup that gets you to a drive check routine.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

HR20-700
External 2GB EVDS drive that was put in service in August 2010.

I've read through several of the threads on here regarding the problem and it appears that most of them are pointing to a bad drive.

Two questions:

• Is there anything else that the LED error could be pointing to?
  • If I decide to delete everything and format the drive, will that end up fixing the issue or am I looking at a drive that is toast?

I would hate to think that the useful life of a drive is 16 months in one of these things.

Have you got another HDD you could try on the HR? I had those same LED triangles once, but I don't remember what happened. I've been using EVDS and EADS HDDs for a lot longer than 16 months, but...

If you take out the EVDS drive from the enclosure (or whatever you're using) and put a different HDD in and the triangle goes away, it might be the HDD, but if you put the EVDS back in and don't see the triangle of lights again that wouldn't surprise me. Can't remember what I did, but I don't think I replaced either the HDD or the HR. I've never had a WD HDD go bad on me. Had an overly noisy EVDS once, but I returned it immediately.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,984 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

But is there anything else that it could be?

DirecTV went to the trouble of programming in the code that makes the LEDs flash. Was it just to indicate drive errors or errors in general or is that an unknown that nobody has found out and that they aren't telling us.

I had it happen a couple times with mine over the years. Very scary. I just unplugged the power for 15 min and it came back fine both times.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

I had it happen a couple times with mine over the years. Very scary. I just unplugged the power for 15 min and it came back fine both times.

Didn't we discuss that at one time?

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Wilhite

Wilhite

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Good points all. I'll probably just disconnect the external drive for a day or two and see what happens. If I remember correctly, I can delete everything on the internal drive and do some recording on it for testing purposes. If that goes ok, I will probably try the diagnostic route and see if that can find any issues on the external drive. I don't have an extra drive hanging around and, with the cost of drives right now, would rather not make the investment.

The issue occurred at least 3 times yesterday. No issues up until then. (I know that there are reboots because I turn off the LEDs.) Just seems strange that it happened all of a sudden. I'm really hoping that the OS is hitting a bad spot on the drive and that the diagnostics and corrective actions will resolve it.

If anyone else has any other suggestions or experience, please chime in.

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

I get that occasionally on my HR20-700 as well, maybe once or twice a year. I have never been able to determine what it was and it just keeps chugging along, and that is with several different eSATA drives connected to it over the last few years.

#11 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,984 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Didn't we discuss that at one time?

Rich

I am sure the first time I saw it I came here to ask about it.

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

I am sure the first time I saw it I came here to ask about it.

And I'm pretty sure we talked about it. If my rememory was just better..... :lol:

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Wilhite

Wilhite

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

I started the scan of the external drive last night. When I looked later, there were 11 "problems" found with 10 of them fixed.

Extrapolating the time required, it looks like a 2TB drive that's 61% full will take about 24 hours to do a scan & fix on it.

I'll report back in a day or two as far as whether there was any success or not.

#14 OFFLINE   Wilhite

Wilhite

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

Well, after trying several different items without success, I'm thinking that the drive has issues that are affecting the performance of the unit. I've had to scan the entire drive for errors again. It found some, fixed some.

So, the next question that I have - If I do a clear everything on the drive, will the OS be smart enough to go in and mark the bad spots so that they won't be used in the future? Or do I cut bait and hope that I purchased this drive with a card that extends the warranty for another year?

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

Well, after trying several different items without success, I'm thinking that the drive has issues that are affecting the performance of the unit. I've had to scan the entire drive for errors again. It found some, fixed some.

So, the next question that I have - If I do a clear everything on the drive, will the OS be smart enough to go in and mark the bad spots so that they won't be used in the future? Or do I cut bait and hope that I purchased this drive with a card that extends the warranty for another year?

You might have a five year replacement warranty on the EVDS. It's certainly more than 16 months.

I really have serious doubts about the HDD being the problem. The EVDS is just a good HDD. And some of us that have answered your thread are not concerned about the triangle/s.

If you read CCarncross's reply on this thread, he's not concerned about about his HDDs and the triangles. Never known him to be wrong. And he knows HDDs.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Wilhite

Wilhite

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

The latest scan is 5% finished. 434 errors found; 378 fixed.

Each time I've done a menu restart of the unit with the external drive attached since my original post, it has gone to the receiver self check and then gone into a complete scan of the drive. Since it's a 2TB drive, that's taking a day every time. When I ran it for a while with the internal drive, things appeared to work ok.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the drive isn't working properly.

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

Each time I've done a menu restart of the unit with the external drive attached since my original post, it has gone to the receiver self check and then gone into a complete scan of the drive. Since it's a 2TB drive, that's taking a day every time. When I ran it for a while with the internal drive, things appeared to work ok.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the drive isn't working properly.

You might want to contact P Smith and find out how to diagnose and fix that HDD if that is really the problem.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

I would agree. As soon as I start getting any bad sectors or scan errors from a drive, I am backing it up and replacing it. They dont magically fix themselves. In my experiences over the years with HDD's, bad sectors are followed by more bad sectors, and so on.

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

Same mantra:

Check the drive on PC - use MHDD (self bootable CD) or Victoria under Windows.
Get SMART, run Scan with Remap=ON, get SMART again, post both SMART tables here for a verdict about it health.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...