Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wired CCK Not Orderable from DirecTV?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

On the DirecTV website it looks like you can order the wireless CCK without a truck roll but not the wired CCK? Seems to me that a wired CCK is easier for the avereage person to install than a wireless CCK. I was considering switching to supported WHDVR mode from unsupported (have been runnning fine over my wired home network since just after the beta ended). However, since all my equipment, both DirecTV and home network, is in a single wiring closet I don't need or want the wireless CCK just the wired CCK. All my equipment has been self installed except for the dish on the roof. The last thing I want is for some tech to have to come into my house and touch my wiring setup. What is DirecTV's thinking on this?
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

http://support.direc...etail/a_id/2993

Choose the option for self-installation.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

If you don't mind ebay, you can get the wired CCK for around $20. Just search for BB DECA.

#4 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

That's exactly the issue Stuart. That option will ONLY ship the wireless CCK. That is what prompted my question.
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#5 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

If you don't mind ebay, you can get the wired CCK for around $20. Just search for BB DECA.

Yes, I had seen them on ebay and that is most likely the route I will eventually take. I was trying to understand why DirecTV itself was only offering the wirless CCK for the self install option. Seems odd to me.
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#6 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

Yes, I had seen them on ebay and that is most likely the route I will eventually take. I was trying to understand why DirecTV itself was only offering the wirless CCK for the self install option. Seems odd to me.

The wireless CCK can be installed inline at any receiver location (assumes SWiM). So it is truly capable of being self-installed.

The wired CCK needs its own port on a splitter. To install it at any receiver location, one might need a 2-way splitter and extra coax.

#7 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,705 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

The wireless does either wired or wireless and does NOT require its own splitter splitter port to implement. It's in line design makes for an install anywhere deployment without the potential of having to add other pieces to deploy.

While the wired one requires some planning and possibly an extra bit of stems and pieces to implement.

I'll replace my wired one with a wired implementation of the wireless CCK at some point but right now its all working so...

Don "gotta run Double Jeopardy is on" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#8 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off and/or disable the wireless radio portion thru the settings interface?
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off and/or disable the wireless radio portion thru the settings interface?

Not through the settings, "but" you don't need to turn it on in the first place, if you're going wired.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

Not through the settings, "but" you don't need to turn it on in the first place, if you're going wired.

So if you connect it "wired" the wireless radio does not turn on?
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

So if you connect it "wired" the wireless radio does not turn on?

It stays in "listen mode".
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

Found out from another thread that you can turn the wireless section off thru the configuration GUI.
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

Found out from another thread that you can turn the wireless section off thru the configuration GUI.

Which is the same as not turning it on. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

Here is the direct link to the product:

http://support.direc...C9zWVJ6d2dOaw==

However if the system thinks you have one you cannot order another.

#15 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

Here is the direct link to the product:

http://support.direc...C9zWVJ6d2dOaw==

However if the system thinks you have one you cannot order another.

I'm not quite sure if this is necessarily true. I was able to order two of the wireless CCK from the DirecTV website (several weeks apart between orders).

Also, when logging into my account and trying to order another one (from the link above), there was no problem placing another order for the CCK. I just did not complete it though, as I had no need for another one. Nonetheless, it does seem possible to order more, if need be - Unless, of course, the system has not updated and still thinks that I don't have any.

EDIT: My mistake. As I had mentioned, I ordered the Wireless CCK. If you meant to say that you cannot order additional Broadband DECA CCK's (NOT Wireless) from the website, then I have no experience in that regard.

Edited by DBSNewbie, 04 January 2012 - 12:47 AM.

Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#16 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

Which is the same as not turning it on. :lol:

Not meaning to be argumentative but not necessarily. Having the radio on and "listening", which I believe is the default, is not the same as having the radio off. I wanted to make sure that it was possible to turn the radio off completely.
It is all moot anyway as since there is no $ advantage to me between buying the wireless CCK from DirecTV (the only option from them) or buying the wired CCK from ebay I will just get the wired version from ebay and not have to worry about it.
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:11 AM

Not meaning to be argumentative but not necessarily. Having the radio on and "listening", which I believe is the default, is not the same as having the radio off. I wanted to make sure that it was possible to turn the radio off completely.
It is all moot anyway as since there is no $ advantage to me between buying the wireless CCK from DirecTV (the only option from them) or buying the wired CCK from ebay I will just get the wired version from ebay and not have to worry about it.

To know if there is really any difference, between being disabled and only in listening mode, one would need to open up the unit and probe the pins. I think the main point is whether it is transmitting or not, which either leaving in the listening mode or disabling will do.
The wireless, whether used as wireless or not, does have the advantage of being connected in line to a receiver that the non wireless doesn't.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   pjneder

pjneder

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

I've been reading this with interest, since I want access to this service. I want to summarize what I have and then what I understand and what I infer from this thread. If I have it figured out correctly, then I will know how to proceed.

My setup:
1. I have a central wiring point in my laundry room.
2. The cables from the dish come to a multi-switch installed in the cabinet.
3. I use existing RG-6 to connect various rooms to the multi-switch. (no SWiM)
4. I have 2xCat5e to each room and a switch in the closet.
5. I run WIRED WHDVR service since the beta with no problems. (i.e. unsupported)

My understanding and inferences:
1. The WIRELESS self-install CCK device (the one we can order from DTV) needs at least one wire from the multi-switch.
2. The wireless CCK also has a wired ethernet connection.
3. The wired ethernet connection can connect to your existing 10/100/1000 home network at anypoint.
4. The CCK is configured via some interface. Is it via the DVR or web based from a PC?

Please verify my assertions or correct any mistakes. I'd really like to get the CCK, but I'd prefer to know what I'm getting.

Thanks,
Paul

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

My understanding and inferences:
1. The WIRELESS self-install CCK device (the one we can order from DTV) needs at least one wire from the multi-switch.
2. The wireless CCK also has a wired ethernet connection.
3. The wired ethernet connection can connect to your existing 10/100/1000 home network at anypoint.
4. The CCK is configured via some interface. Is it via the DVR or web based from a PC?

Please verify my assertions or correct any mistakes. I'd really like to get the CCK, but I'd prefer to know what I'm getting.

Thanks,
Paul

• It needs a coax connection when it is part of the coax networking [DECA]. It can be used as an ethernet to wireless bridge too, without a coax connection.
  • yes
  • yes
  • The receivers have a menu to set it up and there is a GUI in them for setting them up through a PC and the ethernet.

A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   pjneder

pjneder

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

• It needs a coax connection when it is part of the coax networking [DECA]. It can be used as an ethernet to wireless bridge too, without a coax connection.

VOS, thanks for the reply.

I must confess to still being confused based on your comment above.

I do NOT use DECA, since I happen to have pre-existing fixed Cat5 wiring.

So, I guess I'm still not understanding how this device actually "sits" in the network. Is it going to connect to my wireless AP then serve data to the DVR via ethernet? Does it use the single ethernet port to talk to the internet and to the DVR?

Thanks!

spam firewall