Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wired CCK Not Orderable from DirecTV?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

VOS, thanks for the reply.

I must confess to still being confused based on your comment above.

I do NOT use DECA, since I happen to have pre-existing fixed Cat5 wiring.

So, I guess I'm still not understanding how this device actually "sits" in the network. Is it going to connect to my wireless AP then serve data to the DVR via ethernet? Does it use the single ethernet port to talk to the internet and to the DVR?

Thanks!

Maybe this helps:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1311788989

since you already have Cat5, not quite sure why/what the wireless would be used for.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

Maybe this helps:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1311788989

since you already have Cat5, not quite sure why/what the wireless would be used for.

I agree with VOS. With ethernet connections already in use at each receiver, the CCK will be of little benefit.

Unless you opt to go the DECA route and abandon the Cat5 connections, the only other situation in which you will "need" the CCK is to bridge a DECA-Only receiver into you system, such as a H25, which has no ethernet input jack.
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#23 OFFLINE   pjneder

pjneder

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

OK, I see what you are saying now.

*To clarify why I might be in the weeds, I think that the CCK provides some sort of gateway/key/access to the Cinema content.

Maybe I have just been ignorant the whole time. If I understand this correctly now, then I would believe that since my DVR's have access to the internet via my wired network I have access to the Cinema content.

Do I already have access to all of the Cinema connection material? How would I know?

Thanks

Edited by pjneder, 04 January 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

Maybe I have just been ignorant the whole time. If I understand this correctly now, then I would believe that since my DVR's have access to the internet via my wired network I have access to the Cinema content.

Do I already have access to all of the Cinema connection material? How would I know?

Thanks

Not sure how to show you that "you do", but if you're hardwired to the internet, "then you do" [or at least a CCK ain't going to do anything more for you].
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

Thanks

Select to view the On Demand content (or just go to Channel 1000). If you see the content there, you got it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#26 OFFLINE   pjneder

pjneder

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

Ah-ha! So I've been wasting my time trying to solve a problem that didn't exist. I had seen some of the VOD stuff before, but I thought it was more from the dish.

The claim about 7000 items at no extra charge is a little dodgy, since many of them come only from premium services or PPV, but still there is a lot of stuff there to watch!

Thanks for all of the help and clarification. Maybe this thread will helps others who are confused about what the CCK does.

#27 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Ah-ha! So I've been wasting my time trying to solve a problem that didn't exist. I had seen some of the VOD stuff before, but I thought it was more from the dish.

The claim about 7000 items at no extra charge is a little dodgy, since many of them come only from premium services or PPV, but still there is a lot of stuff there to watch!

Thanks for all of the help and clarification. Maybe this thread will helps others who are confused about what the CCK does.

If you see any items listed on the VOD channels or DirecTV Cinema channel with a green checkmark, that means it has already been downloaded to your receiver and you can start to watch it immediately. All other VOD content needs to be downloaded first (or at least start downloading) before you can watch it.

- Merg

#28 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,705 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

The CCK is an adapter or coupler if you will that allows two way passage of Ethernet traffic through coax (DECA) to traditional cat{X} cabling and equipment.

Nothing more than that.

Don "just a man and a horse being hung out there" Bolton

Edited by lugnutathome, 04 January 2012 - 01:13 PM.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#29 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

Not meaning to be argumentative but not necessarily. Having the radio on and "listening", which I believe is the default, is not the same as having the radio off. I wanted to make sure that it was possible to turn the radio off completely.
It is all moot anyway as since there is no $ advantage to me between buying the wireless CCK from DirecTV (the only option from them) or buying the wired CCK from ebay I will just get the wired version from ebay and not have to worry about it.

How much is the wired unit on e-bay??

I just bought the wireless CCK from D* for $25

#30 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:45 AM

How much is the wired unit on e-bay??

I just bought the wireless CCK from D* for $25

Probably about the same. The wired works exactly the same as the wireless except that it must be hardwired. The wireless can work wired or wireless and also can work as a pass through in that it doesn't need its own private coax cable.

- Merg

spam firewall