Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advice for an HR20-100 with a noisy fan?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TimeShifter

TimeShifter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hey all:

I've tried using compressed air to blow out the dust, with no long-lasting luck. In that process, I inadvertently stopped the fan, so I know it's the fan, and not something else in chassis that's making the noise.

Any advice? Is replacing the fan possible? I'm hoping to avoid replacing the DVR through Directv as I'm no longer under contract.

Thx!

ChannelMaster 4228
Slimline --> SWM8
MacPro ---> EyeTV --> Airport Extreme
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~v
----- Harmony 670 ---IR---> HR20-100 (networked-cat5) --HDMI--> XtremeMac HDMI Switch --HDMI--> Mits 62" 1080P DLP
----- Harmony 670 ---IR---> HR20-100 (networked-cat5) --HDMI--> Vizio 37" LCD
----- Harmony 628 ---IR---> HR21-100 (networked-cat5) --HDMI--> Zenith 42" Plasma

All Digital. All HD. All the time.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

It would be technically possible to replace the fan if you owned it... but leased DVRs may not be opened.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hey all:

I've tried using compressed air to blow out the dust, with no long-lasting luck. In that process, I inadvertently stopped the fan, so I know it's the fan, and not something else in chassis that's making the noise.

Any advice? Is replacing the fan possible? I'm hoping to avoid replacing the DVR through Directv as I'm no longer under contract.

Thx!

Being under contract shouldn't make any difference. D* should replace the faulty (:lol::lol::lol::lol:) 20-100 without extending your contract.

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

It would be technically possible to replace the fan if you owned it... but leased DVRs may not be opened.

...or as my old English teacher used to say "You can, but you may not." :D

Yes, replacement of the unit should not incur a new two-year contract.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#5 OFFLINE   TimeShifter

TimeShifter

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hey All:

Thanks for the info! I'll give D* a call.

ChannelMaster 4228
Slimline --> SWM8
----- Harmony 670 ---IR---> HR20-100 (networked-cat5) --HDMI--> XtremeMac HDMI Switch --HDMI--> Mits 62" 1080P DLP
----- Harmony 628 ---IR---> HR21-100 (networked-cat5) --HDMI--> Zenith 42" Plasma

#6 OFFLINE   TimeShifter

TimeShifter

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

I emailed them, and here is the response. I'm reading this and thinking about the fact that I've been with Directv for 10 years, and doing the math on how much money I've given them. It's irritating and comical at the same time. :-)

"I'm sorry to hear that one of your HD DVR receivers is making a lot of noise. I understand that you'd like to have it replaced or upgraded.

I can see how important having the latest technology is to you. At DIRECTV, we want to keep our loyal customers and we certainly want to reward them by passing them great savings on equipment upgrades.

I see that you are eligible for a discounted equipment upgrade and we can give you an HD DVR for $149. This offer also includes $0 delivery and handling fee and $0 installation.

Additionally, please note that this is available for a limited time only and should you accept this offer, it will include a programming agreement of 2 years."

ChannelMaster 4228
Slimline --> SWM8

#7 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

Sign up for the Protection Plan and in 30 days you should be eligible for a free replacement. I also have one with a noisy fan and have the PP so I'll be doing the same.
DirecTV customer since 1994
DirecTV H23-600 0x462c
DirecTV HR20-100 (qty 4) 0x62c
DirecTV HR20-700 (qty 5) 0x62c
TiVo Series 3 Comcast

#8 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

Looks like they missed the point of your question. Your HR20 is already latest technology so you don't want an "upgrade" just a no commitment replacement. You might want to try again.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

Your HR20 is already latest technology ...

Except that it doesn't support 3D while the HR21->HR34 do in case that's a consideration for the future.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#10 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

Why not try a phone call to Directv?

#11 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

Looks like they missed the point of your question. Your HR20 is already latest technology so you don't want an "upgrade" just a no commitment replacement. You might want to try again.

The HR20 is hardly the "latest technology." That unit came out around 2005. When I tried to compare my old slow HR20 to my new FiOS Motorola DVR, forum members jumped all over me, saying it was not a valid comparison.

That e-mail response to the OP is not what I would have expected from DirecTV. The e-mail does say that DirecTV "wants to keep our loyal customers and we certainly want to reward them by passing them great savings on equipment upgrades."

I agree a phone call is in order.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

You would have been much better off calling. That way when they misunderstood what you wanted, you could have corrected them and not posted how ridiculous and comical this whole way you've been treated was. Pick up the phone and communicate like a real human being and not a texting robot. Don't be one of "those people".

spam firewall