Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2011-12 Season Ratings - Winter

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,523 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

Here's the third Monday of Winter, a night when a lot of extra viewers showed up:

Posted Image

CBS. You'll read in many of the TV news sites about Fox and NBC having successes for the night. Hmmm. CBS won the 10:00 with the total viewer tie-breaker. But the real truth for the night was the averages for the first two hours of prime time when CBS had all that competition:

Posted Image

ABC shows did well for the night and one has to take particular note that "Castle" at 10:00 is running well against "Hawaii Five-0".

Fox premiered "Alcatraz" offering what was really two episodes last night garnering only a slightly higher demo and about the same total viewers as did the premier of "Terra Nova" in the Fall. "Alcatraz" is a better show IMHO. Whether its scifi-twist police procedural plot will hold the audience following "House" remains to be seen. The problem is there were extra demo viewers watching live TV last night.

NBC really pulled in the older viewers with "Betty White's 90th." And a couple of million extra stuck around for "Brian Williams."

The CW. :shrug:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,523 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

Some Fox show premier ratings history for perspective:
  • 9/9/2008 "Fringe", 3.2/9 - 9.003 million
  • 10/4/2011 "Terra Nova", 3.1/8 - 9.22 million
  • 10/16/2012 "Alcatraz", 3.3/8 - 9.968 million

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,523 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

Here's the third Tuesday of Winter:

Posted Image

CBS ran reruns of its entire lineup which allows for a reality check for the night normally dominated by the network. Basically it loses about a third of its viewers, which still means it wins total viewers for the night.

ABC didn't grab very many of the CBS viewers. A rerun of "Last Man Standing" pulled higher ratings than "Work It."

Fox. "Glee" returned with somewhat better ratings than it pulled on December 6, the last time it was against CBS reruns, when it got a 2.9/8 - 7.09 million. "New Girl" ratings on December 6 were 3.4/9 - 6.82 million, so it's holding steady while "Raising Hope" seems to be sort of holding steady.

NBC did not benefit from CBS running reruns.

The CW has an "interesting" strategy in running the premier of "Remodeled" on Tuesday and then repeating it on its regular night, Wednesday. My evaluation at this point is that it looks like the Tuesday premier was a waste of airtime.

Of course it didn't help that the return of "90210" new episodes at 8:00 was down from its last new episode which seems almost impossible.:rolleyes:

My AV Setup

#24 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Here's the third Tuesday of Winter:
ABC didn't grab very many of the CBS viewers. A rerun of "Last Man Standing" pulled higher ratings than "Work It."

It had already been announced that "Work It" had been cancelled, so yes, they showed a rerun of the pilot of "Last Man Standing" instead. I guess "The new hit comedy for Tuesday nights" on ABC was a two episode abject failure. I could tell this just from the promos. Couldn't the programming folks at ABC have figured this out before spending the money on developing it? What are they smoking?
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,523 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

It had already been announced that "Work It" had been cancelled, so yes, they showed a rerun of the pilot of "Last Man Standing" instead. I guess "The new hit comedy for Tuesday nights" on ABC was a two episode abject failure. I could tell this just from the promos. Couldn't the programming folks at ABC have figured this out before spending the money on developing it? What are they smoking?

I don't know what makes successful comedy programming. There are so many factors and a lot of risk.

CBS which has a successful track record tried out "How to be a Gentleman" after "The Big Bang Theory" on Thursday and went right back to showing "Rules of Engagement."

Now they've got "¡ROB!" in that Thursday 8:30 slot which seems somewhat risky. It has Rob Schneider, ostensibly the clueless white guy doing Mexican cultural jokes, except that the remainder of the cast are some of the top Hispanic actors creating an "I dare you" buffer against the PC crowd. And then there is Schneider's mother, who has done some acting but is a Kindergarten teacher and School Board member in Pacifica, California, and is of Filipino decent:

Posted Image

The ratings success of "2 Broke Girls" on CBS amazed me, though I think it is really funny. It has been attacked for insensitivity, but they're fighting back.

ABC has done well on Wednesday with its comedy lineup with "Modern Family" as the centerpiece garnering ratings comparable to the top two CBS comedies "Two-and-a-Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory." That "Modern Family" is under attack for tonight's episode is in itself hilarious IMHO.

Fox's "New Girl" is doing well in the ratings.

NBC, on the other hand, has comedies Thursday night that are struggling for ratings but are critics' darlings. The problem there may be simply "it's on NBC."

What makes a comedy work I really don't know, but in addition to grabbing viewers with humor apparently a comedy now must defend its humor. It's a tough world for TV comedy programming folks.;)

My AV Setup

#26 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,087 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Is Ringer done?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,523 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

No, it returns January 31.

The CW apparently must have written the course for broadcast network TV programmers on how to confuse viewers by not actually supporting a fixed schedule.

My AV Setup

#28 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

Phrelin,

Is AMC not even a player in the ratings? With shows like The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, The Killing, Mad Men, and Hell on Wheels, I would have thought that their ratings would out surpass those of CW.

I am probably just bias since I do not watch anything on CW and all the above series on AMC.

Was just wondering.

#29 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,523 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

Phrelin,

Is AMC not even a player in the ratings? With shows like The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, The Killing, Mad Men, and Hell on Wheels, I would have thought that their ratings would out surpass those of CW.

I am probably just bias since I do not watch anything on CW and all the above series on AMC.

Was just wondering.

AMC shows are getting much better ratings than The CW, as are a number of cable and premier channel shows. Tuesday night's season premiers of "White Collar" (USA), "Justified" (FX) and "Southland" (TNT) all did better than anything on The CW even if you don't look at ratings for the same night and same week repeats. The cable daily results are available at TVbytheNumbers. But....

The Nielsen ratings reports are divided. The broadcast network prime time ratings are a separate category from cable channels and both separately from premium channels. The Nielsen folks do report results for the Spanish language broadcast channel network Univision, which gets around double The CW ratings each week and frequently pulls more than an NBC prime time half hour. Apparently they also report weekly results for PBS, but getting that info is a puzzle.

Along with other info gatherers, Nielsen does report online activities, but we really don't know what folks are doing.

This becomes really clear when you see the ratings for the third Wednesday of Winter:

Posted Image

Apparently 24 million viewers have doing something else Wednesdays at 9:00.

Fox. "American Idol" competition brings in the viewers like NFL playoff games. The numbers depend on where things are in the season and what's on elsewhere. But unlike NFL playoff games, there's also the slow, long decline of any show that begins in a given year. Here's three years of "AI" 2 hour premiers:

1/12/2010 11.8/29 - 29.80 million
1/19/2011 9.7/25 - 26.06 million
1/18/2012 7.2/18 - 21.61 million

ABC's shows did ok despite the "AI" premier. "Modern Family" at 9:00 in particular seemed to pick up 4 million viewers that were not there for "Suburgatory" at 8:30.

CBS let the first hour go with a rerun of "NCIS." They won't be bringing "Survivor" back until February 15. The Winter return of "Criminal Minds" had it's regular audience while the evolving "CSI" gained from having more folks watching live TV.

NBC in the first hour either took a hit from "AI". Or "Whitney" and "Chelsea" can't hold an audience. Or maybe it's just NBC. "Harry's Law" is slowly dying like most shows moved to Friday. Oh wait, this isn't Friday, it's just NBC.

Which brings us to the big hit taken by "SVU" just as romance blossoms for Detective Olivia Benson which doesn't bode well for Harry Connick, Jr. in what one reviewer called "one of the best episodes of SVU this season."

The CW live viewers do overlap some with "AI". But maybe the network has stumbled onto something. If you add the ratings from Tuesday's premier of "Remodeled" to Wednesday's rerun of the episode, you get a demo rating of 0.6 with 1.32 million. Or you have the same mindless viewers watching both nights.

Edited by phrelin, 19 January 2012 - 01:13 PM.

My AV Setup

#30 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,523 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

Here's the third Thursday of Winter:

Posted Image

Fox. Ouch! Here's a four year history of "American Idol" premier week night 2:
  • 1/14/2009 11.8/29 - 29.85 million
  • 1/13/2010 10.1/27 - 26.40 million
  • 1/20/2011 7.8/21 - 22.90 million
  • 1/19/2012 5.6/15 - 17.74 million
Last year "Bones" in the second hour pulled 3.5/9 - 10.55 million. Ouch again with "The Finder" pulling 2.2/5 - 6.78 million.

Some thoughts.

"AI" is getting "long of tooth" particularly the "let's all make fun of the worst tryouts" episodes. And its viewers really don't offer a lead in to another show - they just disappear.

In fact, there were 43.91 million viewers in the 8:30 half hour, 19.26 million of which were "AI" viewers. In the 9:30 half hour, there were 35.30 million viewers, 6.09 million of which were "The Finder" viewers. So 8.61 million viewers disappeared. Fox lost 13.17 million.

"The Finder" was up from its premier, though "Bones" ratings last year were 3.6/10 - 10.95 million.

CBS. The first hour comedy lineup held up, even though the second episode of "¡ROB!" did not do nearly as well as the first episode. We'll see how it does in future weeks.

"Person of Interest" scored its highest demo rating. "The Mentalist" did well.

ABC's lineup didn't have a good night.

NBC. What can one say? "The Firm" demo rating is in The CW range making the prime time Leno show on 1/15/2010 look really good with its 1.4/4 - 4.41 million. I keep looking for those screaming affiliate managers and TV critics who made headlines back then.

What's even more fascinating is that last night "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" pulled a 2.7/7 demo (CBS's "Late Show with David Letterman" got 3.0/8).

The CW. :shrug:

My AV Setup

#31 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

HOLY COW - NBC Comes In 8th!

The latest NBC series to take over ER‘s Thursday 10 PM slot, new legal drama The Firm, drew a puny 0.9/2 in the key adults 18-49 demographic, ranking eighth is the hour behind the Big 3 broadcast networks as well as four basic cable networks including slot leader MTV with its juggernaut Jersey Shore.

from Deadline Hollywood
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,523 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

The latest NBC series to take over ER‘s Thursday 10 PM slot, new legal drama The Firm, drew a puny 0.9/2 in the key adults 18-49 demographic, ranking eighth is the hour behind the Big 3 broadcast networks as well as four basic cable networks including slot leader MTV with its juggernaut Jersey Shore.

from Deadline Hollywood

Good for Nellie Andreeva of Deadline Hollywood. It's time someone actually in the business starts pointing out the emperor has no clothes.

The death bell for viable broadcast network television has been tolling since the labor strife of 2007-08. The ratings she lists in the story really aren't that unusual these days.

As I keep saying in discussions here, the rules of the TV game set up in 1958 make no sense. In the mid-1960's "Bonanza" episodes had 35 million viewers. Typical viewership in the 1970's for the three broadcast networks in prime time was 55-60 million. We're subsidizing a system that can no longer work IMHO.

My AV Setup

#33 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

With Jersey Shore the winner of that hour is the problem really the broadcasters or our fellow citizens?

#34 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 636 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

from Deadline Hollywood

I'm actually enjoying this one, although I didn't expect to. That probably means it's doomed. I do find the flash-forward / flash-back stuff to be a bit irritating, but it looks like their two time streams MAY be coming closer together. I got so irritated with the same approach on Damages that I gave up on it halfway into the second season.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#35 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,523 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

Here's the third Friday of Winter:

Posted Image

CBS is running reruns on Friday until February Sweeps which inadvertently is quite kind to ABC's new shows and to the last three episodes of "Chuck" on NBC. But CBS still had the most total viewers in each of the three hours

ABC premiered a new season of "Shark Tank" at 8:00 and "What Would You Do? at 9:00 to mediocre ratings, particularly considering CBS is running reruns.

Fox. Well, "Fringe" gained a few over-50 live viewers.

NBC. Sadly that is a 2011-12 season high for "Chuck" and if NBC can't find a better place for "Grimm", they're NBC. I personally think they should have moved "Grimm" to Monday at 10:00, premiered "Smash" on Thursday at 10:00, "The Firm" to Sunday at 10:00 following "Harry's Law" and "The Apprentice" at 7:00 Sunday as a throw-away. And fortunately for me, my income doesn't depend of my scheduling for NBC.:grin:

The CW continued their ill-fated scheduling pattern of repeating episodes to try and find a new viewer for a show. The big question for "Remodeled" is did the show actually score a 0.9 demo with three 0.3's or did the same mindless viewers watch the show over and over and over.

My AV Setup

#36 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,470 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

It really is too bad how badly Friday night shows are doing. I actually have a lot of shows on Friday to record: Nikita, Fringe, Chuck and all three CBS shows.

I don't understand the lack of viewers for Chuck and Fringe - I really like both of them!! But, with that said, my husband has bailed on Fringe.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#37 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:03 AM

It really is too bad how badly Friday night shows are doing. I actually have a lot of shows on Friday to record: Nikita, Fringe, Chuck and all three CBS shows.

I don't understand the lack of viewers for Chuck and Fringe - I really like both of them!! But, with that said, my husband has bailed on Fringe.

I bailed on Fringe in season 2.

I loved Chuck but this season it just seems like they're grasping for a long term solution that isn't there. It's sad because I like the characters but the story this season has been horrid.

I have enjoyed Grimm for the most part though.

#38 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

We still watch Fringe religiously, although it has strayed from some of the charm of the earlier seasons. I really hope they wrap it up before it's canceled.

Grimm is excellent. I am picky about which shows I start watching, and this one barely made the cut. I'm glad I started watching.

#39 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,523 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

Here's the third Sunday of Winter for what it's worth:

Posted Image

Fox carried the NFC Giants at 49ers playoff game followed by American Idol which started essentially at 11:00 Eastern/8:00 Pacific. This pretty much screws up the ratings for the night.

ABC. "Once Upon a Time" did remarkably well considering that in half the country ABC's lineup was opposite the playoff game and on the Pacific Coast even at 8:00 was opposite "American Idol" after the game. The rest of the lineup did a little worse than usual.

CBS. The ratings for "Undercover Boss" took a hit. But the rest of the lineup were reruns.

NBC at 8:00 ran a rerun of "Dateline" against the playoff game which made sense. Then, for whatever reason, decided to burn off the last two episodes of "Prime Suspect" in the last two hours.

My AV Setup

#40 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,523 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

Here's the fourth Monday of Winter:

Posted Image

CBS ran reruns leaving 3+ million viewers with time on their hands.

ABC. "The Bachelor" was a curiosity for a million or so normally CBS viewers though many did something else by the second hour. "Castle" picked up less than half million and had its lowest demo for the Winter.

Fox opened the night with a new episode of "House" back in its traditional time slot at 8:00 for the first time in the 2011-12. It got a serious boost in the demo, more like old times, but we won't know how much of that is because of CBS reruns until February 6. "Alcatraz" actually dropped slightly in the demo from "House" and even more over the second hour of its premier last week.

NBC. "Who's Still Standing" picked up some viewers over its previous two outings. I guess the fear factor at the Florida Republican Debate wasn't as much fun as "The Fear Factor" but a bit more interesting than the regular "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

The CW's shows were preempted in Chicago for a Bull's game, so they may be a little off, but not by much as they were consistent with the late fall.

One final comment. Compared to the four weeks prior to the Holiday Doldrums, apparently 8 to 9 million total viewers have found something else to do other than to watch TV Live+same day. That includes about 2 million in the demo. The broadcast networks appear to have a problem.

My AV Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...