Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2011-12 Season Ratings - Winter

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

Here's the first Tuesday of the March Doldrums presented along with the February Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

And here is the 8:00 to 10:00 competition averages:

Posted Image

ABC's two non-reruns, "Cougar Town" and "The River" are doing terrible.

CBS reruns won the night other than Fox's half hour of "New Girl", which says something about the others.

Fox during this period is playing the confuse-the-"Glee"-fans, I guess because "Glee" ratings rose a bit during February Sweeps. "Raising Hope" (at a new time) and "New Girl" ratings were about normal. "I Hate My Teenage Daughter" was down from December. "Breaking In" was actually up from last year's season finale, if you can believe that. All-in-all, Fox is doing it's usual number on a decent scripted show, "Glee", for no logical reason at all.

NBC's past three year performance may be becoming a thing of the past as ABC dropped to last place. Soon, though, well see if the return of "Dancing with the Stars" will alter that.

The CW actually had some new episodes last night which raised the ratings above the Sweeps average. "90210" and "Ringer" fans had something to watch.

Edited by phrelin, 07 March 2012 - 02:42 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

phrelin, have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate you posting this pre-digested information. I THINBK I finally understand the ratings system and complexities since I have been following your posts.

With that said, I am unhappy about the Ringer ratings. I really like the show, and I'd like to meet the other 20 or so people in the US who like it too. Sometiomes I think the cast is bigger than the fan base.:D

...it would have done better on CBS, but given the higher standards there, it STILL might have not made it to a second season.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#123 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

Here's the first Wednesday of the March Doldrums presented along with the February Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

And here's the 8:00 - 10:00 averages

Posted Image

Fox won the 8:00 to 10:00 two hour competition. If the suits at Fox are paying attention this should have them in a tizzy. Compared to last year (3/9/2011) the 18-49 demo ratings dropped by 30% and the 50+ dropped by 20%.

ABC's comedy rerun ratings were all slightly above last year. "Revenge for Real" premiered with slightly higher ratings than a new episode of the now defunct drama "Off The Map" did last year.

CBS. "Survivor" ratings were about the same as last year. The "Criminal Minds" rerun is down from last year. The "CSI" rerun ratings were noticeably down from last year's new episode of the now defunct spinoff "Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior" which did get a 2.2/6 - 9.06.

NBC. Last year at 8:00 NBC had "Minute to Win It" which pulled 1.0/3 - 3.47. This year the comedy duo "Whitney" and "Are You There, Chelsea?" did better, though not well. This year's 9:00 "SVU" rerun did slightly better than last year's. Brian Williams turns out to be noticeably less popular than a 10:00 rerun of "SVU" last year. That's a problem as the second airing of the "SVU" isn't more costly than Williams' show.

The CW.

phrelin, have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate you posting this pre-digested information. I THINBK I finally understand the ratings system and complexities since I have been following your posts.

With that said, I am unhappy about the Ringer ratings. I really like the show, and I'd like to meet the other 20 or so people in the US who like it too. Sometiomes I think the cast is bigger than the fan base.:D

...it would have done better on CBS, but given the higher standards there, it STILL might have not made it to a second season.

Your welcome, and I enjoy doing it.

I too could see an upgraded "Ringer" aimed at an older demo in the CBS Tuesday 10:00 slot getting acceptable ratings. The current situation is unfortunate for a 34-year-old Sarah Michelle Gellar who was at age 19 a bright new star in the first year of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" on The WB. I look forward to seeing Kristoffer Polaha in a stronger show in a year or two.

Last night a new episode of "One Tree Hill", which wasn't in reruns during sweeps, pulled average ratings for the show. "America's Next Top Model" did very well compared to "Remodeled" aired during Sweeps.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#124 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

Here's the second Thursday of the March Doldrums presented along with the February Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

And here's the 8:00 to 10:00 competition averages:

Posted Image

ABC's rerun lineup didn't do well, but they were reruns.

Fox. "American Idol" lost to a new episode of "Big Bang Theory" in the first half hour of prime time, again. Compared to last year, it saw a drop in the demo of 26% and 20% in the 50+ crowd. "The Finder" seems to have found its audience, but whether that will be enough when "Grey's" is not in reruns remains to be seen. A year ago "Bones" pulled 3.4/10 - 10.95 million, 30% higher in the demo and 52% more in the 50+ crowd. Fox has decided to kill "Bones" by moving it to Monday at 8:00 rather than take advantage of its fan base.

NBC's two hour comedy lineup did around average. Newcomer "Awake" lost viewers as "The Mentalist" was a new episode. It likely would have had better ratings at Tuesday at 10:00.

The CW. :shrug:

CBS ran new episodes of everything except at 8:30 where they ran a rerun of "Big Bang Theory." As one might expect, they won the night and every time slot except 8:30. "Person of Interest" has found its audience.

CBS now has the advantage of having established their scripted shows in a fairly traditional broadcast TV fashion as they see themselves as a broadcast TV network. Over the next three weeks they will be airing NCAA Basketball March Madness in the season I call the March Doldrums. In April CBS can air its regular programming, some new episodes and some reruns. That will be followed by the Nielsen May Sweeps period April 26 - May 23, 2012.

In comparison, Fox currently plans to air the return of "Bones" on Monday April 2 against the NCAA Basketball March Madness championship game. :nono2:

My AV Setup

#125 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

In comparison, Fox currently plans to air the return of "Bones" on Monday April 2 against the NCAA Basketball March Madness championship game.

Is that why they call it March Madness?:D
Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#126 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Here's the second Friday of the March Doldrums presented along with the February Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS. Whither Fridays....

One can only speculate about why CBS ran a new episode of "The Mentalist" at 9:00. In its regular time slot at 10:00 on Thursday it averages 2.8/8 -13.75 million. That it pulled a 2.0/6 - 11.83 million on Friday at 9:00 provides some interesting information to work with.

"CSI: NY" has been pulling no more than 1.8/6 - 10.70 million and generally more like 1.6/5 -9.75 million. What those ratings for "The Mentalist" tell me is that "CSI:NY" is at about the ceiling for a regular scripted show on Friday at 9:00.

The issues are can they hold the 9:00 ratings without a tried-and-true procedural and, if so, are those ratings high enough to support a decent scripted show?

And one has to note that "The Mentalist" episode as a lead in did not help or hinder "Blue Bloods."

CBS appears to have taken over the top spot in what is now the Friday Reality Show Hour timeslot at 8:00. Will we see in 2012-13 all the broadcast nets offering reality+news shows on Friday?

ABC has already gone to a reality+news shows Friday lineup. It's ratings aren't great, but they probably make money.

NBC has one scripted show left on Friday. "Grimm" at 9:00 is not doing well enough. It should be on another night.

Fox is even running reruns of a reality show on Friday and at 9:00 it's not doing any worse than "Fringe" usually does.

My AV Setup

#127 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Is there somewhat we can see the ratings every week for our favorite shows? Is there a site that does that?

The best I know of is at the TVbytheNumbers shows listing which may not be exactly what you want.

They also offer the weekly broadcast top 25 and top cable 25 along with the live+7 DVR ratings for the week.

The live+7 DVR ratings are always interesting as they present the demo in two ways - raw number gains and % ratings gains.

For the week of February 6, 2012 - February 12, 2012 for instance, the top five raw numbers demo gainers were all live high ratings shows with the exception of "The Office":

Modern Family
Big Bang Theory
Grey's Anatomy
The Office
New Girl

The same week the five shows that got the highest percentage demo boost were all low live ratings shows including "The Office":

Pan Am
Fringe
Grimm
Up All Night
The Office

The same week the five shows that got the highest raw number total viewer boost were:

Modern Family
The Mentalist
NCIS
Big Bang Theory
Criminal Minds

They don't provide this, but same week the five shows that got the highest percentage total viewer boost were:

The Office
Grimm
Modern Family
Revenge
Alcatraz
New Girl

What's interesting about this for NBC is "The Office" and "Grimm" have a fairly strong hidden audience, meaning the shows would get decent live ratings if they were competitively placed.

I've been saying since the beginning of Winter that NBC should have placed "Grimm" on at 10:00 Tuesday. And though I've never looked at this before, "The Office" followed by "Whitney" on Wednesday at 8:00.

My AV Setup

#128 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

Here's the second Sunday of March Doldrums with an addition:

Posted Image

And here's the 8:00 to 10:00 averages:

Posted Image

Last month Gary Holmes, a media consultant, who was for six years the Nielsen Company’s Chief Press Officer and VP of Communications in a blog post The 18-49 Bad Habit wrote:

When I worked at Nielsen, the story I heard — perhaps apocryphal, perhaps not — was that in the mid-70s a less popular network decided to make lemonade out of lemons by arguing that while it had fewer overall viewers, it had more of the younger viewers that advertisers really wanted. Presto! The birth of the coveted and highly prized 18-49 demographic.

...But is it really true that advertisers only target 18-49 year-olds? I find it hard to believe, especially since consumers in their 50s and 60s have far more disposable income than those in their teens and 20s. The argument against advertising to anyone over age 49 is that while they may have more money, their buying patterns and brand preferences are set early in life, so there is no point trying to get them interested in anything other than adult diapers and denture cream once they get into their 50s.

This conventional wisdom seems particularly outdated now that the Baby Boomers, a generation always open to new experiences, have moved into their 50s and 60s. Nielsen and other researchers have found that Boomers’ brand loyalty is no more unchangeable than other age groups. I know this from personal experience: just a few weeks ago I, a Boomer, switched brands of toothpaste, and I routinely buy different brands of shaving cream, breakfast cereal and gasoline depending on price, convenience and whim (although I have to admit I have been fiercely loyal to my cola brand since I was a preteen.)

Holmes' comments have been picked up in the advertising and media trade press.

What I've done to the ratings chart above is to add a column that clearly offers a comparison of a show's ratings in the 18-49 crowd to the 50+ crowd. I chose to do this on this Sunday to demonstrate what I will call in the future "The "Harry's Law Quandary."

ABC. Last week ABC "won" every hour in the 18-49 ratings and last night tied or won every hour in the 18-49 ratings but 7:00. But last night ABC did not win a single hour in the 50+ ratings.

Relying upon the fickle 18-49 crowd somehow cost "Once Upon A Time" dearly. At that time slot compared to last week there were 0.8 million fewer viewers in the 18-49 crowd and that show had 0.6 million fewer viewers.

In passing, one has to note that "GBC" at 10:00 gained 4.5% from its premier last week in the 18-49 crowd while dropped 7.4% in the 50+ crowd.

CBS is normally #1 in the 50+ crowd. One show to examine is "The Good Wife" at 9:00. For the second week in a row it is #4 in the 18/49 crowd and #1 in the 50+ crowd.

Fox blatantly targets the demo which in the 8:00 to 10:00 competition gives them 2nd place with their animated series. But those shows attract only 12% of the 50+ crowd which represents around 70% of the viewership. It should be noted that the remaining 0.2 million missing 18-49 crowd at 8:00 were missing from Fox.

NBC. Last night "Harry's Law" was returned to the schedule in the 8:00 time slot. NBC remained dead last in the 18-49 ratings in that hour. But "Harry's Law" moved the network from dead last to first in the 50+ crowd with 33% of the 50+ audience. One can't help but note that in the 8:00 time slot the 18-49 audience dropped by 8% while the already much larger 50+ crowd grew by 18%. And all the growth went to "Harry's Law" which also significantly reduced the 50+ratings for ABC's "Once Upon A Time" and Fox's animated lineup.

The Harry's Law Quandary. Clearly "Harry's Law" in its cast and its subject matter is oriented to the 50+ crowd. The show this season even lost one reasonably popular young cast member Brittany Snow. The 50+ crowd loyally followed the show to Sunday even though all the ratings pundits are telling NBC to cancel it. "The Harry's Law Quandary" applies to "The Good Wife" on Sundays.

The Harry's Law Quandary is that the broadcast networks each year are losing more of the 18-49 audience to alternative activities, particularly the internet. The largest, by far, audience is over 49 years of age. What to do, what to do....

My AV Setup

#129 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

Here's the second Monday of the March Doldrums presented along with the February Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Typical of the March Doldrums the 8:00 to 10:00 competition was down from the Sweeps period by about 23% in the demo even though we old folks were down only 16%.

NBC's "The Voice" won the two hour competition with no one else even close. "Smash", however, continues its slide.

ABC's "The Bachelor" did come in second in the demo though not in total viewers. At 10:00 "The Bachelor: After the Rose" won.

CBS reruns pulled higher ratings than Fox which doesn't bode well for "Alcatraz".

Fox suits should be worrying about their plans for Monday. They're just going to kill "Bones" and embarrass the finishing weeks of "House".

Sorry I was so late with this, but as Lennon (John) said: "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

My AV Setup

#130 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Here's the second Tuesday of the March Doldrums presented along with the February Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There were 11 million (18%) fewer viewers on average during the first two hours of prime time last night compared to the Sweeps average, which is why I call this ratings period the March Doldrums.

ABC ran new episodes of everything but "Last Man Standing." That left them #4 overall in the 8:00 to 10:00 competition. "Body of Proof" edged out a rerun of "Unforgettable" at 10:00 for #2 in the demo.

CBS with a full schedule of reruns in the 8:00 to 10:00 competition tied Fox for #1 in the demo while clobbering everyone among the 50+ folks.

Fox had a bright spot at 9:00 with "New Girl".

NBC's reality lineup is getting mediocre ratings, including "Fashion Star."

My AV Setup

#131 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Here's the second Wednesday of the March Doldrums presented along with the February Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

Posted Image

ABC. When you look at the 8:00 - 10:00 totals, one can't help but notice the rerun effect last week. When ABC reran their comedy lineup about 10% of viewers didn't show up. This week they're back. But the ratings are down from the Sweeps period. "Revenge for Real" is underwhelming at 10:00.

CBS. "Survivor" and "CSI" were average but "Criminal Minds" was down a bit.

Fox. Last year "American Idol" pulled 7.4/22 - 22.18 million meaning a year-to-year 20% drop in total viewers and a 30% drop in the demo.

NBC's ratings were pathetic though "SVU" was a rerun.

My AV Setup

#132 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

Here's the third Thursday of the March Doldrums presented along with the February Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

Posted Image

For the entire night total viewership was down 19% compared to Sweeps.

CBS carried the March Madness NCAA Basketball First Round games last night which on the East Coast ran from 7:00 to 12:00. Here on the West Coast that was from 4:00 to 9:00 pm. The problem is TNT and TBS were also carrying NCAA Basketball First Round games, each with different games, at the same time which divides the fans. So CBS lost its normal high ratings on Thursday as it pulled only 50% of its Sweeps demo and 29% of Sweeps normal 50+ viewers for the night.

ABC, on the other hand, pulled 97% of its Sweeps average demo and 145% of its Sweeps average 50+ as it ran the series premier of "Missing" at 8:00 and new episodes of "Grey's Anatomy" and "Private Practice." The problem is the latter two ran close to average in ratings. So the real gain was with the premier of "Missing" which did well above what "Wipeout" pulled in the Sweeps period. But that isn't saying much. It will be interesting to see if "Missing" can hold even that not very impressive audience when "Big Bang Theory" returns on CBS.

Fox won the 8:00 - 10:00 competition because of "American Idol" in the 8:00 hour. Last year "Idol" pulled 5.6/19 - 19.00. So again, year-to-year it's 20% down in the demo and 18% down in the 50+ crowd.

The rerun of the "Touch" pilot which they ran as a special in January was well below "Bones" 3.5/11 - 12.49 million last year. It will be interesting to see if this "Touch" pilot early premier idea was as foolish as I think it was. They will have a chance to run only one new episode (next week) before CBS has its regular schedule back. Can "Touch" take and hold enough of the demo from "Person of Interest" which is the CBS new show winner so far this year?

NBC's return of "Community" and "30 Rock" during the 8:00 hour seemed to do well. But as we all know, "Big Bang Theory" being absent makes those ratings meaningless. And the missing 7 million viewers at 10:00 were mostly missing "The Mentalist" viewers that chose to do something else rather than see what was going on with "Awake."

The CW saw a 6% gain in its ratings compared to the Sweeps period. Of course, they ran reruns during one week of Sweeps which lowered the average by ... bet you guessed it ... 6%. ;)

Edited by phrelin, 16 March 2012 - 12:05 PM.
typo

My AV Setup

#133 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Here's the third Friday of the March Doldrums presented along with the February Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

Posted Image

A large number of regular Friday viewers were absent last night reflecting the fact that we're in the March Doldrums for broadcast TV. During the 8:00 to 10:00 competition the demo was down 14% over 50 crowd was down 25%.

CBS is still having to share the March Madness NCAA Basketball prime time with TNT and TBS. It doesn't produce great ratings.

ABC's lineup did about average for a Friday.

Fox ran two hours of "Kitchen Nightmares" reruns which at 9:00 got about the same ratings as a new episode of "Fringe" would give them.

NBC ran reruns from 8:00 to 10:00. A new "Dateline" at 10:00 pulled terrible ratings.

My AV Setup

#134 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

Here's the third Sunday of March Doldrums with the 50+ demo broken out:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS had a NCAA Basketball March Madness overrun which shifted the East Coast times for shows 43 minutes, so the CBS ratings are preliminary. What is shown by breaking out the 50+ ratings is the contrasting strategies of CBS and Fox. CBS won every time slot for the three weeks shown in the 50+ group while ranking lower in the demo except at 7:00. (All the CBS shows but "CSI:Miami" have been renewed for next year).

Fox, which basically competes only from 8:00 to 10:00, with 28% of the demo came in second behind ABC which had 31%, but was dead last in the 50+ group with 12% compared to CBS with 35%, ABC with 29% and NBC with 25%.

ABC's "Once Upon A Time" continues to do well while "GBC" lost the demo to "Celebrity Apprentice".

NBC's Sundays without football are not good, though "Celebrity Apprentice" seems to be a winner in its second hour at 10:00.

One of the more interesting statistics is that we older folks do like NBC's "Harry's Law" followed by "The Good Wife" on CBS.

Edited by phrelin, 19 March 2012 - 11:44 AM.
typo

My AV Setup

#135 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

Here's the third Monday of March Doldrums with the 50+ demo broken out along with the February Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Welcome to the Live Viewers Age Groups Ratings Competition where we had two popular .

ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" with only 26% of the 18-49 demo is now running head-to-head with NBC's "The Voice" which garnered 34%. On the other hand "Dancing", which is aging as a show as well as in some of its "stars", garnered 46% of the 50+ compared to "The Voice" with 22%. Over last year, "Dancing" is down 26% in the 18-49 group and 7% in the 50+ group which means it retained its hold on most of the 50+ fans.

The first new "Castle" at 10:00 got a bit of a boost from "Dancing's" return.

CBS. Against two popular competition reality shows one would expect CBS to see a ratings drop. And though the entire 8:00-10:00 comedy lineup were new episodes and tied ABC in the 18-49 demo, the ratings were down from when the only competition was NBC's "The Voice". At 10:00 "Hawaii Five-0" won the 18-49 demo but it's ratings were down. I would expect to see the CBS lineup to get a big numbers bump when the Live+7 day ratings come out.

Fox as expected has lost a substantial number of viewers for "House" and last year's "Chicago Code" pulled 1.9/5 - 6.31 compared to "Alcatraz" this year with 1.5/4 - 5.07. I do not expect to see "House" or "Alcatraz" get a big numbers bump when the Live+7 day ratings come out.

In two weeks, Fox intends on killing "Bones" by premiering it at the 8:00 slot against ABC's "Dancing", NBC's "The Voice", and on CBS the Final Game of the NCAA Basketball March Madness. For some unfathomable reason they will also be showing a new episode of "House" in its new time 9:00 (where it died last fall).

NBC suits had to be worrying about the return of ABC's "Dancing" against "The Voice." And indeed "The Voice" did take a hit in the 18-49 demo but still won. It took a much bigger hit in the 50+ demo.

"Smash" continued to see a drop in ratings ending up #3 in all age groups at 10:00 with the return of new episodes of "Castle" and "Hawaii Five-0".

My AV Setup

#136 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Here's the third Tuesday of March Doldrums with the 50+ demo broken out along with the February Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS is still in control of Tuesday, averaging over half of the total viewers, a third of the 18-49 viewers and 60% of the 50+ viewers in the 8:00 to 10:00 competition. And they had an even larger share at 10:00.

Fox's average for the three half-hours without new girl is 1.5 in the 18-49, 1.9 in the 50+, and 3.4 total. "New Girl" puts them at #3 in the two hour average competition ahead of ABC.

ABC's first hour of comedy is not doing too well. "The River" is now gone down the river, so at 9:00 they can recover with "Dancing with the Stars" results shows. That may give "Body of Proof" a slight boost.

NBC's "Biggest Loser" last night saw ratings more comparable to the Sweeps period. That probably won't hold beginning next week against the "DWTS" results shows. "Fashion Star" saw a ratings growth in the 10:00 hour.

My AV Setup

#137 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Season lows across the board for FOX Tuesday. Ouch.

#138 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Here's the third Wednesday of March Doldrums with the 50+ demo broken out along with the February Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fox. Though still dominating the 8:00 to 10:00 competition "American Idol" continues to drop this year. Also the drop over last year should be worrying the Fox suits. The 8:00 hour last year was 7.1/21 - 21.75 million compared to this year's 4.5/14 - 15.52 million. The 9:00 hour last year was 8.2/22 - 25.20 million compared to this year's 5.3/14 - 17.59 million. For the two hours, from year-to-year there is a 36% drop in the 18-49 demo and a 26% drop in the 50+ group.

CBS is keeping a solid hold on the #2 position from 8:00 to 10:00 and "CSI" easily won 10:00.

ABC ran reruns for the night.

NBC's 8:00 hour sitcoms ratings are still very, very low. At 9:00 they premiered "Bent" to The CW level ratings. That was followed by Brian Williams with a The CW level 18-49 demo rating.

My AV Setup

#139 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

NBC really can't catch a break!

Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
NBC's 'Bent' bombs in Wednesday night bow
New sitcom averages a 1.0 in 18-49s in its first episode
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Mar. 22, 2012

NBC's new comedy "Bent" had a rough first night.

The show bowed to disastrously low ratings, becoming the lowest-rated new scripted series this season.

"Bent" averaged a 1.0 in adults 18-49 in its first episode at 9 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights, and a 0.9 for the second episode, which aired at 9:30.
http://www.medialife...y-night-bow.asp
Luke

#140 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Here's (you may need to use the link to see a full size version of the chart) the fourth Thursday of March Doldrums with the 50+ demo broken out along with the February Sweeps averages:

Posted Image

And here's (you may need to use the link to see a full size version of the chart) the 8:00 to 10:00 competition averages:

Posted Image

I have put in red the difference between last night's number of viewers compared to the Sweeps period average as an indication of why I call this the March Doldrums for ratings. When the 50+ crowd is down more than the 18-49 demo you know broadcast TV isn't offering enough.

CBS had the NCAA Basketball Tournament March Madness last night even in the West Coast prime time. This is costing them income, big time.

ABC must have decided to burn off the initial three episodes of "Missing" during March Madness+AI. I don't get it. The rest of the night they ran reruns.

Fox. "American Idol" continues to see a ratings decline this year and it can't be because of the competition from the other networks, particularly last night. And year-to-year the drop is catastrophic. Last year's ratings were 6.2/19 - 20.74 million which means a 35% drop in the 18-49 demo, a 24% drop in the 50+ crowd, and 28% drop in total viewers.

The "season" premier of "Touch" started off pretty strong against rerun competition from ABC and basketball on CBS. We'll see how that holds up in April.

NBC. The continuing weak comedy ratings are obvious and "Awake" is just not getting viewers. Obviously, Thursday will have to be overhauled next year.

The CW. New episodes of "Vampire Diaries" are doing fairly well. "The Secret Circle" doesn't hold that audience even on a night when its audience doesn't even have a new "Grey's Anatomy" to consider.

Edited by phrelin, 23 March 2012 - 11:28 AM.
typo

My AV Setup

spam firewall