Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Remote TV using in-home distribution output

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dcb

dcb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

I have been using an older TV in another room using coax cable from the in-home distribution outlet on my 722 receiver. This TV has a built in tuner and works fine when set to channel 60. Now however, I would like to use a larger, newer flat screen TV the same way. The problem is this TV has no built in tuner. It does have a coax cable input but I do not know how to input the signal from the 722 into this TV. Is it possible? Or does a remote TV require having a tuner?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'm not sure why it would have a coax input if it doesn't have a tuner. Can you post your TV make/model? Also, make sure the TV is set to Antenna or Air and not Cable. The default channel is Antenna channel 60. And yes, the remote TV needs to have a tuner. Also, I hope you're not expecting an HD picture at the TV2 location, because the TV2 is only ever SD quality. If you want HD, you will need to add a second receiver, which will then make your tuner issue moot anyway.

#3 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

If your TV has a coax input and no tuner (which is extremely unlikely), you can always use an old VCR to tune to channel 60 then output via composite from there to your TV. I suspect all you need to do on your new TV is connect the coax and scan for channels and it will work. The picture won't look so hot, but it's better than nothing.

#4 OFFLINE   dcb

dcb

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'm not sure why it would have a coax input if it doesn't have a tuner. Can you post your TV make/model? Also, make sure the TV is set to Antenna or Air and not Cable. The default channel is Antenna channel 60. And yes, the remote TV needs to have a tuner. Also, I hope you're not expecting an HD picture at the TV2 location, because the TV2 is only ever SD quality. If you want HD, you will need to add a second receiver, which will then make your tuner issue moot anyway.

It is a Westinghouse 32in LCD (LTV-32-w1) about 8 years old. I was mistaken. It does have an analog tuner (NTSC) only. When I do a channel scan with the TV I do get an unusable distorted audio and video input signal on channel 116 from the Dish in-home output - nothing else.

dcb

#5 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

The channel type, Air or Cable, must be the same on the TV2 output and the TV.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#6 OFFLINE   dcb

dcb

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for everyone's help. With your hints and reading my manual closer, I overcame my ignorance and have it working great.

dcb

#7 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for everyone's help. With your hints and reading my manual closer, I overcame my ignorance and have it working great.

dcb

Glad you got it working. But honestly, unless coax is the only input, don't bother using coax. It outputs audio in mono and the pq is the lowest of all outputs. I connect TV2 from my 722K using composite cables (r/w/y). You can find high quality cable sets from monoprice.com that come in very long runs. I use a 25' set that has the video cable (yellow) made from RG59 cable. And they sell better sets that use RG6 cable. I've experienced no problems with these and they aren't much more difficult to run than coax.

#8 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

The TV2 output has MTS.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

spam firewall