Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Xmpcr

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jrrdy1380

jrrdy1380

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 02:15 PM

Had seen on TV and the Net about this product for PCs that can be used to get XM satellite radio programming. I have checked it out on the Web and it looks like something interesting and easy to operate but I am not for sure that I could get the signal with the equipment that XM uses.

I live in a trailer and it is hard to get reception by using a antenna inside the building so I wonder if I would have problems with the XM equipment.

If anyone has used this setup or has any info, I would appreciate your comments.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 05:35 PM

You need a south facing window for best reception, (remember its a satellite signal) but it will work in a lot of places you wouldn't think it would, like in the trunk of a car instead of on top. YMMV.

#3 OFFLINE   RichW

RichW

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 04:23 PM

XMPCR is by far the least expensive way to get XM Radio. For about 50 bucks you get a receiver, antenna, USB cable, audio cable and software to hook it up to a windows computer. I have mine connected to a laptop most of the time. I was able to activate it over the net for free and signed up for six months of service - so for about 110 bucks I have the service for six months.

As for signal strength, I was surprised that as soon as I hooked it up to my laptop and before I activated it, I was getting about 6 channels. I hadn't even postioned the antenna toward the satellite! Turns out that XM also operates many terrestrial repeaters and that was where I was getting my signal from. So even if you don't have a good line of sight to the XM bird, you may be able to get the signal from a land-based repeater.

The audio quality on XM is nothing sort of fabulous, and the channel selection is very nice.

#4 OFFLINE   jrrdy1380

jrrdy1380

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the info. So far sounds like something I would be interested in having. I am still concerned about getting the satellite signal inside my trailer. I don't have many windows facing the southside where I get my Dish signal. Does anyone know if there is a way to mount a antenna outside and run the connection inside?

#5 OFFLINE   RichW

RichW

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 08:42 PM

Yep, there are several outdoor antennas you can get for XM. They will cost more than the XMPCR itself, and you may not need one.

I couldn't find any info about XM repeaters in your area but if you know someone with XM, especially a boombox or XMPCR, you could have him/her come over and see what kind of signal strength you get inside the trailer.

You could also rotate the trailer! :)

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:55 PM

All XM antennas are indoor/outdoor. I can't get a signal from anywhere in my bedroom, which faces south so I fished the antenna cable into the basement and out a small hole I drilled. My antenna is currently strapped to my clothes line pole with a bar tie about 7 feet from my window. If you don’t mind doing a little drilling you can put the antenna almost anywhere you can think of. The XMFan store sells antenna add on cables allowing you to make the cable longer, they also sell amplified antennas, but those are pretty pricy.

http://shop.store.ya...tore/index.html
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#7 OFFLINE   jrrdy1380

jrrdy1380

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for all the info. I am thinking of ordering the system and may try it to get the signal inside first before ordering the cable to run the antenna outside. If I don't get it to give me a strong signal, would I be able to return the equipment or would I be stuck with it?

#8 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 08:58 PM

Not sure but I imagine they would, I have never personally dealt with the XMFan store, but a lot of people have with great success. Ziggy, one of the admins at the XMFan messege board is the one who runs the store, you can contact him to maske sure, via email at ziggy@xmfan.com . Or if you wish phone and fax numbers are on XMFans about us page http://www.xmfan.com/about.php

Good Luck :)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Down With Verizon!

#9 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 10:10 PM

I just read that Ziggy is on vacation, in that case you may want to contact Ryan instead at ryanmorris@xmfan.com . :)
Down With Verizon!

#10 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 12:33 AM

I highly HIGHLY recommend the pcr. I love mine and it has many advantages...

#11 Guest_crest_*

Guest_crest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2004 - 09:25 PM

I have a south-facing bedroom window, but the XM antenna is looking through a wall beneath the window, receiving 3 (sometimes 4), bars on the Satellite signal strength screen. There are no trees in the way outside where the antenna "looks". It helps to get a compass and face the antenna directly south (line it up with the compass needle). It's amazing the sat signal can penetrate the wall (plaster and brick), and retain high signal strength. By the way, the fine tuning screen reads no bars on terrestrial, so this is truly the sat signal coming through.

#12 OFFLINE   mattyro

mattyro

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:38 AM

I just bought a "roady" today. I am shocked at the ease of setup and use--not to mention the size of the unit and the overall quality of the service!!
SAVE FARSCAPE!!----WE DID IT !!!:smaileinh :blowout: :alterhase

#13 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 06:56 AM

I've been using my xmpcr at work for about 7 months. I had no problems inside of an office building mainly because our city has a terrestrial repeater. I just pointed my antenna toward the downtown area and voila!

spam firewall