Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ressurrected Classic Shows

sling hopper issue s230

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

No, not remakes, the real things. Aside from everything showing up on independent networks like Antenna, MeTV and RTV, more and more are showing up on existing cable/satellite channels.

Rawhide, Laredo and Marshall Dillon are now on Encore Westerns. (Afternoon block, Lawman, Have Gun Will Travel, Laredo, Wagon Train, Rawhide, Marshall Dillon, Gunsmoke)
TVGuide Channel is running several older series.
Hallmark just started running the Bob Newhart Show
Spin City and Wings are back on Reelz

Some other channels are running a couple of older shows among their regular schedules; HUB, GMC, INSP and WGN for example.

Will the network stuffed shirts take notice are start producing real TV again?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

I hear "Captain Nice" is getting a revisit. :D

#3 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,675 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

I get RTV from CT and they run old shows. I DVR Peter Gunn, I Spy & Naked Ciy.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#4 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 614 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

Sometimes it's better not to see those old shows you remember so fondly. Often they turn out not to be all that good ...
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,297 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

The problem with old shows, say westerns as an example, - I have the entire "Gunsmoke" series - is you can't compare them to shows like "Hell on Wheels" or "Deadwood" IMHO. While "Gunsmoke" is a great classic as a "body of work", because of many factors you know while you are watching they are dated.

Nonetheless, there will never be a western on TV again that will match "Gunsmoke" for popularity, length of run, etc.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

you can't compare them to shows like "Hell on Wheels" or "Deadwood" IMHO.

The old classic are better.

Period.

I don't even like the later Gunsmoke movies. It's obvious the values changed and the movies are far more violent and mean-natured.

#7 OFFLINE   reber1b

reber1b

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

One thing about Gunsmoke -- you can watch it with your kids or grandkids. Deadwood, on the other hand, is not something I would want to watch with kids.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,297 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

The old classic are better.

Period.

I don't even like the later Gunsmoke movies. It's obvious the values changed and the movies are far more violent and mean-natured.

One thing about Gunsmoke -- you can watch it with your kids or grandkids. Deadwood, on the other hand, is not something I would want to watch with kids.

I wouldn't disagree about the "more violent and mean-natured" nor about watching "Deadwood" with "your kids or grandkids."

But I've always been a little uncomfortable about creating a sanitized version of "the old west" which is currently being portrayed by "Hell on Wheels" closer to how things were after the Civil War.

In the extensive analysis of the character Marshal Matt Dillon in Wikipedia we are offered:

During the 9-year run of the radio version of Gunsmoke and the 20-year run of the television version, surprisingly little was revealed about Matt's family history or about events in his past that may have shaped his views or his attitude toward his work. In both the radio and the television episodes, stories would occasionally center around individuals with whom he had once been close friends. Usually his experiences with these friends involved jobs on the periphery of law enforcement, such as tracking down rustlers or lost cattle for ranch owners. It was often implied that he had led an adventurous and sometimes nomadic lifestyle before becoming a U. S. Marshal and one of his old friends proudly stated that "I knew Matt Dillon before he was civilized!"

The setting is Dodge City, Kansas, which has it's own history heavily associated with the Army through Fort Dodge after the Civil War when the Indian Wars in the West began heating up.

It's not possible in my mind that Dillon somehow escaped the trauma of fighting in the Civil War.

And frankly a U.S. Marshal during that time ... well ... I'll let Wikipedia's description explain:

When Washington set up his first administration, and the first Congress began passing laws, both quickly discovered an inconvenient gap in the constitutional design of the government: It had no provision for a regional administrative structure stretching throughout the country. Both the Congress and the executive branch were housed at the national capital; no agency was established or designated to represent the federal government's interests at other localities. The need for a regional organization quickly became apparent. Congress and the President solved part of the problem by creating specialized agencies, such as customs and revenue collectors, to levy tariffs and taxes, yet there were numerous other jobs that needed to be done. The only officers available to do them were the Marshals and their Deputies.

The Marshals thus provided local representation for the federal government within their districts. They took the national census every decade through 1870. They distributed Presidential proclamations, collected a variety of statistical information on commerce and manufacturing, supplied the names of government employees for the national register, and performed other routine tasks needed for the central government to function effectively.

Maybe it's impossible to create a believable character within an accurate historical framework, but it would have been interesting even for kids to know how Matt Dillion handled the census duties in 1870.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

surprisingly little was revealed about Matt's family history or about events in his past that may have shaped his views or his attitude toward his work.

Fine with me. I have no interest at all in character backgrounds or family history. I hate it when TV shows go that route. I lost all interest in JAG when it turned into the "Harmon Rabb, where's my Daddy" show.

As far as unwarranted violence, one of the "Marshall Dillon" episodes has Dillon beating a man for no apparent reason other than to humiliate him. These half-hour episodes were the forerunner to Gunsmoke.

but it would have been interesting even for kids to know how Matt Dillion handled the census duties in 1870

Yeah, they leave a lot of that kind of stuff out. You never saw Hunter or Hill and Renko doing much paperwork or making court appearances. Some, but no where near what would be real.

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,675 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

Naked City is still great for me because they use NYC as their location and I'm always looking for places I remember.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

spam firewall