Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 - Existing / Current Customers ?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jeremymc7

jeremymc7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

Want to get an HR34 to replace a stock of older HR's and manage the recordings from one DVR.

1. Does anyone have an update of when the HR34 will be available to existing / current customers. Last update was early 2012. Well this is technically early 2012 now so what's the thought?

2. Any idea of the existing / current customer price? Retail stores are pricing at $399. New customers are priced at $99.

3. Any thoughts regarding buying from retail for $399 versus waiting for DirecTv to make available directly to existing / current customers?

Thanks all.
HR34-700
HR24-500
HR22-100
H24-100
Whole Home DVR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,431 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

We've been told February. I took the last option, was able to get it activated last night.

#3 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

Want to get an HR34 to replace a stock of older HR's and manage the recordings from one DVR.

1. Does anyone have an update of when the HR34 will be available to existing / current customers. Last update was early 2012. Well this is technically early 2012 now so what's the thought?

2. Any idea of the existing / current customer price? Retail stores are pricing at $399. New customers are priced at $99.

3. Any thoughts regarding buying from retail for $399 versus waiting for DirecTv to make available directly to existing / current customers?

Thanks all.

No official word other than what has already been said. (Early 2012)
As far as pricing, Remember all prices listed for all directv equipment is a "Leased" price. The $399 is a leased price for a HR34 and if you pay the same say through solid signal it is still the lease upgrade and not a purchase of the HDDVR. I would say keep calling Directv and see if there is any updates on availability of the HR34. They will be able to give you the best lease upgrade price than a retail store but a retail store may already have it in stock which you could pay the lease upgrade there and then work with directv on getting credits for the price you paid the retailer.

#4 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

I bought one retail but not leased. Owned so I can expand the internal hard drive or do whatever else I want with the box. Trying out the DTV boxes and if I don't like it I will fall back on my old SD DirecTiVos. With owned boxes I can just sell them to someone who wants them owned.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#5 OFFLINE   chem

chem

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

edit

Edited by chem, 04 January 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

I bought one retail but not leased. Owned so I can expand the internal hard drive or do whatever else I want with the box. Trying out the DTV boxes and if I don't like it I will fall back on my old SD DirecTiVos. With owned boxes I can just sell them to someone who wants them owned.

how did you get an owned receiver from a retailer?

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#7 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,835 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

how did you get an owned receiver from a retailer?

And...From who and how much?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   johnnytex

johnnytex

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

We've been told February. I took the last option, was able to get it activated last night.

Did you get any credits from DirecTV?

#9 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

I can feel a rude awakening coming.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#10 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

I can feel a rude awakening coming.

I kinda had the same feeling.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#11 OFFLINE   jeremymc7

jeremymc7

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

I spent some time on the phone today with DirecTV and the answer I got was that for existing / current customers "maybe" March. That's starting to get outside of "early 2012" but i'm sure they're also giving themselves a buffer in case Feb slips.

I might just grab one from a retailer at that point.
HR34-700
HR24-500
HR22-100
H24-100
Whole Home DVR

#12 OFFLINE   shaddow22

shaddow22

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

I've been dealing with case management over the last week trying to get my HR34 (purchased from VE) installed. Originally they said it couldn't be done. I called back later to upgrade to a WWDVR & SWM and asked again and this CSR had no problem scheduling it. Everything eventually got installed correctly on Monday, though I had to do some educating of the tech to get the system setup correctly. The only issue was that DirecTV couldn't add RVU to my account for the Samsung TV. They told the tech that a ticket was made and it was "elevated up the chain". I talked to the CSR from my original case management ticket and he said that it couldn't be activated until Feb 9, when existing customers will be able to purchase HR34's and add RVU. So, that must be the date. As mentioned elsewhere, they'll still need to do a truck roll to "activate RVU" even though the only thing that needs to be done is activate it on their computer and pair the HR34/Samsung (which I can do right now). He also checked into rebates and wasn't sure if the $300 rebate would be available to existing customers.

#13 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

PM for dealer info and price if you want. They will set you up.

#14 OFFLINE   jeremymc7

jeremymc7

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

I went ahead and ordered one from retail shop for full MSRP of $399. It's unlikely DirecTV will sell for less come Feb (or Mar) since my contract isn't up. Besides when it is up I'll want to swap out all of my HR2x and H2x units for the new RVU boxes whenever DirecTv ships them.

I've already got a SWIM set-up, as well and Whole Home Media and all the other bells and whistles. I should hopefully I should be able to just add the HR34 in the system and disable the extra tuners on the HR units as I'm adding the HR34 as a 4th receiver. Then hopefully DirecTV shouldn't give me any issues activating it as an existing customer.

Fingers Crossed.

I've been dealing with case management over the last week trying to get my HR34 (purchased from VE) installed. Originally they said it couldn't be done. I called back later to upgrade to a WWDVR & SWM and asked again and this CSR had no problem scheduling it. Everything eventually got installed correctly on Monday, though I had to do some educating of the tech to get the system setup correctly. The only issue was that DirecTV couldn't add RVU to my account for the Samsung TV. They told the tech that a ticket was made and it was "elevated up the chain". I talked to the CSR from my original case management ticket and he said that it couldn't be activated until Feb 9, when existing customers will be able to purchase HR34's and add RVU. So, that must be the date. As mentioned elsewhere, they'll still need to do a truck roll to "activate RVU" even though the only thing that needs to be done is activate it on their computer and pair the HR34/Samsung (which I can do right now). He also checked into rebates and wasn't sure if the $300 rebate would be available to existing customers.

HR34-700
HR24-500
HR22-100
H24-100
Whole Home DVR

#15 OFFLINE   shaddow22

shaddow22

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

I went ahead and ordered one from retail shop for full MSRP of $399. It's unlikely DirecTV will sell for less come Feb (or Mar) since my contract isn't up. Besides when it is up I'll want to swap out all of my HR2x and H2x units for the new RVU boxes whenever DirecTv ships them.

I've already got a SWIM set-up, as well and Whole Home Media and all the other bells and whistles. I should hopefully I should be able to just add the HR34 in the system and disable the extra tuners on the HR units as I'm adding the HR34 as a 4th receiver. Then hopefully DirecTV shouldn't give me any issues activating it as an existing customer.

Fingers Crossed.

I believe quite a few people got them activated with a normal CSR (perhaps even online?). The case management CSR I talked with said DirecTV is aware that existing subs are doing that, but there wasn't much they could do to stop it.

#16 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

PM for dealer info and price if you want. They will set you up.

You never answered any of the questions Jerry.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#17 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

I should hopefully I should be able to just add the HR34 in the system and disable the extra tuners on the HR units as I'm adding the HR34 as a 4th receiver.

What do you mean by "disable the extra tuners on the HR units"?
From the 2 DVRs and receiver you're showing in your signature line plus the HR34, I count 10 tuners. Do you have a SWiM16 right now or do you plan on deactivating (and returning) at least one of your HR units?

#18 OFFLINE   jeremymc7

jeremymc7

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

What do you mean by "disable the extra tuners on the HR units"?
From the 2 DVRs and receiver you're showing in your signature line plus the HR34, I count 10 tuners. Do you have a SWiM16 right now or do you plan on deactivating (and returning) at least one of your HR units?

I've got 5 tuners running now over two HR and one H. The plan was to disable one tuner on each of the existing HR and then insert the HR34 giving 8 tuners.

The thought was that I had a SWiM 8 and would be fine. Now you have me wondering if I have a SWiM 5 installed or now.

Can I tell from the TV without getting on the second story roof. Set up states Dish Type 17-Slimline-S3 (SWM) and switch type 01-SWM.
HR34-700
HR24-500
HR22-100
H24-100
Whole Home DVR

#19 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:03 AM

Feb 9 to existing I hear.

I have one and let me say this. The software is poor quality right now. I'd recommend just waiting until Feb instead of taking extraordinary measures to get one earlier. You'd kinda be setting yourself up for disappointment.

I was able to activate mine with no problems, although the normal people at D* couldn't do it, but they simply forwarded me to the right people who could, no issues.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

#20 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

You never answered any of the questions Jerry.

Forgive me if I cannot find your questions. Just a statement not based on you having an owned and activated HR34.

No rude awakening here.

Just the same thing I have always done with decoder and recorder boxes. Own them.

spam firewall