Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 - Existing / Current Customers ?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

OK here are the answers.

As posted in two other threads including one I started myself I paid $549 and $17 shipping. Box is activated owned when it gets to me. I would not accept shipment if it were not already tested and activated.

I will not give you the dealer contact details since he is a real working person and I don't want a bunch of lookyloos just calling him up without any intention of buying.

The method I used to find an owned hr34 is one I always use to purchase anything Research Research Research. There are thousands of DirecTV Dealers. The big ones always mentioned on this sort of forum are hardly ever as friendly to consumers as the guy whose next sale means he gets to go to the grocery store on the way home instead of eating leftovers.

So you get online and start finding smaller, entreprenurial dealers who are feeding thier families on a daily basis by being customer friendly. Eventually you will find one or more that are selling what you want at a reasonable price and with great service. Great service means doing what you want.

It took me three days of casual surfing and emailing to find such a dealer. Better even than first expected.

If you or someone you know wants to try to purchase any DirecTV equipment owned, just ask. I, got a brand new HR24 owned at the same time from this great dealer.

I am not being coy here, just trying to keep my dealer from getting way too many calls. I have given contact details to eight folks from here already.

Jerry - Thanks for this info.

I'm a little uncomfortable reading that the receiver was delivered to you "pre-activated". Have you confirmed this receiver is on your account on the DIRECTV web site (under "My Equipment")?

Also, have you confirmed with DIRECTV that the receiver status is "owned" (not "leased")? It's one thing for the seller to say it's owned, but it's another for DIRECTV to document it as such...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

Drew2k Yes yes and yes
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#43 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

If it's a pre actived owned receiver it's going to be one from the test phase or it was purchased for a commercial account.

As long as he's called ACDT and verified it's status then that's all that matters. I would suspect this is more of a one off situation than it is a dealer situation.

#44 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

I would suspect this is more of a one off situation than it is a dealer situation.

Not according to Jerry.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#45 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

I'm not doubting whathe is saying the information he may have been given. I'm doubting the information that was given.

This person may be a dealer but this is not a legitimate dealer sale for this piece of equipment. Now if he happens to be a dealer but sold a demo unit or something then that's another matter. Again this really doesn't matter if ACDT verified it's status and the transaction is completed. Anything else would be between the dealer and DIRECTV.

#46 OFFLINE   syclonedave

syclonedave

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

[quote name='jeremymc7']I've got 5 tuners running now over two HR and one H. The plan was to disable one tuner on each of the existing HR and then insert the HR34 giving 8 tuners.

The thought was that I had a SWiM 8 and would be fine. Now you have me wondering if I have a SWiM 5 installed or now.

SWM 5 :confused::nono:
Custom Installer D* dealer

#47 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

Very few people have SWM 5's installed. If you had one you should know because they were not installed nationally, or I should say should not have been.

With that said if you order this through DIRECTV they will not drop ship nor will they leave a SWM 8 or SWM LNB if you have more than 8 tuners.

#48 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

Both the HR34 and the HR24 that I bought were brand new never opened boxes, never subscribed before I requested the dealer to activate them. I have no way for an installer to come to my home as it moves faster than they can make appointments. So the dealer took the whole system, every bit and piece from the LNB to the receivers with all the bells and whistles in between and hooked the system up in his lot. Then when everything worked as advertised he activated them on my account at my request made sure all my new programming because of HD MRV Etc was working and then boxed up the whole system and shipped it to me. Right from the get go there is no talk of beta units or commercial units or any other sort of thing. This dealer has been with DirecTV from the beginning and is exclusive to DirecTV. He does do custom theater installs as well.

How many more HR34s can he get? I have no idea. All I need to know is that he had one for me.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#49 OFFLINE   johnnytex

johnnytex

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

If you go into the setup menu and rerun the satellite setup, you can select single or dual tuners. I'm not sure how the HR34 works in that regard, but I know you can do it with the HR2x series.

Unfortunately, that option is not available on my HR34. Since I only have a SWM8 for now, had to cut one of my HR20's to a single tuner.

#50 OFFLINE   jeremymc7

jeremymc7

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

Unfortunately, that option is not available on my HR34. Since I only have a SWM8 for now, had to cut one of my HR20's to a single tuner.

This is exactly what my plan is with my HR2x when my HR34 get's here, hence the whole discussion. I don't want any recording anywhere else besides the HR34 to keep everything centralized. Good to know though just in case I run into any issues when it gets here.
HR34-700
HR24-500
HR22-100
H24-100
Whole Home DVR

spam firewall