Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tide me over until next month (HR34) with a dying Hughes SD-DVR

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bakerzdosen

bakerzdosen

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

Long story short: I've got my parents convinced (it didn't take much - it's the right choice) to get an HR34 (and a d6000 Samsung as they need a new TV as well to replace their old 36" SD CRT, but that's another topic).

I've read on here that they should wait to see if they can get some kind of subsidized price from DTV, and that will only happen next month (at the earliest). So, they need to make it to the end of February or so.

The problem is that they have a Hughes SD-DVR (and its associated dish) and it is dying. I'm not actually sure what the problem with the unit is, but it very well could be the hard drive (it's not the original.) It could also be something else. But that's not the point of this.

My point is, they also have access to an HR10-250 unit. Would this unit be able (SD only of course) to use their existing dish and be "good enough" for the next month or so?

I know that DTV has offered to send them a "free" since they've been a customer for so long (and not upgraded) but I'm afraid that that will alter their chances to get a subsidized HR34.

Should I just have them get the free one and order an HR34 from S.S.?

TIA.

Edited by bakerzdosen, 04 January 2012 - 06:00 PM.
clarification

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

I believe that people holding out for discounted pricing on HR34's won't be as happy as they think. I'm not saying that there will be 0 discounts given but they deffinately won't be as lucrative as existing models.

If it's a technical problem and you have a second TV you could get it replaced by the technical department and then move it later. If you are going to want 2 HD TV's though then you might as well take the free offer that's available now in case it goes away.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

That makes a lot of sense. I've heard a lot of rumors about what the discounts are going to be... and I wouldn't count on "heavily discounted" or "free" no matter how well you're connected.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

Oh, and :welcome_s to DBSTalk!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

I was on the phone with the retention department last Friday; I am eligible for a HD receiver upgrade worth $199. We still have two DVR-80’s one in my parent portion of the house and one in the RV. I was told that once the HR-34 becomes available, I can get it at a reduced rate but not free. I’m thinking of putting the HR-34 in my home office and taking the HR-23 that is in there and replacing the DVR-80 in Mom and Dads’ room. One problem that one might encounter by going the S.S. route, is the may be on the hook for having to upgrade to whole home or SWM.

#6 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

I was on the phone with the retention department last Friday; I am eligible for a HD receiver upgrade worth $199. We still have two DVR-80’s one in my parent portion of the house and one in the RV. I was told that once the HR-34 becomes available, I can get it at a reduced rate but not free. I’m thinking of putting the HR-34 in my home office and taking the HR-23 that is in there and replacing the DVR-80 in Mom and Dads’ room. One problem that one might encounter by going the S.S. route, is the may be on the hook for having to upgrade to whole home or SWM.

If you get an HR34, you will need to upgrade to SWiM. The HR34s are only SWiM compatible and will not work on a legacy conection.

#7 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

If you get an HR34, you will need to upgrade to SWiM. The HR34s are only SWiM compatible and will not work on a legacy conection.

Yeah, I know. I'm hoping to get it done at no cost.

#8 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

BTW, the HR10-250 could be used to hold them over. It will receive the SD channels from the 101 sat and it can also receive OTA if they have an antenna. This would give them OTA HD.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yeah, I know. I'm hoping to get it done at no cost.

Upgrade to SWM will be included in the order as there is a $49 installation fee.

#10 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:17 AM

I'm curious what the rumors are on the HR34... I'm kinda thinking somewhere between $99 and $159 (12 x $20 worth of credits).

$299 = a long, painful swap for me to another provider.

#11 OFFLINE   bakerzdosen

bakerzdosen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:51 AM

Yeah, the $550ish price for the HR34 + a new dish/LNB (not including a SWM multi switch, inverter, nor installation) is kind of hard to swallow.

So, any "help" from DTV is obviously nice. The needed stuff for the HR34 switchover is obviously not going to be drastically lower than it is for full retail, but every little bit helps. That price of entry has been their stumbling block for years now.

My father spent part of the day trying to get the hr10-250 to work but couldn't get a signal. I suppose I'll have to trudge up there and give it a shot if it really should work. Oh, and they are in an OTA "dead zone." There is a mountain blocking their signal, so that's just not going to change any time soon.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Side note: Huh, my wife is from Binghamton. Small world.

Edited by bakerzdosen, 05 January 2012 - 02:54 AM.
side note

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,938 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:10 AM

I'm curious what the rumors are on the HR34... I'm kinda thinking somewhere between $99 and $159 (12 x $20 worth of credits).

$299 = a long, painful swap for me to another provider.

One question, do other providers offer a box with similar capabilities?

#13 OFFLINE   bakerzdosen

bakerzdosen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

It was my understanding that there was nothing else like it on the market. Now, the VIP 922 is pretty cool in its own right, but it still only has 2 tuners (well, and one ATSC/OTA tuner.)

#14 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

It depends on what you mean by "similar capabilities". In our home, we use "multi-room" only within the same room. I'd just buy the 4-tuner Tivo and put it on lifetime. It's astronomically stupidly priced but by switching providers (to Comcast or U-verse), I'd save more than $1000 over the promotional period which would cover the cost.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...