Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Disappearing Queue Bug?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   haslip

haslip

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

Three times now, on my new DirecTV tivo, my queue (live buffer) has disappeared.

Let me state that I am NOT a TIVO novice, I have had a TIVO since the very first 9 hour SD tivo back in the day.

I know all the ways that you can release your queue (live buffer), like by changing channels, etc.

But this bug, I have never seen before. You have 30 minutes of queue, and you are perhaps in the middle of that queue, and suddenly, the screen goes black, and you are brought to live tv, with no green queue left.

The TIVO was not suddenly recording a program on the same channel, as I have seen that be the cause. Nope, this is just a sudden loss of queue for apparently no reason.

I do know that at some early morning hour TIVO will change to something like channel 1, to download a "note" or video for the "commercial", and this is not the case either.

Other than this, i have seen no other issues, like you might if the hard drive was failing or something. So, maybe its just a bad unit, or has some bad sectors, who knows, in which case, maybe I get a new unit.

So, curious, as to whether anybody else has had this strange occurance?

Edited by haslip, 04 January 2012 - 06:39 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

By queue you mean the live buffer, right?

I haven't seen this myself... has anyone else?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

I think there may be more than this one bug with the live buffer. Quite often, if I've been playing recorded material and go to live there is no buffer at all. Even if I let the live program keep running, a buffer never builds.

It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough that I've noticed it quite a few times.

#4 OFFLINE   haslip

haslip

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:52 PM

happened again.

scenario. recorded Saints-Lions game. started watching it an hour after it started from my "now playing" list. all was good until the recording end time finished.

i was still 45 minutes behind, but the recording ending inexplicably knocked me out of watching the recording and to live TV. which sucked because it ruined the game as I saw the score with 3 more TDs tacked on.

going back to the now playing proved it all to be there. so why do recording starts and stops boot me out of both queue ir even watching a previously recorded show.

you would think if it was a software bug others would see this by now? i mean folks in here start watching a program thats still recording all the time, right??

seems like it would be a wierd thing to happen because of faulty hardware, but if I am the only one seeing this then I guess I should call Directv and get my unit swapped.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

I know that our friends at DIRECTV are very interested in trying to duplicate this issue. If anyone else has seen it, please post here.

haslip, have you tried rebooting your TiVo?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   macq

macq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

haslip, yes, that sounds very odd. Starting to watch a recording while it is still recording is very common. I'm surprised many others aren't complaining that they can't finish watching it to the end without interruption as you describe.

I don't have my THR22 yet so no experience personally.

Just curious ... Does it matter whether you start to watch an in-progress recording from the Now Playing list or whether you start watching it from the tuner? Does this happen every time you start to watch a recording in-progress?

#7 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

I think there may be more than this one bug with the live buffer. Quite often, if I've been playing recorded material and go to live there is no buffer at all. Even if I let the live program keep running, a buffer never builds.

It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough that I've noticed it quite a few times.

After watching and experimenting a little more, I'm finding that the buffer just doesn't work most of the time. And if you hit PAUSE while in a program that's not buffering, it won't come out of it using any of the motion buttons. You can get out by changing channels, switching tuners or going into the menus, but that still doesn't start the buffer itself.

#8 OFFLINE   SpewHole

SpewHole

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:31 AM

After watching and experimenting a little more, I'm finding that the buffer just doesn't work most of the time. And if you hit PAUSE while in a program that's not buffering, it won't come out of it using any of the motion buttons. You can get out by changing channels, switching tuners or going into the menus, but that still doesn't start the buffer itself.

That happened to me too! It was happening on both tuners, but not at the same time. I was switching between channel 501, 502, and 503 and kept finding different combinations of one tuner tuned to one channel, and the other tuner to another: one or the other would drop the live buffer. I restarted the box and the problem went away so I assumed it was a bug.

But yeah, exact same thing with not being able to unpause. When I paused I saw no live buffer. And the only way to get the channel back to playing live TV was to change the channel or go to a menu and then back.

#9 OFFLINE   ebarden

ebarden

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

I too have the problem of no "buffering" on my THR-22. If I hit pause while I am watching a live show, screen freezes, none of the forward or reverse buttons work, and I have to change channels to unfreeze, then losing the portion I missed while paused.

#10 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

I too have the problem of no "buffering" on my THR-22. If I hit pause while I am watching a live show, screen freezes, none of the forward or reverse buttons work, and I have to change channels to unfreeze, then losing the portion I missed while paused.

Since I was the first to report this, let me say that a reboot appears to have fixed the issue. Haven't seen the problem since last rebooted.

#11 OFFLINE   snut

snut

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

i'm having the same missing buffer issue. will try a reboot.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...