Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Performance vs other HR2x Units?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WB3FFV

WB3FFV

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

I don't have an HR34 yet, but seems enough people have run out and gotten one, I figured possibly by now I could get an opinion.

I have some HR20-700's and some HR22-100 units running here in my home, and I must say that my wife drives me bonkers bitching almost every day about how slow the units respond. Granted I am more tolerant of it, but she expects to hit play, fast forward, or whatever function and see a close to immediate response. Especially with the HR22 in the family room, I have noticed that you can hit something like FF and be running ahead, and when you hit play you can set there and watch it keep on going till the unit catches up. So in general I see what she is bitching about, that it can get horribly sluggish at times.

With this new HR34 out, with five tuners, and a larger drive, you would think they had to build in more horsepower so to speak to handle the loading from running all the services.

So to any on here that were running on HR2x units, and added an HR34 into the mix, after a little runtime, how do the units perform? Are they sluggish at all like is known with the HR2x units, or are they screaming fast to command presses on the remotes?

I think it would be worth the $399 to shut her up, if the unit is a stellar performer by comparison to the other units.

Thoughts, opinions, flames... :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

They are a little slower (right now, but the software is still being worked on) than my HR24, but much faster than my old HR22, which was a slug. My old HR20-700 wasnt to bad. I would say the HR34 right now, is equal or a little faster than the HR20-700 running the HDGUI, and for sure faster if the HR20-700 still has the old SD GUI.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:43 AM

Overall the current performance is ghastly once the unit has settled for 24 hours (worse than my HR20-100!). Not only is it poorly responsive, but the screen updates are slow and ugly too!

However, it appears to be a software problem because it's pretty snappy when first booted.

Ultimately I have to imagine it'll have UI performance similar to an HR24. But not right now.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...