Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power outage during software update. What Happens?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

On a side-note, I noticed on this thread that you use capitals to start a lot of words - why is that?

I think it's his past holding his fingers :), when he did naming music/movies labels. :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

On a side-note, I noticed on this thread that you use capitals to start a lot of words - why is that?

It's just my Style to get your Attention and to accentuate certain words or phrases and it works, got yours didn't it?

I agree that I used to live in Orlando, Fl. and every afternoon you can count on a thunderstorm for a few minutes and I got sick and tired of seeing Reboots so I solved the problem with APC UPS Devices.

Also, though, it is good to feed your espensive electronic devices good clean regulated Power and it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure that one out. :lol:

And yes I have had to replace the battery in my S15 and I am now replacing a battery in my J15 but I also replace the battery in my car when it dies and I keep on driving me car.

VOS do you quit driving your car when the battery dies?
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

So you Never have any Periodic Reboots during a Momentary Power Outage of a second or two which causes you to have to wait 10 minutes or more for the Reboot to Finish??? :)

"Never" no, but maybe twice in four years.
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

Well, VOS you are a Very Fortunate Man because the rest of us mere Mortals have a lot more momentary Power Outages than that. :)
Here's My Setup

#25 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

I must drink the same water as VOS. :D

While I have UPS on multiple units here, and cannot remember the last time any of them came into use...

That said...UPS provides the insurance of avoiding significant power-related problems. It only takes one time to lose a hard drive or some other hardware to regret not having a UPS.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#26 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

I must drink the same water as VOS. :D

While I have UPS on multiple units here, and cannot remember the last time any of them came into use...

That said...UPS provides the insurance of avoiding significant power-related problems. It only takes one time to lose a hard drive or some other hardware to regret not having a UPS.

Well, you Never have the problems that a lot of us have so it would figure that you wouldn't have Rebooting Problems.

That said you won't to do everything possible to keep your DVR and it's hard drive healthy and that is why a UPS helps by giving it clean regulated power and keeping it from having a sudden power shutdown which along with Heat is the hardest thing on a hard drive.

Also, it is very annoying when you are watching something such as a Great Football Game or a Golf Tournament and now you find yourself waiting 10 minutes or longer for the DVR to finish it's Rebooting Process which can be easily avoided by a UPS.

A couple of weeks ago we had a Severe Storm headed for Peachtree City and my lights flickered but my DVRs did Not Reboot. I am a Happy Camper!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#27 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

I just looked at the log for one of my UPS's. In the past 24 weeks it's had four blackouts for a total of 16 minutes, 37 seconds, two over voltage for 10 seconds and 2 under voltage for 40 seconds. It's always a little strange when the power goes out, the lights and other stuff go off but the TV and STB's are still on and working.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#28 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

I just looked at the log for one of my UPS's. In the past 24 weeks it's had four blackouts for a total of 16 minutes, 37 seconds, two over voltage for 10 seconds and 2 under voltage for 40 seconds. It's always a little strange when the power goes out, the lights and other stuff go off but the TV and STB's are still on and working.

And then when you realize that your DVR didn't Reboot you are a Happy Camper no longer being driven mad by bad weather and in Florida during the summer it happens every day and also Electric Companies have been know to play games with Brownouts for a while in different sections of the city.

No Longer A Problem!!! :D
Here's My Setup

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

Well, VOS you are a Very Fortunate Man because the rest of us mere Mortals have a lot more momentary Power Outages than that. :)

I've got PG&E and except for a recent 49ers game, they seem to only have problems with gas pipelines. :eek2:

Posted Image
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

It's just my Style to get your Attention and to accentuate certain words or phrases and it works, got yours didn't it?

I agree that I used to live in Orlando, Fl. and every afternoon you can count on a thunderstorm for a few minutes and I got sick and tired of seeing Reboots so I solved the problem with APC UPS Devices.

Also, though, it is good to feed your espensive electronic devices good clean regulated Power and it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure that one out. :lol:

And yes I have had to replace the battery in my S15 and I am now replacing a battery in my J15 but I also replace the battery in my car when it dies and I keep on driving me car.

VOS do you quit driving your car when the battery dies?

So you keep your car when the battery dies? Hmm interesting idea. Have to think about that;)

Don "WOW! this explains all those older cars on the road then:p" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#31 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

So you keep your car when the battery dies? Hmm interesting idea. Have to think about that;)

Don "WOW! this explains all those older cars on the road then:p" Bolton

Yes, and I don't throw away my flashlight when their batteries die or anything else that uses a Battery but that is just me!!! :lol:

I've got over $80,000 in my Home Entertainment Systems in my house and I choose to Protect them as good as I can.

Not saying that anyone else should buy expensive APC UPS Devices as I have done but it is like buying a Gun or Insurance, it does you No Good until you need to use it!!!
Here's My Setup

#32 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

....Not saying that anyone else should buy expensive APC UPS Devices as I have done but it is like buying a Gun or Insurance, it does you No Good until you need to use it!!!

D* recently replaced my 2 refurb DVR's with new HR24 DVR's. The quickest way to kill a hard drive is repeated and abrupt on and off cycles. A quick way to kill an LCD TV is pulling the plug before it cools down. I agree with you Richierich; a UPS is cheap insurance. I have all my network and electronics protected with APC UPS systems. I protect my family with John Browning and Colt. Have a great day!

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#33 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

D* recently replaced my 2 refurb DVR's with new HR24 DVR's. The quickest way to kill a hard drive is repeated and abrupt on and off cycles. A quick way to kill an LCD TV is pulling the plug before it cools down. I agree with you Richierich; a UPS is cheap insurance. I have all my network and electronics protected with APC UPS systems. I protect my family with John Browning and Colt. Have a great day!

Thank you for your Post as I agree totally!!!

I Protect my Family with Mr. Smith & Wesson and Mr. Colt and my 16 Shot Paraordinance 45 Caliber!!!
Here's My Setup

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal

Or so the saying goes...
A.K.A VOS

#35 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

Also, I forgot to add that I have a Shorty Colt AR15 Fully Automatic Machine Gun that combined with a 500 Round Twin Cylindrical Magazine is a Hoot to Shoot!!! :lol:

Can't be too careful and safe nowadays can we??? :hurah:
Here's My Setup

#36 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Also, I forgot to add that I have a Shorty Colt AR15 Fully Automatic Machine Gun that combined with a 500 Round Twin Cylindrical Magazine is a Hoot to Shoot!!! :lol:

Can't be too careful and safe nowadays can we??? :hurah:

Boys and their toys...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#37 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

If the update was writing to the eprom when it failed the reciever will either not power up, reboot cycle, or display an OSD.

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

If the update was writing to the eprom when it failed the reciever will either not power up, reboot cycle, or display an OSD.

For that case, bootloader is the rescue. It will tune to right tp and DL current FW - no need OSD at all.

spam firewall