Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Double Checking My Logic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TheGreek

TheGreek

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:20 PM

** I did hours of research and due diligence before posting.

I have a DECABB1R0 (Black BB DECA) in my office next to my router. In my living room the coax plugs directly into my HR-24 with MRV. Yesterday I purchased a green-label SWM (splitter) so that I could send 1 line into the HR-24 and the second into another DECABB1R0 and then into a switch so I could plug in some other components.

All the setups I've seen use a DECA1MR01 (white) on the receiver side with a PI. Is my logic flawed that a DECA is a DECA. Black or white they do the same thing and rather than buying a DECA1MR01 with a PI I can just buy a second DECABB1R0 for the receiver/split side?

Thanks in advance and please forgive me if I messed up the terminology. I'm new to the whole satellite world (about 6 hours).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

the HR24 has a built in DECA and will disable it if the ethernet port is connected

so you shouldn't need a white deca

so you should be fine with using a DECABB to link the deca system to your network and won't need a white deca

the White deca with a PI as far as I can tell is just an improvised black deca

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

** I did hours of research and due diligence before posting.

I have a DECABB1R0 (Black BB DECA) in my office next to my router. In my living room the coax plugs directly into my HR-24 with MRV. Yesterday I purchased a green-label SWM (splitter) so that I could send 1 line into the HR-24 and the second into another DECABB1R0 and then into a switch so I could plug in some other components.

All the setups I've seen use a DECA1MR01 (white) on the receiver side with a PI. Is my logic flawed that a DECA is a DECA. Black or white they do the same thing and rather than buying a DECA1MR01 with a PI I can just buy a second DECABB1R0 for the receiver/split side?

Thanks in advance and please forgive me if I messed up the terminology. I'm new to the whole satellite world (about 6 hours).

While using another DECA this way, isn't "supported" [by DirecTV] you shouldn't have a problem.
The black one comes with a PI, while the white ones are intended to be connected to the receivers that don't have a DECA internally, and get powered from the receiver. If you use a white DECA, there is a PI made for them, if not being powered by a receiver.
"DECA is DECA", until you find the wireless DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   TheGreek

TheGreek

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

Thank you both for your reply.

VeryOldSchool thank you for all your posts. Last night I read thread after thread in an attempt to understand my options and VeryOldSchool was in most of them. I appreciate your commitment to the community.

For the sake of people who may search this in the future let me repeat.

A Deca is a Deca....white or black they are the same. The black DECA's come with power where the white ones may need a PI if not powered by the receiver. The new HR-24's have built in DECA's. If you want to put a switch by your TV so you can plug devices into the internet you'll need to get a green label splitter (SWM). One wire from the splitter will go directly into your HR24 (then you're all set for TV). The second wire will go into your DECA device (white with PI or the Black Deca). From there you will have an ethernet cable to with as you would like.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

Thank you both for your reply.

VeryOldSchool thank you for all your posts. Last night I read thread after thread in an attempt to understand my options and VeryOldSchool was in most of them. I appreciate your commitment to the community.

For the sake of people who may search this in the future let me repeat.

A Deca is a Deca....white or black they are the same. The black DECA's come with power where the white ones may need a PI if not powered by the receiver. The new HR-24's have built in DECA's. If you want to put a switch by your TV so you can plug devices into the internet you'll need to get a green label splitter (SWM). One wire from the splitter will go directly into your HR24 (then you're all set for TV). The second wire will go into your DECA device (white with PI or the Black Deca). From there you will have an ethernet cable to with as you would like.

You got it perfectly. Just to reiterate though, hooking up your other components to use the DECA is not supported by DirecTV. If you have an issue with MRV or other aspects regarding connectivity of your receivers, be sure to disconnect that aspect of your network completely in order to troubleshoot and before you call DirecTV.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

Before this gets to far out of hand, 1) you do not need a spliter of any kind on the sat coax as that does not connect to the network directly. 2) If you connect a network switch on the either cable between the decca and the reciever, 90% of the time you will have problems with all the network devices that are connected to that switch.

Yes, it may work, but about the time you really wish you had the internet, it will crash.

This also holds true for the 610 wireless kit from DTV.

If you are going to connect other device to the internet that are in the same location as your reciever, then do one of two things.
1) try and run a either cable to that location then use a switch.
2) get a wireless router, configure for bride mode conneted to your main wireless router
leaving the network connection to your DTV reciever out of the picture.

The #1 connection type is the hard wire with wireless #2
again, leave the reciever alone.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Before this gets to far out of hand, 1) you do not need a spliter of any kind on the sat coax as that does not connect to the network directly. 2) If you connect a network switch on the either cable between the decca and the reciever, 90% of the time you will have problems with all the network devices that are connected to that switch.

Yes, it may work, but about the time you really wish you had the internet, it will crash.

This also holds true for the 610 wireless kit from DTV.

If you are going to connect other device to the internet that are in the same location as your reciever, then do one of two things.
1) try and run a either cable to that location then use a switch.
2) get a wireless router, configure for bride mode conneted to your main wireless router
leaving the network connection to your DTV reciever out of the picture.

The #1 connection type is the hard wire with wireless #2
again, leave the reciever alone.

And though "I thought I knew..." you've got me completely :confused:

The topic was DECA, which needs a coax, or needs to be fed off a splitter if the receiver has the only coax coming into the location. Only the Wireless CCK, doesn't require a splitter or a separate coax.
Wireless for MRV isn't a good idea, but for anything off the internet, shouldn't be a problem.

"I don't think" this has a 90% screwed up mode:
Posted Image
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall