Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Denon 4311CI controlled power strip?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hobie346

hobie346

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

I replaced an older Denon 4308 AVR with a 4311 unit only to learn that it doesn't have the switched AC outlet. I used that outlet to power my subwoofer amp.

So now I'm looking for an external power strip that can be controlled by the trigger out jack that outputs a 12v/150ma signal.

Does anyone know of a cheap to moderately priced power strip?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

You can get semi-fancy power strips that do the same thing without using the trigger. They have a "master" socket that senses current flow, which then powers-on several "slave" sockets.

Keith

#3 OFFLINE   hobie346

hobie346

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

I've heard of those type of power strips; did a Google search but none showed up. I did find a $10 12V power relay that would work - but it would use the trigger out.

#4 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Wow, you were using the switched outlet for a sub? Those outlets typically have a fairly limited power rating. But I guess it didn't pose a problem for you. ;) I had the same issue when I switched out my previous Onkyo to the 4311 (though I'm only using it for low power things like fans and HDMI splitters). I got a Smartstrip to deal with the lack of a switched outlet in the 4311.

Your sub doesn't have it's own automatic switching?
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#5 OFFLINE   hobie346

hobie346

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

Wow, you were using the switched outlet for a sub? Those outlets typically have a fairly limited power rating. But I guess it didn't pose a problem for you. ;) I had the same issue when I switched out my previous Onkyo to the 4311 (though I'm only using it for low power things like fans and HDMI splitters). I got a Smartstrip to deal with the lack of a switched outlet in the 4311.

Your sub doesn't have it's own automatic switching?

I'm not sure what you mean by "it's own automatic switching" but mine does go into power down mode when there is no input signal which is fine but I would rather have the power shut off to the sub amp (not looking to pay PG&E and more than I'm already paying) when I power off the main amp.

I when to Fry's last night and picked up a smart switch and all is fine now.

#6 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "it's own automatic switching" but mine does go into power down mode when there is no input signal

That is what I meant. :)

#7 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,435 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "it's own automatic switching" but mine does go into power down mode when there is no input signal which is fine but I would rather have the power shut off to the sub amp (not looking to pay PG&E and more than I'm already paying) when I power off the main amp.

I when to Fry's last night and picked up a smart switch and all is fine now.

The amount of power consumed by the sub when it shuts off is minimal- typically around one to three watts, or about that drawn by an incandescent night light and almost certainly less than that drawn by your receiver when it's in standby. Definitely no need for a smart switch.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#8 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

The amount of power consumed by the sub when it shuts off is minimal- typically around one to three watts, or about that drawn by an incandescent night light and almost certainly less than that drawn by your receiver when it's in standby. Definitely no need for a smart switch.

Indeed. It probably only costs a couple bucks a year to keep a sub on standby. It would cost me a lot more just to GET to Frys, not to mention the cost of the smartswitch itself. I'm sure the sub, receiver, and/or smartswitch will be dead or gone before that ever pays for itself. ;)

spam firewall