Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Who wants Directv to UPDATE the over air guides

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

Directv is no longer adding channels to its over air guides. So that keeps us from being able to see new sub channels. Who wants it updated, please post your response and channels you are missing and the market. Maybe Directv will see how many people want this updated.

Greenville NC

WITN-DT 7.3 RADAR
WFXI-DT 8.2 BOUNCE
WCTI-DT 12.2 LIVE WELL
WYDO-DT 14.2 BOUNCE

RALEIGH NC

WLFL-DT 22.2 COUNTRY TV
WRAY-DT 30.3 TCT FAMILY
WRAY-DT 30.4 TCT LA FUENTE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

This has been beat to death and the consensus that there are some performance limitations pretty much makes this a fools errand. Noone is saying they would not like them to continue to add OTA stations to the guide, but if they currently cant, why keep beating it to death?

#3 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

I recently e-mailed DirecTV's support for the Detroit market about four new neighboring Canadian stations that went digital/HD in September, which come in fine via antenna on my tv's tuner, but I can't watch or record them using my AM21:

CBET 9.1/9.1 (CBC) Windsor, Ontario
CHWI 16.1/16.1 (CTV2) Wheatley, Ontario
CIII 22.1/22.1 (Global) Stevenson, Ontario
CICO 32.1/32.1 (TVOntario) Windsor, Ontario

It's kind of a pain to switch to the tv tuner to watch these stations, and impossible to convince friends to switch to DirecTV when they can't record "Hockey Night in Canada" on CBC-9. All area cable companies offer at least some of these Canadian channels, and a recent posting from this area on another board advises that even Dish Network's "OTA module" is able to tune/record these Canadian stations:

http://www.satellite...n-stations.html

All four Canadian stations and their full programming data are already in the Tribune/Zap2It.com database, so it should just be a matter of DirecTV updating its station listing for metro Detroit so we can tune these stations with our AM21s.

So far, I've had a few back-and-forth e-mails with various DirecTV support people who seem very kind/courteous, but don't appear to have any true understanding of the problem (saying things like not being able to provide service outside the U.S., not being able to offer Canadian stations via satellite, etc.). Clearly, I haven't yet reached someone with a full understanding about how the AM21 works or its relationship to the Tribune/Zap2It.com database, although the last e-mail did say they were pushing the matter up another level, so we'll see.

We have a few other local/low-power OTA stations in this area that are also missing from the Detroit AM21 station listing:

WDWO-CD 18.1/18.1 TCT/Cornerstone
WDWO-CD 18.2/18.2 TCT-HD
WDWO-CD 18.3/18.3 TCT Family
WDWO-CD 18.4/18.4 La Fuente
WUDT-LP 8.1/23.1 Daystar
W47DL-D 47.1/47.1 TBN
W47DL-D 47.2/47.2 JCTV
W47DL-D 47.3/47.3 Smile of a Child
W47DL-D 47.4/47.4 Church Channel
W47DL-D 47.5/47.5 Enlace USA

#4 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

CCarncross:

I think this issue is getting some renewed interest because of the recent reports that the new HR34 receiver, when coupled to the AM21, actually will scan for OTA stations, in addition to still having the two zip code entries.

http://forums.direct...mentID=10989507

If guide data limitations in the receivers are indeed a remaining issue, perhaps the AM21 (even with present main receivers) could at least tune the additional stations without including programming data, which would be helpful.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

So then the issue is not updating the OTA guide, but using the same code in the other HR models so the AM21 will also scan for OTA channels instead of just use the database based on zipcode. Of course, when there are channels that are in the guide with no guide data, then everyone complains that there is no guide data and its useless for recording if there is no guide data. Bottom line, they can't make people happy no matter what they do, everyone wants it exactly the way they want it, not the way a majority group may want it..if everyone got their way there would be 100 screens of customizable options on the HD DVR's to try to please everyone...obviously it would make them unusable for the masses.

#6 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

So then the issue is not updating the OTA guide, but using the same code in the other HR models so the AM21 will also scan for OTA channels instead of just use the database based on zipcode. Of course, when there are channels that are in the guide with no guide data, then everyone complains that there is no guide data and its useless for recording if there is no guide data. Bottom line, they can't make people happy no matter what they do, everyone wants it exactly the way they want it, not the way a majority group may want it..if everyone got their way there would be 100 screens of customizable options on the HD DVR's to try to please everyone...obviously it would make them unusable for the masses.

Many electronic devices today have a top tier set of menu items for simple tasks and a means to go advanced. So the one hundred sub menu items could be a one button advanced push.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#7 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

Directv should audit its guide listings in each market. There are alot of channels that dont exist anymore.
In my market I have 6 pbs subchannels that are not used anymore. 2 ION channels that are not used anymore. This would free up capacity. If this was done nationwide Im sure there would be alot of free'd up capacity.

#8 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,684 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

Also being discussed in the Programming Forum here ....
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=134005
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,862 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:31 AM

I recently e-mailed DirecTV's support for the Detroit market about four new neighboring Canadian stations that went digital/HD in September, which come in fine via antenna on my tv's tuner, but I can't watch or record them using my AM21:

CBET 9.1/9.1 (CBC) Windsor, Ontario
CHWI 16.1/16.1 (CTV2) Wheatley, Ontario
CIII 22.1/22.1 (Global) Stevenson, Ontario
CICO 32.1/32.1 (TVOntario) Windsor, Ontario

It's kind of a pain to switch to the tv tuner to watch these stations, and impossible to convince friends to switch to DirecTV when they can't record "Hockey Night in Canada" on CBC-9. All area cable companies offer at least some of these Canadian channels, and a recent posting from this area on another board advises that even Dish Network's "OTA module" is able to tune/record these Canadian stations:

http://www.satellite...n-stations.html

All four Canadian stations and their full programming data are already in the Tribune/Zap2It.com database, so it should just be a matter of DirecTV updating its station listing for metro Detroit so we can tune these stations with our AM21s.

So far, I've had a few back-and-forth e-mails with various DirecTV support people who seem very kind/courteous, but don't appear to have any true understanding of the problem (saying things like not being able to provide service outside the U.S., not being able to offer Canadian stations via satellite, etc.). Clearly, I haven't yet reached someone with a full understanding about how the AM21 works or its relationship to the Tribune/Zap2It.com database, although the last e-mail did say they were pushing the matter up another level, so we'll see.

We have a few other local/low-power OTA stations in this area that are also missing from the Detroit AM21 station listing:

WDWO-CD 18.1/18.1 TCT/Cornerstone
WDWO-CD 18.2/18.2 TCT-HD
WDWO-CD 18.3/18.3 TCT Family
WDWO-CD 18.4/18.4 La Fuente
WUDT-LP 8.1/23.1 Daystar
W47DL-D 47.1/47.1 TBN
W47DL-D 47.2/47.2 JCTV
W47DL-D 47.3/47.3 Smile of a Child
W47DL-D 47.4/47.4 Church Channel
W47DL-D 47.5/47.5 Enlace USA

Do not expect Directv to ever add stations that aren't a USA channel. EVER.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,862 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

I don't think they have even stopped adding sub channels. maybe in a couple areas if they simply have way to many, but they don't seem to have stopped adding them everywhere.

Allowing for scanning would eliminate all these issues though, that's for sure.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

I don't think they have even stopped adding sub channels.

It was verified in the first look thread for the AM21N that they have stopped.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

Yes, it is true... and given the truly tiny percentage of DIRECTV OTA users, and the even smaller percentage of those who want subchannels, it's not likely to change.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...