Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

courtesy of zats not funny. DISH to unveil XIP now being called Hopper at CES. http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-01/dish-network-to-unveil-hopper-whole-home-dvr/

Beyond those compelling, albeit anticipated, whole-home functionality, the Hopper introduces a DVR “catch up” feature they’ve christened Primetime Anytime. Basically, one of the three tuners appears to be co-opted to record local affiliate programming (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) between 8PM – 11PM with programming retained for about a week. Clever! Seeya, Hulu Plus? But I wonder if this sort of automated solution will raise the ire of broadcasters – who’d rather license “catch up” services.

Lastly, the article indicates that the artist formerly known DISH Network will be dropping the “Network” and going solely by DISH (along with a new logo) in regards to marketing. Which, I suppose, isn’t entirely surprising given their (questionable) acquisition of Blockbuster along with other non-satellite TV irons in the fire.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

Does it have PIP?
Thank you and
Best of luck

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

That catch-up feature would need more than one tuner to record all the major networks in prime time... So I am not sure how that works... Also, how long before someone complains about not being able to use "their" tuner.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

You'd think the catch-up would need 4 tuners, one for each network.

#5 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Catch-up? That's how I've used DVRs for years.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

courtesy of zats not funny. DISH to unveil XIP now being called Hopper at CES. http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-01/dish-network-to-unveil-hopper-whole-home-dvr/

Beyond those compelling, albeit anticipated, whole-home functionality, the Hopper introduces a DVR “catch up” feature they’ve christened Primetime Anytime. Basically, one of the three tuners appears to be co-opted to record local affiliate programming (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) between 8PM – 11PM with programming retained for about a week. Clever! Seeya, Hulu Plus? But I wonder if this sort of automated solution will raise the ire of broadcasters – who’d rather license “catch up” services.

Lastly, the article indicates that the artist formerly known DISH Network will be dropping the “Network” and going solely by DISH (along with a new logo) in regards to marketing. Which, I suppose, isn’t entirely surprising given their (questionable) acquisition of Blockbuster along with other non-satellite TV irons in the fire.

It all sounds cool but I don't get the description of that catch up feature...

Uh....

I have two ViP DVR's now in order to have four tuners when I need to record from four networks at the same time. As it is, I spend considerable time making sure I get whole programs, what with those 1 & 2 minute scheduled overruns which overlap competing programming.

I hope Dish doesn't overreach with a goal too complex for to be adequately written in code or creating a feature too constraining to seasoned customers.

Regarding branding "Dish" by dropping "Network" just as it's folding Blockbuster into its fold, Netflix is being called a "network" by analysts:

...The service is actually the 2nd most-watched 'network' behind only CBS.

Conceptually "channel" can mean "to convey through or as through a channel" so IMHO they may have been better off to drop the "Dish" as they expand their means of channeling programming to customers. Or maybe "Dishbuster" ... oh, that doesn't sound too good.:D

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

only one tuner needed since all the local big 4 networks are on a single transponder, it just records the entire transponder using a single tuner.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#8 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

Does it have PIP?
Thank you and
Best of luck

#9 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Does it have PIP?

most likely also sling capability and a 2 TB disk.

#10 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

most likely also sling capability and a 2 TB disk.

Thank you :)
Thank you and
Best of luck

#11 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

CES: Dish Poised To Unveil Wireless Broadband Plans, Multiroom DVR: Reports
'Hopper' DVR to Feature 2 TB Drive and Three Tuners, According to Dealerscope
By Todd Spangler -- Multichannel News, 1/5/2012 4:14:06 PM

Dish Network is planning to launch a broadband satellite service this summer to 8 million people in the U.S. and will debut a three-tuner, multiroom digital video recorder, according to reports that leaked out ahead of the satellite operator's press conference set for next week's Consumer Electronics Show.

Remainder of article here: http://www.multichan...DVR_Reports.php

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 06 January 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

That catch-up feature would need more than one tuner to record all the major networks in prime time... So I am not sure how that works... Also, how long before someone complains about not being able to use "their" tuner.

They could dedicate a transponder to a special channel to push all the shows similiar to how DIRECTV does On Demand PPV to the box. However the storage for all of that would be huge so we'll have to see what they really mean if this report is true.

#13 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

Comming Fall 2013!!!! mark my words, or at least working at 80% as advertised fall 2013!!!! Dish prove me wrong lol

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,840 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

You'll see it at CES 2012 first - they're jumping out own pants trying to make new FW to show 813's features there in a few days - look how often new FW versions coming out woodwork for the 813 at dishuser.org site log.

#15 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

They're all over this.......http://www.satellite...coming-ces.html
Thank you and
Best of luck

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,840 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

There is nothing about FW updates frequency nor they knows what chip the box is using ... why you diverting to other site ?

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

They're all over this.......http://www.satellite...coming-ces.html

Yeah, I've read the stuff there - one transponder, dump everything onto the large hard drive, parse later. It's an interesting idea that should work in theory. I don't want to be an Alpha tester when they release this thing to customers though. I can't even imagine what the code and processing is going to look like when from one box that's recording four broadcast networks, Dad's in the basement watching an NFL game from a cable channel, Mom's watching a recorded movie in the home theater, Sis is watching a recorded "90210" in her room, Junior is watching a PPV.... Well you get the idea.

I'd just like the code in my old 722 to not screw up guide updates since they added the Blockbuster menu.

I'm sure it can be done. I just have no idea who's going to provide the ongoing support when Dish marketing insists on modifying a menu on a Hopper they just finally got working well.:rolleyes:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#18 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

There is nothing about FW updates frequency nor they knows what chip the box is using ... why you diverting to other site ?

There's a hell of a lot more discussion there then here about Hopper. Am I breaking some rule or something?:grin:
Thank you and
Best of luck

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

You're not breaking any rules... if you want to discuss this here more, please do so.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

The info available so far sounds pretty good. I think the price is probably going to be steep for existing subscribers though.

I currently lease a 622 and a 722. I also own two 612's. One Hopper and four Joeys would give me most of what I currently have. But at what cost?

I also would worry a bit about having all my recordings on one hard drive. One of the reasons I have 4 DVR's is that I record most things I care about on two devices. I've lost hard drives several times and while most shows can be found on iTunes or elsewhere online it can be a hassle. Especially when I timeshift entire seasons.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...