Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

There's a hell of a lot more discussion there then here about Hopper. Am I breaking some rule or something?:grin:

Please outline a few items for us, here (what we missed).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

I wonder how they will charge for this? I assume that each Joey will cost more per month. If so, I'll be happy with sticking with my 722K.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#23 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

Please outline a few items for us, here (what we missed).

So let me get this straight......putting me on the spot is supposed to make you feel better about your snarky comment. I'm no expert, I am just interested and I actually use the equipment... the often maligned vip922.
The reaction at "the other site" as you put it is far more positive concerning the new system. Are you threatened by Sat.Guys? I know Scott was once here, left and went on to form his own....?
I read a lot of negativity here and or suspicion. The technology is moving foreword wether you like it or not.

I was innocently reacting to what I read over there......24 pages and counting compared to your ONE. If this site does not want links be man enough to say so.....If you want to gleam more information about Hopper go the http://www.satellite...coming-ces.html and sift through the discussion. Personally I was interested in PIP and OTA and when and how much. I get my news from multiple sources. I believe multiple sources gives multiple points of view. Clearly you have one...and I have more......:grin: Ya know P. Smith.... you really don't make me feel very welcome here.......

Edited by 356B, 06 January 2012 - 11:49 AM.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#24 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

It was just an admission to SHARE your knowledge HERE; you got wrong turn, buddy ... sorry.

#25 OFFLINE   DavidMi

DavidMi

Legend

• Banned User
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

It was just an admission to SHARE your knowledge HERE; you got wrong turn, buddy ... sorry.

I really wish I could understand what you were saying, all you post is gobbildy gook and you expect everyone to know what your talking about.

Please talk english to us and maybe we will understand. Look what you wrote above, what does it mean?
David -
My Equipment -
Directv HR24 - I subscribe to Directv JUST for N3D!
Dish Network 922 / 722K
Panasonic 3D HDTV

#26 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

I was wondering the same about price. Maybe in a while it'll be a free upgrade (except of course for another 2 yr committment). That's how I ended up with my 722k

I wonder how they will charge for this? I assume that each Joey will cost more per month. If so, I'll be happy with sticking with my 722K.

#27 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

It all sounds cool but I don't get the description of that catch up feature...

Uh....

I have two ViP DVR's now in order to have four tuners when I need to record from four networks at the same time. As it is, I spend considerable time making sure I get whole programs, what with those 1 & 2 minute scheduled overruns which overlap competing programming.

I hope Dish doesn't overreach with a goal too complex for to be adequately written in code or creating a feature too constraining to seasoned customers.

Regarding branding "Dish" by dropping "Network" just as it's folding Blockbuster into its fold, Netflix is being called a "network" by analysts: Conceptually "channel" can mean "to convey through or as through a channel" so IMHO they may have been better off to drop the "Dish" as they expand their means of channeling programming to customers. Or maybe "Dishbuster" ... oh, that doesn't sound too good.:D

That's interesting as my VIP722k/wMT2 has four tuners(2OTA+2 Satellite) and I can record 4 programs at one time(while watching a previously recorded program.;):D

#28 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

most likely also sling capability and a 2 TB disk.

I wonder if the price of the 922 will go down when this new receiver comes next year?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#29 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

That's interesting as my VIP722k/wMT2 has four tuners(2OTA+2 Satellite) and I can record 4 programs at one time(while watching a previously recorded program.;):D

Yes, you can. I can't because I can't get OTA.

What's interesting about the Hopper - and this is based on speculative discussion mostly on that other site - is that it's going to record four HD broadcast network channels off the satellite by dumping the four raw streams off one transponder onto the hard drive for future processing (meaning "parsing"). If this is true, it's a whole new approach to the satellite TV receiver system.

That almost eliminates the advantage of having an OTA tuner for recording. Over the long term, assuming it's true and they can get the system to work, it will reduce the number of Dish customers viewing directly OTA. I'm still pondering the implications.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#30 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

By the way, all I wanted was a satellite tuner module for the 722k/922 similar to the OTA module.

It seemed to me to be a relatively easy thing to accomplish cheaply and would have given Dish boxes with 3 or 4 satellite tuners.

I guess Dish did a whole bunch of marketing research that indicated it was losing out by not having a whole house system.:sure:

Sounds like they'll accomplish that just as the generation that has their nose in tablets and smart phones starts to get some money. I'm sure will want to buy extra TV's so they can break all the habits they've developed and plant their bodies in a way that makes them immobile.:rolleyes:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#31 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

Beyond those compelling, albeit anticipated, whole-home functionality, the Hopper introduces a DVR “catch up” feature they’ve christened Primetime Anytime. Basically, one of the three tuners appears to be co-opted to record local affiliate programming (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) between 8PM – 11PM with programming retained for about a week. Clever! Seeya, Hulu Plus? But I wonder if this sort of automated solution will raise the ire of broadcasters – who’d rather license “catch up” services.

This is great for resolving timer conflicts and pushes viewers into the "same day +7" ratings window. Since I always have a backlog of shows, that would mean cable viewing would get delayed in favor of network viewing.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#32 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Yes, you can. I can't because I can't get OTA.

What's interesting about the Hopper - and this is based on speculative discussion mostly on that other site - is that it's going to record four HD broadcast network channels off the satellite by dumping the four raw streams off one transponder onto the hard drive for future processing (meaning "parsing"). If this is true, it's a whole new approach to the satellite TV receiver system.

That almost eliminates the advantage of having an OTA tuner for recording. Over the long term, assuming it's true and they can get the system to work, it will reduce the number of Dish customers viewing directly OTA. I'm still pondering the implications.

Yes I forgot sorry.:o

So far the Hopper does sound very interesting. ;)

#33 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

courtesy of zats not funny. DISH to unveil XIP now being called Hopper at CES. http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-01/dish-network-to-unveil-hopper-whole-home-dvr/

Beyond those compelling, albeit anticipated, whole-home functionality, the Hopper introduces a DVR “catch up” feature they’ve christened Primetime Anytime. Basically, one of the three tuners appears to be co-opted to record local affiliate programming (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) between 8PM – 11PM with programming retained for about a week. Clever! Seeya, Hulu Plus? But I wonder if this sort of automated solution will raise the ire of broadcasters – who’d rather license “catch up” services.

Lastly, the article indicates that the artist formerly known DISH Network will be dropping the “Network” and going solely by DISH (along with a new logo) in regards to marketing. Which, I suppose, isn’t entirely surprising given their (questionable) acquisition of Blockbuster along with other non-satellite TV irons in the fire.

My one suggestion for Dish Network's name change is to put an exclamation point at the end of the word,so it would be...DISH!.

I would also like to see the Hopper to be able to accept Dish Network's MT2(Dual Tuner OTA)Module,then it would be 5 tuners(3 SAT+2OTA).;)

If the Hopper had that I would definitely want one!.:D

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

My one suggestion for Dish Network's name change is to put an exclamation point at the end of the word,so it would be...DISH!.

I would also like to see the Hopper to be able to accept Dish Network's MT2(Dual Tuner OTA)Module,then it would be 5 tuners(3 SAT+2OTA).;)

If the Hopper had that I would definitely want one!.:D

On FCC pictures, the 813 has no place for MT-2. But rumors are it would be USB connected separate box (ala DTV).

Edited by P Smith, 07 January 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

It all sounds cool but I don't get the description of that catch up feature...

Uh....

I have two ViP DVR's now in order to have four tuners when I need to record from four networks at the same time. As it is, I spend considerable time making sure I get whole programs, what with those 1 & 2 minute scheduled overruns which overlap competing programming.

I hope Dish doesn't overreach with a goal too complex for to be adequately written in code or creating a feature too constraining to seasoned customers.

Regarding branding "Dish" by dropping "Network" just as it's folding Blockbuster into its fold, Netflix is being called a "network" by analysts: Conceptually "channel" can mean "to convey through or as through a channel" so IMHO they may have been better off to drop the "Dish" as they expand their means of channeling programming to customers. Or maybe "Dishbuster" ... oh, that doesn't sound too good.:D

What if I don't like network TV? Can one turn that feature off?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#36 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

What if I don't like network TV? Can one turn that feature off?

according to Scott over at satguys, yes.

#37 OFFLINE   filefly

filefly

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

I wonder if the price of the 922 will go down when this new receiver comes next year?

The 922 isn't available for upgrades until the BBMP software rolls out, but with a new 2-year agreement the 922 will be $0.
All postings I make on this site are my own, and do not represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of my employer, Dish Network.

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

according to Scott over at satguys, yes.

I would say according rumors at sg site ... for sure he don't have it in his hands nor have direct contact with developers. As to marketing ppl who are perhaps feeding him, those ppl are last to know what real device can do in particular version.

#39 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

On FCC pictures, the 813 has no place for MT-2. But rumors are it would be USB connected separate box (ala DTV).

Oh crap! that's all we need,to be like DTV.Let's face it if DISH does not have it(The Hopper) setup where you can record all the Primetime programs OTA(better PQ than satellite),then they definitely screwed the pooch on that receiver too!.:nono2:

Looks like I will be watching my 722k/wMT2 for a long time to come,no Hopper for me!.Thank You Dish!.:ramblinon

#40 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

Who really like primetime TV this much? Serious question, I just don't get it..

Protected By... spam firewall...And...