Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

Who really like primetime TV this much? Serious question, I just don't get it..

Me, if "this much" means enthusiasm for the simultaneous 4-broadcast-channel 1-transponder 1-satellite-receiver recording system, if I can ignore setting timers and skip through to watch what I want without worrying about those 1 and 2 minute scheduled overruns. It frees up two receivers for recording cable, premium, and I guess PBS programming.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

In our house, several network prime time shows are on our 'gotta watch' list LOL
NCIS, NCIS LA, some of the CSI shows, Big Bang Theory., The Good Wife..I could go on, but really, our household watches quite a bit of primetime

Hey, not everything is for everyone so if it's not for you-that's totally understandable

#43 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

How will local ads be inserted?

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#44 OFFLINE   Lt Disher

Lt Disher

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

Kevin

It will be recording from your locals.

#45 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

They will be recorded as part of the combined feed. The feature records the big four networks in HD in your own market. Local commercials included.

#46 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

With Direct already offering a whole house solution with FIVE tuners today, Dish is falling WAY behind the hardware game. I'm happy with Dish, but Directs hardware and the low to no cost of switching, makes it a hard deal to ignore.

It will take Dish a couple of years to get the bugs out of the new hardware/software and by then, the game may be over.

Dish has been losing subs for the last 2 years and Direct has been gaining. Maybe Dish's outdated hardware is part of the reason......
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#47 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

The 20th ranked TV show Dec. 26, 2011-Jan. 1, 2012 had 7,117,000 estimated viewers. Someone is watching.

And as much as I pay for satellite TV it is embarrassing how many of my timers are set for free OTA programming (delivered via satellite). This looks like a good way of catching conflicting shows on competing networks as well as catching the end and beginning of shows that don't quite fit their timeslot (epilogs airing as the next show begins) without needing to choose in advance what program to watch. It will free up the other tuners for non-big 4 and "cable" channels.

#48 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

If the Primetime feature would have create own segments by real start/stop timemarks of programs with good search features ..

#49 ONLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

If the Primetime feature would have create own segments by real start/stop timemarks of programs with good search features ..

That's one of the issues I have with the whole record Prime-time thing. If I can't later trim and transfer what I want to individual recorded events to watch later, I might as well use the timers I already, and quite successfully, use to record shows now. Sometimes it's weeks before I have the time to watch a show and while that might not be an issue for most people, I don't like the idea of shows falling off the back just because I couldn't get to them in time. So, I'd probably turn that feature off and as a side benefit, have less hard drive racking and more space for other uses. That is, provided that the firmware is stable enough.

#50 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

Without knowing specifically how the Prime-Time feature works, its all speculative as to what can be done with it. Once we get the details, presumably. sometime today all should be revealed.
Norm

#51 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

Without knowing specifically how the Prime-Time feature works, its all speculative as to what can be done with it. Once we get the details, presumably. sometime today all should be revealed.

Being the skeptic I am from watching Dish release new equipment, "all should be revealed" really means "all Dish hopes they can get working may be revealed.";)

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#52 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,805 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

The 20th ranked TV show Dec. 26, 2011-Jan. 1, 2012 had 7,117,000 estimated viewers. Someone is watching.

Your numbers are from amongst the broadcast networks only. If you consider the cable shows, you'd be seeing Pawn Stars and Spongebob Squarepants in the top 20.

It probably isn't fair to the broadcast networks to have picked a time interval dominated by reruns.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#53 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,805 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

Prime Time Anytime supposedly records the multiplexed signal from the transponder and then later demuxes the shows out of the that feed.

The data rate has got to be pretty high to send an entire transponder to the hard drive for three hours.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#54 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

Prime Time Anytime supposedly records the multiplexed signal from the transponder and then later demuxes the shows out of the that feed.

The data rate has got to be pretty high to send an entire transponder to the hard drive for three hours.

And I'm sure while keeping the hardware cost down they've completely solved any potential drive-heat problems if one were to use that feature, simultaneously record from other channels on the other two satellite tuners, simultaneously record from two other OTA channels using the USB tuners, and watch a recorded show, all at the same time.:sure:

Yeah, I'm a skeptic.

My AV Setup

#55 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Power is enough to fast parsing PAT/PMTs to select those PIDs what belong to the desired channels. If there are other channels not included in Primetime feature.

#56 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

And I'm sure while keeping the hardware cost down they've completely solved any potential drive-heat problems if one were to use that feature, simultaneously record from other channels on the other two satellite tuners, simultaneously record from two other OTA channels using the USB tuners, and watch a recorded show, all at the same time.:sure:

Yeah, I'm a skeptic.

Who isn't?.;):D

#57 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

With Direct already offering a whole house solution with FIVE tuners today, Dish is falling WAY behind the hardware game. I'm happy with Dish, but Directs hardware and the low to no cost of switching, makes it a hard deal to ignore.

It will take Dish a couple of years to get the bugs out of the new hardware/software and by then, the game may be over.

Dish has been losing subs for the last 2 years and Direct has been gaining. Maybe Dish's outdated hardware is part of the reason......

If you have never had D*,then I say try it,you may like it?.;)

If you are trying to save money?(special deals) there's nothing wrong with that.

As for me?,been there,done that.

#58 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Another issue to the usefulness...

If it truly only records the 8-11 prime time programs... What happens to things per-empted for later airing? What happens on NFL Sundays when one prime time programming has up to an hour delay some evenings?

It would have to be REALLY smart to account for these things and be reliable.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#59 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,103 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

I am still watching network shows from last season. Is there a way to separate out shows recorded with Primetime Anytime to keep them longer than a week?

#60 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

The user gets 250 HD hours or 1000 SD hours (or any mix up to that max) of recording capacity. The Prime-Time recordings go into a separate partition, like pre-loaded VOD, and does not eat into "our" space.

At the press conference they said 53% of prime-time recordings come off the big 4 networks. So if half of our recordings for those hours go into "their" space, that has the effect of freeing up that much more of our space.

For now, PT recordings will only be done for the big 4 even if you have HD PBS and/or HD CW on the same transponder.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

Protected By... spam firewall...And...