Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

Counting 1 GB per one hour of HD in H.264 ]MPEG-4[ - user space is 250 GB from total 2000 GB [2 TB] drive ?! OMG ! 1/8 or 12.5% ....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

Another issue to the usefulness...

If it truly only records the 8-11 prime time programs... What happens to things per-empted for later airing? What happens on NFL Sundays when one prime time programming has up to an hour delay some evenings?

It would have to be REALLY smart to account for these things and be reliable.

Three years ago when I had access to Echostar Engineering personnel, I asked them to look at simply adding a "start late" option like the "start early" and "end late" options that allow you to add minutes to a program.

I explained that the guides they have don't recognize scheduled overruns of one or two minutes which leaves one without the last minute of a show because one can't set the start time of the next show to be a minute or two late. And, I explained, that for many shows the first minute is "previously on" plus credits, so I already skip that.

Should have been simple, at least in my mind. Don't see that option on my 722 or 612.

Basically Dish won't enter into the 21st Century on the multitude of scheduled overruns of less than 5 minutes. So I can't imagine anyone acknowledging NFL game unscheduled overruns like last night's playoff game on CBS of 30 minutes.

If they don't give me a block of three hours for me to watch using fastfforward and skip, the feature is fabulous for the me that watched 1990 broadcast network programming but probably crap for the me that watches 2012 21st Century broadcast network programming.

But that's just my opinion and what do I know. I'm just a customer who above all values viewing whole programs over any technological advance that prevents that, even though I do consider myself a techie.

EDIT: I think I said previously that I'm a skeptic, but just in case, I'm a skeptic.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#63 OFFLINE   ruralruss

ruralruss

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

A couple of links

http://www.engadget....nds-on/#4730562

I notice an eSATA plug on the back, maybe to do backup?

http://www.engadget....ess-conference/

#64 OFFLINE   Grampa67

Grampa67

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

No caller id?

#65 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

No caller id?

Yes, it should
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#66 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

At the press conference they said 53% of prime-time recordings come off the big 4 networks.

Do you know how DISH determine 53 percent? It sounds like DISH is collecting subscriber information from their receivers or it's a limited sample based on website traffic.

For now, PT recordings will only be done for the big 4 even if you have HD PBS and/or HD CW on the same transponder.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the user can select 2 additional channels of their own choosing. So why couldn't the two additional channels be CW and/or PBS?

#67 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

As I mentioned in the other thread, the user can select 2 additional channels of their own choosing. So why couldn't the two additional channels be CW and/or PBS?

I guess these two channels will take next two sat tuners for that.

#68 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

Several questions:

Will you be able to use PTAT to record all 4 networks at other times, such as when they all have their own news?

Will they use the same technology to automatically recognize when you are recording two to four shows on the same transponder and give you "bonus tuners?"

Will you be able to start a PTAT program from the beginning before it finishes recording it?
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#69 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

Good question what required good knowledge of detail functioning of the DVR, but so far at CES they demoing only boxes, not working devices and shows slides. Perhaps someone on CES floor could find an engineer who is working with the device and could answer your question.

#70 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:13 PM

Do you know how DISH determine 53 percent? It sounds like DISH is collecting subscriber information from their receivers or it's a limited sample based on website traffic.

I think it's from what the STB reports to the mother ship.

Of course they can, taking up your 2 other tuners even though it's quite likely they're in the same MUX as the big 4.

Several questions:

Will you be able to use PTAT to record all 4 networks at other times, such as when they all have their own news?

No, only prime-time hours. If there's a sporting event in there, and you have the default "end 1 hr late," the PTAT event will get extended. It wasn't clear to me if that also happens when the sporting event starts before prime time.

Will they use the same technology to automatically recognize when you are recording two to four shows on the same transponder and give you "bonus tuners?"

That would be a pretty slick enhancement, but I don't think so. I was told today that part of why we don't have CW included is that there is some special flagging added to the satellite stream, so I wouldn't expect to find that on the channels that you or I choose.

Will you be able to start a PTAT program from the beginning before it finishes recording it?

Yes, you can start watching via the DVR menu as soon as it starts recording but, in answer to a related question I'm not going to search for, none of the boxes can watch PTAT live, just "almost live."
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#71 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,519 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

I was told today that part of why we don't have CW included is that there is some special flagging added to the satellite stream, so I wouldn't expect to find that on the channels that you or I choose.

I can see the flags, and have been reporting their addition to channels for the past few months (in Uplink Activity). So far only "abc", "nbc", "cbs" and "fox" tags are added. There should be no technical reason not to be able to add a "cw" tag, but it would require the channel to be on the same transponder as the big four for each market and depending on if they are recording the whole transponder or just the streams needed for the big four it would take up more space on the hard drive.

#72 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

Finally, these new descriptor [0xA0...] coming to light. I think, the desc will be used for parsing [whole] mux, ie for separation big four.

#73 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,509 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:03 AM

Let's continue/keep this discussion in the Press Release thread from now on...

http://www.dbstalk.c...311#post2937311

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall