Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Satellite TV Deal - Lock in 2011 Sale Prices

nomad

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

As usual this is for new subscribers only while the rest of us pay the annual increase!

http://www.directv.c...B8938A01A0A0N28

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

Actually, if you are a new subscriber, I don't think you should have to pay an increase in your first year. This never made sense to me... after I signed up, 3 months later the price went up. I didn't like that at all.

For those that do take advantage of this offer, their 2013 increase will include the 2012 + 2013 increase. So you basically forgo the 4% increase for a year, then get an 8% increase the following year.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

So please explain the point of a price increase if existing customers also got locked into an existing price for a year?

#4 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

So please explain the point of a price increase if existing customers also got locked into an existing price for a year?

Good point! :lol:

#5 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

As part of the process of deciding whether or not to bolt to e*, I've been looking at the D* and E* web sites every day. For the current "lock in 2011 prices deal", toward the end of December the web page counted down every day: only 3 days left, 2 days, one day, then "last day" on Dec. 31. Then on Jan. 1 the countdown just disappeared and the fine print says the deal is good until sometime in Feb. I really dislike dishonesty like this. I should be used to it from the airlines and phone companies, but I just have a hard time accepting it.

#6 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:45 AM

As part of the process of deciding whether or not to bolt to e*, I've been looking at the D* and E* web sites every day. For the current "lock in 2011 prices deal", toward the end of December the web page counted down every day: only 3 days left, 2 days, one day, then "last day" on Dec. 31. Then on Jan. 1 the countdown just disappeared and the fine print says the deal is good until sometime in Feb. I really dislike dishonesty like this. I should be used to it from the airlines and phone companies, but I just have a hard time accepting it.

So you are upset that they changed their minds and extended a sale?
DogLover

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

Some people need a deadline in order to push them over the edge. Its the old car dealership mentality, "If you buy today...." Maybe DIRECTV didn't reach their sales goal, so they extend the deal to bring in more business. Nothing wrong with that.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

So you are upset that they changed their minds and extended a sale?

Of course not, but in the point I was try to make, there are only two possibilities:

1) They decided to extend the sale on 12/31 and had it all in place by 1/1.

-or-

2) The 12/31 "last day" warning on the website was dishonest.

Both are of course possible but I lean heavily toward the likelihood of #2.

#9 OFFLINE   rainydave

rainydave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

IMHO....Much ado about nothing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nomad

Protected By... spam firewall...And...