Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Buying a HR24

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Robmoo

Robmoo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

I'm a bit confused about this entire "buying" thing. How can one tell if one is actually buying a receiver vs paying a premium to get a leased receiver with a new contract commitment?

I'd llike to buy a HR24 so I can upgrade the HD to 2BT. The wife likes to keep her shows for an extended period so I do the whole home DVR thing between 2 receiver and need at least 1.5TB of storage.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

If you're paying under $600, it's a lease. In fact, it's almost always a lease. If you really want to buy, look at places like ebay and craigslist. Have the seller give you the receiver ID and access card numbers, and then call DIRECTV and confirm that it is an owned receiver.

If you're looking to upgrade an HR24, note that there are some drives which will not physically fit in an HR24-200. I'd advise against buying a drive until you have the receiver in hand.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Robmoo

Robmoo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

What about the one Weaknees sells with upgraded storage? Weaknees doesn't speciffy, but for them to crack one open and upgrade it I would think it would have to be owned.

I saw quite a few on eBay. Only a couple of them speciffied that they were owned and gave the RID# so one could confirm.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,396 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

What about the one Weaknees sells with upgraded storage? Weaknees doesn't speciffy, but for them to crack one open and upgrade it I would think it would have to be owned.

If you read Weaknees' "fine print", you'll see unmodified receivers are cover by DirecTV, and you call them, while "Modified" receivers are covered by Weaknees, so you need to deal with them.

"The truth is" they'll all still leased.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

If you're paying under $600, it's a lease. In fact, it's almost always a lease. If you really want to buy, look at places like ebay and craigslist. Have the seller give you the receiver ID and access card numbers, and then call DIRECTV and confirm that it is an owned receiver.

If you're looking to upgrade an HR24, note that there are some drives which will not physically fit in an HR24-200. I'd advise against buying a drive until you have the receiver in hand.

Just to clarify the title says HR24 so the owned price from DIRECTV is $499.

#6 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

robmco

When you get enough posts PM me and I will set you up with a dealer who will sell you a brand new HR24 which you will own. If you want to put it under the wheels of you car and run over it fine. And it is nowhere near $500.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

robmco

When you get enough posts PM me and I will set you up with a dealer who will sell you a brand new HR24 which you will own. If you want to put it under the wheels of you car and run over it fine. And it is nowhere near $500.

Dealers do not sell owned HR24's. Only DirecTv can do that. I suggest you call DirecTv with the RID # of those boxes you just bought, and see what DirecTv shows in their system for them. Ill BET they are leased.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,396 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

robmco

Dealers do not sell owned HR24's. Only DirecTv can do that. I suggest you call DirecTv with the RID # of those boxes you just bought, and see what DirecTv shows in their system for them. Ill BET they are leased.

"The key" here is when any of them get activated, not when they're "bought".
Used "owned" receiver have already been "keyed" [coded] as owned, not leased.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Robmoo

Robmoo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

I haven't bought any yet. I'm still in the process of doing my homework. I've set up the older HR22 they sent me for the moment. So, I have a pair of HR22'a.

#10 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,150 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

Have you done your homework on external hard drives?

There is plenty of documentation here on what works and it might be easier than owned.

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

"The key" here is when any of them get activated, not when they're "bought".
Used "owned" receiver have already been "keyed" [coded] as owned, not leased.

It's clear that Jerry K's "dealer" is selling used equipment that was already activated on an account that allowed owned equipment if the information is correct that he gave Jerry K.

#12 OFFLINE   Robmoo

Robmoo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

I haven't checked thoroughly about external drives. I've read people complaining about noise and just suddenly have their external drive not detected. It would be easy to throw together a HD and a drive enclosure. In theory esata it should work as equickly as the internal drive. I've only used esata once with one of the toaster style drive bays. It was a quick and easy bakup solution, but the speed was sllooowwww. I ended up modding my HTPC case an installing a 3.5" HD dock.

#13 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,150 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

I have also seen folks complain about noise, the same folks complain about the fans in their HR24's. I snore so it isn't a problem. I also leave my desktop on 24/7 which is in my bedroom.

Both my HR20's have external drives, I don't notice any loss of speed. They acutually seem to work better and dont make the seeking noise that others complain about.

Read the esata threads and spend your mony wisely.

#14 OFFLINE   Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:19 AM

I noticed recently you can buy a leased receiver from Amazon.

#15 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

I noticed recently you can buy a leased receiver from Amazon.

You mean you can "GET" a leased receiver from Amazon as you can't "BUY" a "LEASED" receiver. That would be a contradiction in terms or maybe even an oxymoron. :lol:

#16 OFFLINE   Todd2

Todd2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

Regarding your hard drive question, why not just run an external drive on the HR24?

I have one on my HR23 and HR21 and love them. The HR21 is leased, the HR23 is owned.

spam firewall