Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What does "Test Market" mean?

external hd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

I understand that only "test markets" have the THR22 as an option for them, so I guess I'm now wondering what the significance of that term is.

Part of my wanting to know is what the chances are that this is like a Beta release, or if there are functions or features that might come in a release coincident with or prior to the general release. Does "Test Market" mean that there's a chance for improvement? Or just that they want to slowly roll it out?

I want to know this because I am rather on the fence about things. I came to DirecTV because of the original, SD DirecTiVo. I upgraded to HD and got the HR10-250. While imperfect, I was really disappointed that I had to replace it with the HR21, and have long uttered the manta "worst DVR ever" when I've encountered things about it that I do not like, as well as eagerly awaiting the opportunity to have TiVo again.

What I've read about the THR22 gives me pause. Have I adapted to features of the HR21 which I will lose if I get the THR22? Will the HDUI on the HR21 also leave me feeling like the THR22 is outdated? Does the deprecation of features from the HR10-250 days make a big enough difference? (In particular, the removal of 30 Second Skip makes me ill.)

In the process, I've been evaluating switching to Comcast's Triple Play and buying into TiVo Premiere. I am so on the fence that I ordered the THR22 late last week, and this morning called to delay for a month. I am so torn, and I feel like I need to gather more info!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

I don't think any of that have made the jump haven't had the same trepidations. 30 second skip and lack of MRV are the two big ones for me. The the upside outweighed the downside for me. Honestly, I figured someone would discover a way to enable the 30 second skip. But alas, that hasn't happened. But the FF just works so much better than the D* branded DVRs that I'm not too upset by that after having it for 2 weeks.

But to answer your question, I suspect the test market is merely to allow their tech support to be eased into it. I doubt we'll see much in the way of new features by the time national release comes. That doesn't mean we won't see some down the road, I just don't think the 'test market' moniker has any bearing at this point.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

That's right. This is more of a test for their fulfillment and customer service systems, not a public beta.

I don't see a lot of hope for 30-second skip being added soon, and whole-home — I hate to say "never" but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

I don't see a lot of hope for 30-second skip being added soon, and whole-home — I hate to say "never" but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting.

From an uneducated point of view, Whole Home seems like a much bigger deal than 30-second skip. They *had* 30-second skip in the HR10...

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

It's just a matter of what TiVo Inc chooses to implement.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

Maybe it's just me but what is so huge about 30 sec skip it saves you what maybe 5 seconds for each commercial break?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: external hd

Protected By... spam firewall...And...