Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New channels on DirecTV-14 and DirecTV-15 satellites?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

I was wondering, does anyone know what new channels will be added with the launches of the DirecTV-14 and DirecTV-15 satellites in 2013 and 2014, respectively?

I presume they may add more 1080p and/or 3D channels. However, I could be wrong.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

The last couple of launched have produced small amounts of national basic hd. Mostly HD PPV, Sports and movie channels. Directv needs to add alot of basic cable channels that alot of other providers have.
E!, TruTvHD, Style HD, TCM HD, BBCAHD, Investigation Discovery HD, Hub HD, OWN HD and so on.

But I bet we will not see many new channels.

#3 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

I have not even heard of possible launch dates for these new satellites...I would expect we're still a year or more away. D* definitely needs to add some more national (non-premium) HD channels.. AMC HD, BBC America HD, DIY HD, TCM HD, etc. Most of the cable companies offer these already and D* is falling behind.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#4 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

Satillites age and do come to an end. One or both of these may simply be to replace the aged ones and will bring little more capacity to the system.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#5 OFFLINE   Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Satillites age and do come to an end. One or both of these may simply be to replace the aged ones and will bring little more capacity to the system.

DirecTV's oldest satelite is DirecTV-1R, launched in 1999. Perhaps either DirecTV-14 or DirecTV-15 will replace it.

#6 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

There is already some information about DirecTV14. You can find info on it at http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=179580

It seems destined for 99 and will immediately provide additional ka tps for more channel. What channels that capacity will be used to add is anyones guess but last I looked there was currently space to add a few more channels. You can find some info on that at:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=172899

#7 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

D14 isn't even expected to launch until 2014, so we have at least 2 years before these satellites are available for service.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

spam firewall